Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2008, 23:57   #16

i have the damndest of luck... just when everything was set and i was ready to go and get the car done up my younger brother had an accident in it... busted it!

we've had the car fixed but it no longer rides like before.... just doesn't feel right...
also my folks won't let me have anything more to do with it, especially anything that makes it go way faster (or unsafe as they think)!

so all that hullabaloo and i am back to square one!
upside tho is that i have been driving a new civic more n more and beginning to love it... for its size its nimble and moves quicker than it feels and its stable...hell its rock steady in heavy rain on that slick eastern expressway stretch at 110kmph... total respect for the honda engineers... my need for speed has been temporarily answered...

the SA guys were nice the only issues were,
1) how to pay for and get those cams shipped from here... they do not have an online payment system
2) getting a response on email... i generally got replies at intervals of 2-3 weeks!

from what i learned during my research, you can swap in a 1.8L ... a 2.0L would probably be big for the engine bay... dunno... but you would have to get the engine mounts redone AND the transmission, suspension and brakes and a number of small things... it would be more expensive and would be more of a full on engineering job than just a mechanic retooling... the balance of the car would also change so that would require some work to correct.
the only thing is 1.8L and above is where you start to get some serious returns on tuning a car... the right 1.8L engine tuned properly can hit 200+ BHP at the wheel without breaking a sweat... that kind of power with a low weight of around 1000Kg or less and that money would all feel well spent... thats what i think...

as for where and what you can get others maybe able to help you out more...
Old 1st August 2008, 00:57   #17
BHPian

eeks!

Gautamz, really sorry to hear about ur Ikon! that sucks, I've been through a similar experience...only it was I that crashed it!

Well, I definitely won't be going for an engine swap. Even with a 1.8L, I feel the indian ikon chassis may not be able to take the extra pressure. dunno.

As far as Steve Wyndham goes, I'll probably only get cams much later....waiting to get my headers and cylinder head work done first!

cheers mate, have fun in the Civic!
Old 2nd September 2008, 15:10   #18

Suggestions for Ikon upgradation.....

Hi
I am going to buy a second hand Ikon. No wonder purely for modifications.
There is a long list of Upgradation from stock Ikon.

First is Suspensions. So suggestions for any sports suspensions.
Old 2nd September 2008, 16:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai-Zen-Bk View Post
No wonder purely for modifications.
For that very reason, do not buy an ikon, get a old city or a lancer instead. Ask fellow member "abhik" about his quest for modding his ikon.
Old 2nd September 2008, 16:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

i second autopsyche's suggestion. Modifications (both performance & aesthetic) and ikon do not go hand in glove. please consider a OHC or lancer or baleno.
Old 2nd September 2008, 17:07   #21
BHPian

or even an old esteem.
Old 5th September 2008, 13:16   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai-Zen-Bk View Post
Hi
I am going to buy a second hand Ikon. No wonder purely for modifications.
There is a long list of Upgradation from stock Ikon.

First is Suspensions. So suggestions for any sports suspensions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche View Post
For that very reason, do not buy an ikon, get a old city or a lancer instead. Ask fellow member "abhik" about his quest for modding his ikon.
Ha Ha Ha.....Now i guess my "Quest" for modding my Ikon has just become a joke!!!
Because in 1 and a half year that i had bought it since, the only mods that i could do was a cat-back exhaust and a KnN but have spent more than 1.25Lacs, majority of which has been maintenence and parts replacement(all this has been non-accidental)excluding the CNG kit that i got because it has an appetite for petrol, specifically 5-7km/ltr, something you really dont feel like spending because a Porche can do better with FE with tripple the power and its a "PORCHE". And there are better Jap competitors out there in the 1.5/1.6L category which can smoke the Ikon any day in all respects, be it performance, ease of internal/external mods,maintenence, FE, reliability, cost and availability of spares etc.

No doubt there still is'nt a car that i could find better in handling, but thats almost all the good that i could sum up about the Ikon.

External mods-Again not much you can play around with. End of the day you would still prefer the stock looks, everything else hardly enhance the looks and rather deteriorate it. Be it wheels/bodykit/spoilers.
Hell it will be hard for you to live with 15" on this car. And moreover its 108PCD in which only the ugliest of alloys are available.

Try and fiddle around with the engine too much and there is a fair chance something might conk off. Strangely it runs best with OEM parts ONLY which are bloody expensive. Imagine fog lamps that cost Rs.3200 a piece!!! A head job costs Rs.450000-50000!!!
I have changed a lot other parts and frankly now have lots count of everything.

Again being a Ford probably the engine is good for a lakh more kms, it has done 110000kms already but the engine internals like pistons, crank etc are holding up well. But cost of periodic maintenence just kills you and drains you of all the savings you would have for mods.
There are niggling problems like the sensors(TP) and IAC valves conking off every now and then.

@Kai-Zen-Bk-I think i can go on forever but i dont think i would buy a Ford again and i think you get the point.

Get an OHC VTEC or OHC TYPE II 1.5 or a Suzi Baleno, mod it to glory and be happy till you have the car. Trust me they wont ever dissapoint you in any ways whatsoever.
Just stay away from Ikons!!!!
Old 9th September 2008, 16:45   #23

OH my Gosh!

Oh god after checking all of your suggestions I am little worried. Let me tell you all, I was almost about on a deal for Ikon but not now.
Thanks A lot for suggestions. Specially Abhik

From now onwards I will certainly look for these Vehicles only.
Old 9th September 2008, 17:56   #24
BHPian

just curious but when you guys say OHC and baleno mods - i've heard that OHC parts are becoming rare. and baleno isn't supposed to be the most mod friendly engine either. at least these are things i've heard. from what i hear, the esteem is a good project car.
Old 16th September 2008, 22:44   #25
Senior - BHPian

need tips/help for modding my ikon zxi-mods.jpg

A bhian bought this site to my notice. Wanted to mod his ikon. Iam not sure who it was. But thats the site above and iam planning on ordering those performance cams for the ikon.Incl shipping its 200$ u.s odd..which isnt bad at all.
So what do you guys think..?? Would it be a good mod??? Is it ok to go in for this..??
Old 18th September 2008, 08:16   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_shadow View Post
just curious but when you guys say OHC and baleno mods - i've heard that OHC parts are becoming rare. and baleno isn't supposed to be the most mod friendly engine either. at least these are things i've heard. from what i hear, the esteem is a good project car.
Not true, OHC parts are still available in plenty, as the block share designs and parts with other available Honda engines and the present gen NHC, just the heads differ so availability of parts is not an issue, might be the exterior parts that you are talking about that might be a little difficult to procure.
Quite true that the Baleno is not very mod friendy but the reliability of a modded Baleno is far greater than that of an IKon, plus the difference in performace after mods is tremendous. The engine bay has quite a lot of space to play around with specially if you think of TCin it. As compared to the Ikon with cramped engine bay. Reliability of electricals is a major issue with the Ikon, which is often is unnoticed but plays a major role in modification.
Esteem by far can be classified as a "mod till your tired" kind of a car and it still might have some potential but its looks have become very dated due to which it looses out on most peoples wish list now a days. Plus it still is a 1.3L afterall and as they say "there is no replacement for displacement".

Last edited by abhik : 18th September 2008 at 08:28.
Old 18th September 2008, 08:19   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
Attachment 50593

A bhian bought this site to my notice. Wanted to mod his ikon. Iam not sure who it was. But thats the site above and iam planning on ordering those performance cams for the ikon.Incl shipping its 200$ u.s odd..which isnt bad at all.
So what do you guys think..?? Would it be a good mod??? Is it ok to go in for this..??
If you are really intended to make your Ikon a weekend drag vehicle the go in for internal mods like cams and forged pistons etc. If its your daily drive then stay away because reliability will go kaput!
Old 18th September 2008, 09:03   #28
BHPian

@MODS: My appologies for writing back to back posts as the time to edit the previous post expired.

@danlalan-If you intend on starting up a project then you are probably thinking of changing the cam profile for starters and then moving up. But if thats not your intention then there are a few things you might want to do before that because every mod on an engine requires to go step by step from scratch in order to give you the maximum desired output as everything works together as a unit.
I would say go for the CAI, custom piping would be required as the battery hinders the the positioning, for starters stick to the original(OE) diameter for torque, if you notice, beneath the air-box is an opening, between the apron and wheelwell where you can see the shock absorber, that is a very good location for the filer as cold air is drawn from outside, to get maximum benefits get a custom airbox designed to draw air from there and behind the bumper, the air box will also sheild the filter from drawing hot air from the engine bay.
Get a custom FFE complete with headers.
Get the head ported and pistons polished.
Get the Throttle body enlarged.
Drive for some time, see the difference these mods made and then think of internal mods.
Whatever you do your utmost priority should be better brakes. Try it if possible or research into fitting the Mondeo's brake booster.
You are in Mumbai and Jitu(Ford Rocam) is the best person to get in touch with for mods on the Ikon, he has been there done that.
I am yet to install a piping for my K n N, right now its just the stock pipe with the resonator removed and a make shift taping covering that opening.
Couple of pics as you requested. These pics are with the stock airbox(bottom half). I earlier thought of keeping it, as it may prove beneficial in drawing cold air from where is did earlier but turned out otherwise so its not ther anymore.
Attached Thumbnails
need tips/help for modding my ikon zxi-15062008.jpg  

need tips/help for modding my ikon zxi-15062008001.jpg  

need tips/help for modding my ikon zxi-15062008002.jpg  

Old 18th September 2008, 09:28   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
Get the head ported and pistons polished.

Hi,

Can you tell me how excatly is this done and what purpose it achieves. This is something new I have heard.

Viper
Old 18th September 2008, 12:25   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hi,

Can you tell me how excatly is this done and what purpose it achieves. This is something new I have heard.

Viper
Whoops! Sorry typo error there!

Using internet for unofficial purpose is sort of illegal in my office so i am continuously switchin screens. Dont know where i plonked in pistons from!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks