Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2009, 09:40   #421
Senior - BHPian

[quote=harmon_bro;1285881]Hello DocG,
Iam not biased to anyone here. The tuner who is being targeted here is one of the best in the industry and its the same guy who had been producing wonderful cars for a couple of years now. Its not that all tuners or few tuners do a flaw free mod. In a country like ours where modding and performance upgrade is growing and still maturing at a fast pace we should be happy that we have some tuners in existence when compared to other countries where modding is at its peak with advanced technology. Its the same guy who had done wonderful job on Abix earlier projects.

# @harman bro

With all due respect. The "wonderful jobs" done on Abix's previous projects were all cosmetic. It is the first time the engine or mechanicals have been done by him.

Mechanicals is NOT his forte & I think to accept that is better than messing up people's cars.

As for his having some rationale on why things went how they did, please read Accordmasters thread of the 14 months wait & more

Cheers
Old 3rd May 2009, 10:21   #422
BHPian

[quote=Ricky_63;1286103]
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmon_bro View Post
Hello DocG,
Iam not biased to anyone here. The tuner who is being targeted here is one of the best in the industry and its the same guy who had been producing wonderful cars for a couple of years now. Its not that all tuners or few tuners do a flaw free mod. In a country like ours where modding and performance upgrade is growing and still maturing at a fast pace we should be happy that we have some tuners in existence when compared to other countries where modding is at its peak with advanced technology. Its the same guy who had done wonderful job on Abix earlier projects.

# @harman bro

With all due respect. The "wonderful jobs" done on Abix's previous projects were all cosmetic. It is the first time the engine or mechanicals have been done by him.

Mechanicals is NOT his forte & I think to accept that is better than messing up people's cars.

As for his having some rationale on why things went how they did, please read Accordmasters thread of the 14 months wait & more

Cheers
Ricky I had already read that thread. I dont want to get in your way of running over a tuner. I just shared my thoughts and thanks for your response and lets stop just there. No offence just that I dont see any productive discussion happening here than just pulling a tuner down.

Ricky out of curiosity are you in the business of tuning lately?
Old 3rd May 2009, 15:08   #423
Senior - BHPian

[quote=harmon_bro;1286134]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post

Ricky I had already read that thread. I dont want to get in your way of running over a tuner. I just shared my thoughts and thanks for your response and lets stop just there. No offence just that I dont see any productive discussion happening here than just pulling a tuner down.

# Firstly I am not "running over" any tuner. Unless statement of facts qualifies for that.
# I think let the affected party / parties deciede if it is meaningful or not. Out of curosity, are you into the PR business also ?

Ricky out of curiosity are you in the business of tuning lately?
# Do I take that as a compliment ??

# No offence taken or meant

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 3rd May 2009 at 15:28.
Old 3rd May 2009, 22:21   #424
BHPian

Another mishap today guys, on the NH8 my front left tire lost air pressure. When checked there was a large tear which basically meant the whole tire needs to be replaced. The road side mechanics helped and got a tube placed inside the tire so that i could go back. While reaching home, notice some squeaking noises again while turning the steering, my guesses are power steering is about to fail again.
Old 3rd May 2009, 23:43   #425
BANNED

@harman bro - hey dude would like to clear your doubt about "The tuner who is being targeted here is one of the best in the industry and its the same guy who had been producing wonderful cars for a couple of years now." all the mods done were cosmetic and as i had already tried out this tuner we here only tell you the good part of the mods want to know about the everyday hassels that were there and plus want an example look at my e34 and what happened in that project you would come to know of the reality then and plus i support what ricky sir said all the stuff done was cosmetic and when i tried him for an engine mod got nowhere and plus screwed up my stock engine too. so i suggest you try him out and then say that hes the best in the industry ....
just my 2 cents from my experience with the tuner
AM
Old 4th May 2009, 00:19   #426
BHPian

@ harmon_bro
I wanted to say the exact same stuff as Ricky, but he beat me to it.

I have nothing against this tuner, nor the industry. In fact I would love to see the industry in India grow and reach the levels of refinement seen abroad. The problem I have is when some tuners take on overambitious projects.

The other issue I have is when they screw these things up!

There should be no reason why a "professional" tuner should screw up such a project when a grease monkey can do the same project with better results in his garage!

Log on to some US or Aus forums, and see the quality of the home project builds! Hell some of those look better than our professional work!!

So the bottom line is that it questions the integrity of the tuner. If he says he can turn your dream into reality he should produce positive results. If he states he'll have the car back to you in a specified time it should be delivered in that time frame, delays are sometimes unforeseen, but if the "best" tuner in India overshoots his deadline by 10 months, then god save us all!

The Chinese have a saying "To loose face". In that case the said tuner is now running around sans head...

**Please remember that my target is not any tuner or individual, it's pointing out the major flaws in the Industry**
Old 4th May 2009, 09:29   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocG View Post
@ harmon_bro
I wanted to say the exact same stuff as Ricky, but he beat me to it.

I have nothing against this tuner, nor the industry. In fact I would love to see the industry in India grow and reach the levels of refinement seen abroad. The problem I have is when some tuners take on overambitious projects.

The other issue I have is when they screw these things up!

There should be no reason why a "professional" tuner should screw up such a project when a grease monkey can do the same project with better results in his garage!

Log on to some US or Aus forums, and see the quality of the home project builds! Hell some of those look better than our professional work!!

So the bottom line is that it questions the integrity of the tuner. If he says he can turn your dream into reality he should produce positive results. If he states he'll have the car back to you in a specified time it should be delivered in that time frame, delays are sometimes unforeseen, but if the "best" tuner in India overshoots his deadline by 10 months, then god save us all!

The Chinese have a saying "To loose face". In that case the said tuner is now running around sans head...

**Please remember that my target is not any tuner or individual, it's pointing out the major flaws in the Industry**

@DocG

+1 to that. Could not have been worded better. A small correction - it ended up being 14 months instead of 10 earlier.

I would go a step further & say, let us NOT compare the Indian scene with that abroad..as they have better infrastructure & resources etc.

But one thing is for sure, if a so called tuner abroad, did what happened to Abix's, Accordmasters or my car/s, all hell would have broken loose.

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 4th May 2009 at 09:32.
Old 4th May 2009, 10:24   #428
BANNED

if tuner did that to our rides abroad then wed have slapped such a huge fine on the tuner that he'd b shutting down the business ..
Old 4th May 2009, 12:54   #429
Team-BHP Support

Abix i would again point you to a dealership service job (detailed one at that), to get the car's mechanicals in shape before anything else. They will give you a good evaluation of the health according to BMW specs.
Old 4th May 2009, 13:06   #430
BHPian

Hi Jaggu, i have been giving it to a dealership only, they are the ones who have been able to sort out the radiator problems for me as well as did other checks. However, what was told to me is that with these old cars, one never knows when an issue might crop up, the dealership has had people come to the service station with some fault but as soon as they reach that fault is gone and as soon as they reach back home that problem occurs again. Now i have a proper service interval scheduled with the dealership and they are more than accomodating with any problem that crops up and rest assured only give the vehicle back when they are fully satisfied that the problem has been dealt with. Money and time was never a problem, what is irritating is when a job is done half heartedly and i have to keep going back to get the same problem fixed over and over again. Cheers
Old 4th May 2009, 17:43   #431
Senior - BHPian

NOW you said it !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abix View Post
Hi Jaggu, i have been giving it to a dealership only, they are the ones who have been able to sort out the radiator problems for me as well as did other checks. However, what was told to me is that with these old cars, one never knows when an issue might crop up, the dealership has had people come to the service station with some fault but as soon as they reach that fault is gone and as soon as they reach back home that problem occurs again. Now i have a proper service interval scheduled with the dealership and they are more than accomodating with any problem that crops up and rest assured only give the vehicle back when they are fully satisfied that the problem has been dealt with. Money and time was never a problem, what is irritating is when a job is done half heartedly and i have to keep going back to get the same problem fixed over and over again. Cheers

Now you said it Abix, job done with no interest ultimately shows, as it has in your case.

Nice to know that you have now got into the proper hands

Cheers
Old 7th May 2009, 13:53   #432
Senior - BHPian

So what's the update on the tyres / rims? Sorted ??

Cheers
Old 7th May 2009, 14:32   #433
Team-BHP Support

Yup Abix old ladies can be very temperamental, and it takes its sweet time to get it right, unless you are in for absolute blind replacement jobs. Especially if you have picked her up second hand, you might not have the nitty gritty details of the previous ownership.

Give it sometime, let the problems pop out and get it fixed and couple of months down the line you will have a sweet ride.
Old 7th May 2009, 20:05   #434
BHPian

Ur right Jaggu, touchwood though, the car is running quite well in this heat. Got a new tire as the front left one developed a massive tear in it. Had gone to couple of people who can remove the bend, however, they all explained that they can remove about 70% of the bend and since the rim needs to be heated to bend the metal back in shape, the lip would get damaged and would be quite visible. So, am running these like they are for the time being, but am on the look out for new rims.
Old 8th May 2009, 00:46   #435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
I would go a step further & say, let us NOT compare the Indian scene with that abroad..as they have better infrastructure & resources etc.
Rickyji - Comparing yourself with someone better should cause you to strive towards bettering yourself. Similarly comparing India with the situation abroad gives us an idea of how far behind we are. We'll get there I'm sure, but until we do I'd strongly advise against such high end projects.

NOW FOR THE REAL JUICE!

Today morning I wake up to the call of one of my friends. He's a sardar who owns his own local garage here. The garage is around 15-17 years old, and he inherited it from his father. He does get everything from an M800 to an E class [Old models] (not seen anything above an E class till date).

Usually these cars come in for denting or repainting etc, and regular servicing (all owned by family men or kids drive it trying to look cool, rarely super ripped like our TBhp cars)
*Flashback*
So around a month back an E36 93 model 316i (green) comes to the shop. The owner wants it repainted, and the basic servicing to be done. I get a call once the owner leaves, and paaji tells me to come by and have a look at the car. He then says the owner wants the car to be red, but is not sure which red will look good, and asks me my opinion. I suggest the BMW Zinno red, available with Dupont and Standox. The owner cheaps out and decides to go with Dupont.

Ok all good. Then the owner says he wants to go a step above regular maintainance and tells me his car isn't performing that well anymore. Again I'm consulted once more. I tell paaji to open up the block, clean it up, clean up the injectors etc and basically clean everything. Then I suggested switching the mechanical fan to an electrical fan with a lower calibrated thermostat (considering our weather) and a new radiator. While the head was off the car I got a mild port job done (2 way porting for those who want to know). The owner calls and says while the car is in the garage he wants those loud exhausts (because his son wants it). Some exhaust guy from Jogeshwari is called in. Never heard or dealt with this guy, he talks some trash as if he's worked with high end cars, but he did produce a great FFE full SS and a perfect copy of one of the headers I've seen. Those were slapped on the car.

I left and paaji tells me he'll call me to inspect the car when it's done. I got that call today morning. A pristine looking Zinno E36 standing before me. I cranked her, she took her time, but did rumble to a start. All's good so far. We take her out onto the highway, I'm treating her gently till then. Now on the EE I let all her 100 odd horses loose, and she pulled better than she did on day 1. Good start, Great finish.

Bay looks CLEAN and the electric fan is working well. Engine has 0 problems and it's a successful job.

Is this job special? NOPE but my point is a local garage was able to take apart a BMW engine, put it back and have 0 problems. They also replaced the radiator and have changed the fan system! And the car is absolutely fine!

Then why is it a reputed tuner messed up the same car which was to be only refurbished and not modified!
Also the paint is flawless metal up and cost around 28-32K I think, don't know what Autopsyche charges, but this LOCAL garage has done impeccable paint jobs! and I've never seen any complaints!

Sorry, but I had to throw that out there. I felt ashamed that we have tuners in our country who can't seem to get simple jobs right!

DocG

Most Viewed