Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2008, 23:56   #1
BHPian

Spares/Accessories for Sumo Grande

Hi All:

I am planning to buy Sumo Grande and decided on getting the EX model which is the second best after the GX model. This quite naturally means that I would loose out on few accessories/spares which otherwise would have got along with the GX Model.

Certain important Accessories (Spares) that I think should be mandatory are Electric Rear View Mirror/Rear Glass demister (defogger)/Rear Window Wiper etc. Hence I inquired with TATA Dealer (Concorde Motors) for these so that the same can be fitted by the dealers. And its almost a day gone they could not figure these spares out. I am sure possibly because of Sumo Grande being a new vehicle this is a challenge.

Now I am contemplating on getting these spares/accessories fitted by the third party vendor otherthan the dealer who are not sure of what they are suppose to know.

Can you gentlemen please advice whether these below mentioned spares can be bought and fitted from third party vendors otherthan the dealer. How much of risks involved. If so please let me know the right vendors n Chennai possibly.

a. Electric Rear View Mirror
b. Rear Glass demister (defogger)
c. Rear Window Wiper

I am very skeptical in having these fitted by the third party vendors but then you TATA ..

Thank you,
Old 18th April 2008, 10:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

If TATA dealers are finding it difficult to fix these, I dont know if the dealers outside will be able to do a neat job.

They will agree for sure but then just make a workaround to avoid loosing a customer.

Better to wait and get it done once they have the spares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivag View Post
Hi All:

Certain important Accessories (Spares) that I think should be mandatory are Electric Rear View Mirror/Rear Glass demister (defogger)/Rear Window Wiper etc. Hence I inquired with TATA Dealer (Concorde Motors) for these so that the same can be fitted by the dealers. And its almost a day gone they could not figure these spares out. I am sure possibly because of Sumo Grande being a new vehicle this is a challenge.

Now I am contemplating on getting these spares/accessories fitted by the third party vendor otherthan the dealer who are not sure of what they are suppose to know.

Can you gentlemen please advice whether these below mentioned spares can be bought and fitted from third party vendors otherthan the dealer. How much of risks involved. If so please let me know the right vendors n Chennai possibly.

c. Rear Window Wiper

I am very skeptical in having these fitted by the third party vendors but then you TATA ..

Thank you,
Old 18th April 2008, 17:17   #3
BHPian

Quote:
c. Rear Window Wiper
Rear Glass Demister / wiper will mean changes to the wiring harness and / or drilling additional hole in the tail gate (for the wiper)

The demiester will mean that you will have to put in a new rear glass - the wiring harness problem aside.

As regards the electric rear view mirrow: I am not sure where the motor for the mirror is fitted. The wiring harness / switches will have to be fitted sepatrately.

I do not think that such modifications will be possible in the market for a new vehicle abd yes, as Dadu mentioned, availability of spares outside may be problem.

The problem with warranty may be an additional headache.

Better wait or buy the higher end if Vitamin M permits.
Old 18th April 2008, 17:51   #4
BANNED

Looks like the cost of doing the after market upgrades would bring your costs on par witht he top end version??
Old 18th April 2008, 18:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

Rear defogger can be fitted easily. The heat(er) elements (?) are pasted on the rear screen. But, warranty issues will crop up.
If the higher Grande version comes with electric ORVMs, those units can be retrofitted at the A.S.S. later on.
Rear wiper is the major problem me thinks. I tried that on our '96 Sumo long time back. The A.S.S made a monkey's a*% of it.
Old 18th April 2008, 23:42   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Looks like the cost of doing the after market upgrades would bring your costs on par witht he top end version??
Absolutely. Especially the defogger part is going to be amazingly costly as the entire rear glass will have to be replaced. And this cannot, I repeat cannot, be done anywhere else but at the company's workshop. If you get it done from outside, the strips will fall off sooner or later, especially if you have small kids who would love to drive their toy cars over them.

My advice: go for the GX model and be in peace, or else forget about the defogger and make do with the other accessories you are planning.
Old 19th April 2008, 14:35   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
c. Rear Window Wiper
All three require modifications to the electronic circuit, new parts and some really good labour quality. If you must have these, I'd suggest going with the GX model.

Otherwise, first buy the EX, enjoy her for a couple of months and then revisit this thread.
Old 19th April 2008, 15:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

What's the price difference between an EX & GX?

Quote:
Hi All:

I am planning to buy Sumo Grande and decided on getting the EX model which is the second best after the GX model.

Thank you,
Old 19th April 2008, 19:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

@shivag >> whatever modifications or accessories you add, do make sure they do not affect or void your warranty.
Old 21st April 2008, 20:53   #10
BHPian

First apologies for being away from this thread and Many Thanks to all of you for your interest in answering my queries. Looks like these 3 parts gonna give a lot of headache in future. Either I should learn to live the EX with existing limitations or should go for GX.

The cost difference between these two models is Rs.63388/- Chennai price! Thought rear wiper and demister/defogger are very good must have items on your car from safety and convenience perspective! Anyway let me give a thought to it. I will keep all updated.

Cheers,
Shiva

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks