Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2008, 23:32   #16
Senior - BHPian

Narayan - What psi are you running the tyres at?
Old 4th May 2008, 23:10   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Suspension overhaul generally includes replacement of lower arms, tie rod ends, ball joints & shock absorbers. Generally unless car is opened you do not know what needs to be changed. Sometimes it could also include changing of drive shafts/axles and steering rack.Also always change all components for both sides and not any 1 side even if the other side is fairly good.

Hope all your queries have been answered.

Viper
Hey Viper,

Thanks a lot for your inputs, thats the info I was looking for. Infact, my regular mechanic suggested the same thing - I wasn't so sure so asked on the forum.

My car's done 85k, I am not sure if there REALLY is a problem with the suspension but I guess now would be a good time to get it done, considering I am going in for lowering springs anyways. Or would you suggest me to phase it i.e. lowering springs first and rest later?

Secondly, since the shocks are to be replaced as part of the overhaul, would you suggest me to go in for OE ones or recommend some other aftermarket brand to couple with the Eibachs?

Thirdly, this might be a stupid question, but nonetheless >>
Is there another car whose (stiffer) OE shocks can be used or are sizes of all shockers radically different from each other?
Old 5th May 2008, 11:43   #18
Senior - BHPian

You bumped my thread ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
bumped into this thread - might as well post my queries too here..
And I had bumped yours ..

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tml#post741963

Request the Mods to please Merge these Threads so that we can take this discussion forward ... Thanks
Old 5th May 2008, 11:52   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by manveet View Post
Hey Viper,

considering I am going in for lowering springs anyways. Or would you suggest me to phase it i.e. lowering springs first and rest later?

Secondly, since the shocks are to be replaced as part of the overhaul, would you suggest me to go in for OE ones or recommend some other aftermarket brand to couple with the Eibachs?

Thirdly, this might be a stupid question, but nonetheless >>
Is there another car whose (stiffer) OE shocks can be used or are sizes of all shockers radically different from each other?
Manveet,

Do the suspension first. I dont think you will get any aftermarket shocks for the OHC in India easily. No other cars shocks can be used.

Viper
Old 5th May 2008, 12:43   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Narayan - What psi are you running the tyres at?
ishan - i run it at 30psi ( too high ? )
Old 11th May 2008, 12:08   #21
Senior - BHPian

Yeah too high. Go down to 28 & see how it works out.
Old 27th May 2008, 15:47   #22
Senior - BHPian

Update:

I've recently placed order for Eibach Lowering Springs, should be here in a few days.

Even though I've already ordered, I am still not sure whether they will touch the fender or not. The Methods distributor at Bangalore was confident they won't and the dealer at Bombay was confident they would !! The curiosity is killing me .. Guess I can only be sure once they come and are fitted.

Does anybody want to volunteer an opinion on whether they would or would not touch the fender on speed-breakers?

FYI, details are as follows: Old Honda City (1999 model i.e. Type 1)

Stock Tire Size: 175/65/14 i.e. OD: 583mm
Upsize being used currently: 205/50/15 i.e. OD: 586mm
+.51% (3mm) increase in OD.
Eibach springs drop the height by 30mm.

Thanks.

p.s.
The Bombay dude was saying that the offset of the alloy would be a factor, as that determines how much the tire protrudes. Is that true? IMO, I have quite a neutral offset with the tire protruding only as much as it should, considering the upsize. Ollie (on this forum) is running the springs fine on his car .. and he is on 17"ers.

Last edited by manveet : 27th May 2008 at 15:48.
Old 27th May 2008, 16:43   #23
Senior - BHPian

Size of the rim doesnt matter. The offset of the wheel is the only deciding factor in your case.
Old 8th June 2008, 00:21   #24
Senior - BHPian

Update: Now Lowered

Lowered the car today. More reviews later - after I drive around for a bit ..
Attached Thumbnails
Lowering the OHC and other suspension queries-dsc02540-copy.jpg  

Lowering the OHC and other suspension queries-dsc02543-copy.jpg  

Old 8th June 2008, 21:52   #25
BHPian

Looking good! Could you post some pics of the shocks and springs?
Old 9th June 2008, 12:06   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sweet lookin'! The low slung stance is killer. Congrats and please share an initial review with us once you have completed 500 - 1000 kms.
Old 9th June 2008, 12:37   #27
BHPian

Nice one Manveet! The rear end does not appear to have "dropped" to the same level as the front end. I know it is because of the extra weight upfront but did your suspension kit specify different drop rates for front and rear?

I received my Tanabe DF210's and the accompanying literature specifies 2.1" drop for the front and 1.9" drop for the rear. Will get them fitted this coming weekend.
Old 9th June 2008, 13:17   #28
Senior - BHPian

I've also replaced all 4 existing shockers with new ones of the same type. Over the 9 yrs and 85k, they had gone a bit soft but were doing their job well enough had I not decided to go in for lowering springs.

A few threads on T-Bhp mentioned that Honda suspension lasts approx. 80k kms. But since there was no noise (and visible issue) from my suspension, I decided to leave that alone.

GTO, I'm happy with improvements in handling but this is only with front passenger and zero load. Will post a detailed review once I have more varied experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper123 View Post
Looking good! Could you post some pics of the shocks and springs?
Definitely. will post them in the evening once home.
Old 9th June 2008, 13:25   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev_hard View Post
Nice one Manveet! The rear end does not appear to have "dropped" to the same level as the front end. I know it is because of the extra weight upfront but did your suspension kit specify different drop rates for front and rear?
Naah, the literature didn't mention anything although the Methods people told me ~ 30mm both front and rear. Are you sure it's not just an illusion due to the uneven road surface.

I'll post a few more pictures by evening, that'll probably give you a better idea.
Old 9th June 2008, 19:08   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev_hard View Post
I received my Tanabe DF210's and the accompanying literature specifies 2.1" drop for the front and 1.9" drop for the rear. Will get them fitted this coming weekend.
Congratulations !! JUST had a look at your Garage .. 2.1" will make quite a difference !! ..

Here's another angle.
Attached Thumbnails
Lowering the OHC and other suspension queries-dsc02533-copy.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks