Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2012, 20:18   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: K&N Typhoon Intake Kit for Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The next step now would be to get a remap done. Why don't you go through GTO's Civic thread. If my memory serves me right, he got it chipped and it has improved the initial response a great deal. Bottom end torque is no longer weak. This helps city-drivability.
GTO has not chipped his Civic, and even getting a remap or chipping would not yeild any great results on an NA car. The Automech exhaust would have helped with low down torque along with Typhoon.
Old 20th September 2012, 20:38   #32
BHPian

Yeah, Like I said, I've been given alot of suggestions to tinker with the exhaust, something I don't plan to do.
Because I heard GTO's civic on the dyno, and it was a little too loud for my liking,
With JUST the filter, it gets a little loud beyond 3k rpm, Which kind of works out perfectly because if I have the windows rolled up, and music at a normal volume, Noone can tell the difference if the car is sedately driven,wrt noise atleast,So if I'm alone and want to enjoy the growl it gives, I'm free to do that as well.
Another fellow Team-BHPian Dinu had got has cat con removed, He said it improved low end drivability to a great extent,that's something I could consider as it costed about 3k, and another mod that I could do is the autorunner in between the suspension, the car doesn't bottom out alot because now i know how to go over the humps, but it has a basstube in the boot, so I'm sure the autorunner will only help,But i'm looking to buy that locally as I'm not too much of a e-buyer.
Besides that, performance wise, I'm done, I don't plan to tinker with this anymore, I absolutely love the way she's driving right now, Don't want anything more or anything less out of her at the moment, But then again, You should never say never on team-bhp specially since I'd never thought in my wildest dreams I'd get even this far wrt modding my car(I know stage 1 isn't a big deal to alot of people out here) but for me, it most definitely is!
and Suhaas, Won't get permission for alloys at home man.
Do you think I should get the stock alloys painted to black on a black civic?(just a thought, dont want my car to end up in the W&W Section)
Don't plan cosmetic mods either, unless some subtle ideas come along the way
Was looking at projector headlamps, But they cost a fortune in India, and couldn't get the Filter and headlamps from the US, (If wishes were horses...)
Asked around for projectors+ Hid lamps, or HIDs just in the fogs, all working out to be a very expensive proposition right now, but don't want to rule out the possibility

Last edited by raghav.carfreak : 20th September 2012 at 20:41.
Old 20th September 2012, 20:42   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
GTO has not chipped his Civic, and even getting a remap or chipping would not yeild any great results on an NA car. The Automech exhaust would have helped with low down torque along with Typhoon.
My bad. Think I may have gotten mixed up with someone else's Civic.

Chipping a NA car will not yield power gains in terms of % but it WILL improve drivability, and that's what I was hinting at. Obviously, the manufacturer's stock settings are usually optimum for peak power.

Automech's down-pipe / de-cat will help negate the lack of bottom-end torque, but I don't think he's interested in an aftermarket exhaust.

EDIT: Raghav, my suggestion would be to mod the car so that you get some gain from it. Projector headlights might look good initially (not to me, they look el-cheapo, especially after a year) but they do cost a bomb and are only cosmetic. Get better bulbs instead. It's entirely up to you though. If you fancy them, go for it. Personally, I don't. I'd also suggest you avoid the powder-coat on the alloys. It would look better on larger wheels and not on the stock 15" alloys.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 20th September 2012 at 20:50.
Old 20th September 2012, 20:45   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Obviously, the manufacturer's stock settings are usually optimum for peak power.
Cmon since when do manufacturers do this? At least on most cars the power is detuned to keep a certain level of driveability and fuel economy. I was referring to the Automech exhaust in GTOs case where it would have improved torque, wasn't suggesting our friend here gets it.
Old 20th September 2012, 21:01   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Cmon since when do manufacturers do this? At least on most cars the power is detuned to keep a certain level of driveability and fuel economy. I was referring to the Automech exhaust in GTOs case where it would have improved torque, wasn't suggesting our friend here gets it.
Well, most manufacturers in India do resort to de-tuning engines for better efficiency. In fact, manufacturers all around the world tailor the fuel map to give optimum economy, smoothness and lower emissions. I said peak-power earlier, as that's the peak power in that state of tune. But I think the Civic's 1.8 R18 mill produces as much as it can in it's stock state of tune. For seriously substantial gains, you will need to turbo it. Intakes and exhausts aren't going to cut it. It will only aid the turbo in delivering better.

Noticeable improvement in power isn't possible in a naturally aspirated car by fitting a "chip" or having it "chipped", as you'd rightly mentioned earlier. If you do not increase the flow of air, it cannot make more power than it already is doing! That chip simply tells the fuel system how much is the CORRECT amount of fuel to add! But it will definitely improve drivability.
Old 20th September 2012, 21:05   #36
BHPian

Personally I'm very happy with what I've accomplished. Hint of sound and a car with better pick up/drivability. I'm not looking at numbers,nor am I looking at taking this baby on the track.
If you compare this to the ICE section, it's like a basic HU+ 2 speakers, makes one happy,Relatively That's the case, Like you can do the shebang of exhaust,remap and alot of other things, but still scared to venture further without proper research, right now, not too keen on it either, Lack of Vitamin M is definitely a major factor but I'm not one of those who redlines each gear either.
The main reason to go in for a k&n typhoon kit as compared to a Green cotton/BMC filter with custom plumbing was that(even though the other filters make alot more noise)
Firstly, it's custom made for the civic, So that basically means, They've put in a great amount of R&D into it, and secondly, It takes proper care of the MAF censors and stuff, after spending 15k to get an 02 Sensor replaced earlier, and a busted 02 sensor in OHC(which I didn't even get replaced while selling) It was a significant reason to tilt in the typhoon kit's favour

Last edited by raghav.carfreak : 20th September 2012 at 21:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks