Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2008, 00:36   #1
BHPian

when do tyres need to be changed??

i have a 2004 santro with stock tyres and it has approx 47000 kms and the tyres have almost been used up or "bald"......

so i wanted to know when do the tyres generally get bad and which brand to use for replacing them.

thanks
Old 2nd May 2008, 11:59   #2
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmob View Post
i have a 2004 santro with stock tyres and it has approx 47000 kms and the tyres have almost been used up or "bald"......

so i wanted to know when do the tyres generally get bad and which brand to use for replacing them.
This depends strongly on your usage and driving style. When tread depth is below minimum (~1.6 mm) the tread depth indicator will be visible on the tyres and at that point you should definitely replace the tyres. For highway use, you are better off replacing the tyres when tread depth is about ~3 mm. Your braking and wet grip will be badly affected if you run your tyres bald.

You can go for tubeless tyres if your steel rims are not rusted or bent. Check with a goood tyre shop as to whether your rims are in good shape for tubeless tyres. I use Bridgestone Turanza ER-60, but Michelin XM1 is also good and even the Bridgestone S322 tubeless tyres are OK if you are not doing a lot of high-speed driving. For your stock rims, the stock size (155/70-13) is best.

You can search in the Tyres and alloy wheels section for more information.
Old 2nd May 2008, 13:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmob View Post
Why are you waiting till the tyres become bald? This would be given in the owners manual. Pls go through the same.
Old 2nd May 2008, 15:57   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Don't ever wait until your tyres go completely bald. Even if the tyres show some amount of tread left, the *grippy* rubber would have worn off anywhere between 30 - 50K kms. When I changed my Vtec tyres at 40 odd K, they still had a good amount of tread pattern left. But boy, did they make the car slide.........
Old 2nd May 2008, 16:01   #5
Senior - BHPian

i believe that it would be great if you can change the tyers every alt-net year that is how you will get the best resale for the old tyers also. it would be safe also!!!

Most Viewed