Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2008, 00:20   #1
TDR

Is this an Alto VXi Muffler?

Hiya, fellow Team-BHP members!

I recently bought a, used, Suzuki Alto VXi, in mint condition. It came with the "stock" exhaust from Suzuki/Maruti. As I live in Europe I was wondering if the "stock" exhaust on my car is the same as the "stock" exhaust on the Suzuki Alto VXi sold in India.

I'm talking about the 1.1 litre MPI 16v Suzuki Alto VXi.

The reason for this question is simple. I want to replace the "stock" muffler
with a high quality "free flow" muffler.

With high quality I mean not much louder than "stock", just lower in tone,
with a true gain in performance, following the basic "stock" design (single
end-muffler with a pipe over the rear axle), with a nice chrome, end-tip,
of course!

I hope the included picture will help. Any suggestions are welcome!

TDR
Attached Thumbnails
Is this an Alto VXi Muffler?-alto-vxi-muffler.jpg  

Old 23rd April 2008, 11:12   #2
BHPian

Hi TDR, I think this is the same as the one used here - looks very similar to the one I removed from my Alto 18 months ago anyway

The RF410 code also seems to be right - will try to get the corresponding details from the parts catalog used here & post them.
Old 25th April 2008, 00:19   #3
TDR

Thanks, im_srini!

This answer is really helpful to me!cheers: In other parts of Asia, where the
Japanese version of the Alto was sold, a different exhaust system was fitted.

Got this from the Suzuki Worldwide EPG. Seems the Alto VXi's sold in Europe,
India and Latin America were, basically, the same.

So I'll probably find an aftermarket, performance exhaust, in those parts of
the world. If I find any at all... if not I'll probably have new "cat to back"
system, custom made.

TDR
Old 26th May 2008, 15:16   #4
BHPian

Hi TDR, here's the corresponding picture from the Parts-Catalog of the Maruti Alto available here. However, in reality the pipe from the muffler has a curve to it (& isn't just a pipe with bends as shown in the picture). I think Remus has a muffler for the Wagon-R which is almost identical in design to this one - I think it should work pretty well for the Alto 1.1 as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Is this an Alto VXi Muffler?-rf410_exhaust.jpg  

Last edited by im_srini : 26th May 2008 at 15:18.
Old 11th October 2011, 23:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

help required foe silencer for alto 1.1

My Alto Vx1.1 might need a replacement silencer soon. Can anyone advice me whether the Silencers of Alto 1.1 and Alto 800 are one and the same or not?
Old 12th October 2011, 23:14   #6
BHPian

Re: help required for silencer for alto 1.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
My Alto Vx1.1 might need a replacement silencer soon. Can anyone advice me whether the Silencers of Alto 1.1 and Alto 800 are one and the same or not?
The end-cans are the same for the F8D Alto (RF308) & the F10D Alto (RF410) - the part numbers are the same (14300M76G00) in the parts catalog.

For the F8D Alto available from Jan 2005 (BS3) onwards, the end-can appears to be different (part number is 14300M79G00).

In any case, if you quote the correct part number when you're ordering parts, you can't go wrong - you still get parts for the F10D Alto quite easily.
im_srini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 20:44   #7
BHPian

Underbody rattles in Alto

Hi Team

I have a '07 Alto which has run 40700 kms. For the last few days I am hearing two distinct rattling noises from underneath the car. First one and the more prominent one is a metallic rattling sound presumably from the exhaust pipe right below the driver's seat. This goes away once the engine has warmed up but it comes back intermittently. Maruti A.S.S. said there might be corrosion inside the pipe and might need replacement; I am trying to get a second opinion from an FNG on this.

Second one has started very recently, this is more like a chain or mesh trapped inside the exhaust towards the end can. This again happens intermittently and is less frequent than the first one.

Any pointers on what might be the possible reasons?

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th February 2015 at 17:20. Reason: Putting "."s in acronym to avoid any confusion :)
Old 12th February 2015, 20:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

Re: Underbody rattles in Alto

The baffles inside the silencer has corroded and fallen off. A fit case for a silencer replacement.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 21:04   #9
BHPian

Quote:
The baffles inside the silencer has corroded and fallen off. A fit case for a silencer replacement.
Thanks for your input. How critical is this? I'm hard pressed for time this week and have quite a bit of travel coming up; should this be fixed asap or is it ok to run for a couple hundred kms?

Also what could be the approx damage to the wallet? A.S.S folks said 3k + tax which sounded a bit on the higher side.

Note from Mod : Could you please use DOTS like A.S.S or easiest would be ASC (After Sales Center). Thanks

Last edited by mobike008 : 13th February 2015 at 01:21.
Old 12th February 2015, 22:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkiran View Post
Thanks for your input. How critical is this? I'm hard pressed for time this week and have quite a bit of travel coming up; should this be fixed asap or is it ok to run for a couple hundred kms?

Also what could be the approx damage to the wallet? ASS folks said 3k + tax which sounded a bit on the higher side.
3k is fine AFAIK. There won't be any problem if you can bear the noise and as long as it doesn't interfere with the catalytic converter.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 23:02   #11
BHPian

Quote:
I have a '07 Alto which has run 40700 kms.
For the last few days I am hearing two distinct rattling noises from underneath the car.
Cross-posting the Alto's exhaust arrangement from an earlier post for reference.

Sometimes, the rubber mounts that are used to 'hang' the exhaust deteriorate & cause 'clanging'.

Quote:
Also what could be the approx damage to the wallet ? ASS folks said 3k + tax which sounded a bit on the higher side.
Yes, the MGP muffler ( end-can ) alone is ~ Rs.2,950 - tax on spares is 14.5% in TN.
im_srini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2015, 23:10   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.. should this be fixed asap or is it ok to run for a couple hundred kms?
Also what could be the approx damage to the wallet? ASS folks said 3k + tax which sounded a bit on the higher side.
Not necessary for a forthwith replacement. The price quoted is for a MGP silencer. Non MGP one would cost around 70% of the MGP one.
Is an hour's job, for the replacement.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2015, 07:55   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Not necessary for a forthwith replacement. The price quoted is for a MGP silencer. Non MGP one would cost around 70% of the MGP one.
Is an hour's job, for the replacement.
When the car is stopped simply hit the silencer bottom with your hands(do not touch the hot silencer if you have recently run the car ),.If something is broken you will hear it move inside.
I had the same problem in my alto in 2013. I paid 2900 for alto LXI end can silencer at MASS. I was quoted around 1600 for non genuine part by FNG .The FNG was also willing cut open the silencer remove the stray pieces and weld it back together for around 300, sort of like like silencer surgery, but I refused. It will take about 30 minutes to replace. You can continue using your car safely though in case you dont have the time to repair the car right now.

Last edited by bullrun87 : 13th February 2015 at 08:00.
Old 26th April 2016, 12:34   #14
BHPian

Re: Is this an Alto VXi Muffler?

Dear experts, I have been driving Alto K10 VXi since last 4 years. The car clocked approx. 32000 kms in odo and serviced in a timely manner. Recently I noticed a mild unusual sound (grr,grr) from the rear portion of the car while accelerating. I am almost sure that this sound comes from silencer. I need your kind suggestion what type of rectification or full replacement I should consider. Please guide me.
Old 27th April 2016, 09:48   #15
BHPian

Re: Is this an Alto VXi Muffler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHigh View Post
Dear experts, I have been driving Alto K10 VXi since last 4 years. The car clocked approx. 32000 kms in odo and serviced in a timely manner. Recently I noticed a mild unusual sound (grr,grr) from the rear portion of the car while accelerating. I am almost sure that this sound comes from silencer. I need your kind suggestion what type of rectification or full replacement I should consider. Please guide me.
I think you should first take it to a decent garage which has a lift. Then make sure you replicate the problem and pinpoint the source of the sound. It could even be a loose exhaust shield or a broken exhaust hanger of sorts. If it is an end-can leak, look into welding options. Don't waste your money on new parts if the old ones can be repaired for peanuts.

Most Viewed