Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2008, 21:19   #16
BHPian

There is a workshop in Sec-2 Noida behind Nirulas, i am forgetting the name, which is also the dealer for K&N filters. They prepare cars for various rallies including raid de himlayas, been there and seen couple of cars including exotics being prepared. Or else we even have Autopsyche which can help you for this.

cheers.
Old 6th May 2008, 21:23   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Quite right, IF, and only IF, speed is of the essence.
So, it depends which category you want to enter in, in the Raid.
Then why the double shocks? I'd prefer an extra strap in each of my leaf-spring bundles!
The extra leaf will make the ride harder and break your back.. the double shocks helps in better landing of jumps if we do any inadvertantly.. Also the dive of the gypsy is more controlled with double shocks! But strictly speaking you may not need it!
Old 2nd July 2010, 17:54   #18
BHPian

12th Raid De Himalaya 2010 (Preparations of Gypsy for Adventure Category)

Dear Friends,

Why I am starting a new thread?

1. There are number of threads regarding preparation of gypsy for rally or for off-roading but my concern is only Raid De Himalaya 2010 (Adventure Category) and also I want only those modifications in my gypsy which will lead to Extreme next year.

2. As most of the participants have completed documentary formalities now, so the time left is only for modifications or preparations of vehicles.

3. Earlier restricted to a "stock" format, this year there will be a separate group for modified cars for Adventure category of the Raid. Allowed modifications shall include engines, suspension, exhausts, lights.

Before starting my questions some basic info regarding my category in Raid De Himalaya:

We have made entry in Stock Category (but as mentioned above want to modify gypsy for Extreme next year), me and my partner both are good drivers but very very bad navigators as we know nothing about navigation. We both are taking part as first timers. We have brought an old gypsy from Army Dump and are working on it. Till date what we have decided is:
a. MPFI Engine (fully overhauled)
b. Complete Mechanical Repairs
c. Rally Seats
d. Roll Cage (for safety only)
e. Half Cabin
f. New Battery, wiring, fuel tank, unit and gauge, odo meter
g. Tank Guard.
h. Basic Strengthening
i. Cut off Switch
j. Air intake and filter
k. Racing Exhaust
l. Extra fuel tank
m. Two spare wheels
n. Fire Extinguisher

First of all I want to know if all the above is necessary, secondly items still pending are:

1. Intercom in Helmets.
2. FIA approved 4 point seat belts.
3. GPS system for navigation.
4. What kind of tyres to use.

I don't have any idea regarding these points... What to do now?

Any other suggestions or ideas "A BIG WELCOME". Apart from preparations of Gypsy we need lot of tips specifically for Raid De Himalaya. So I request all the seniors

regards,
Jatinder Shukla
Old 2nd July 2010, 21:06   #19
Senior - BHPian

1.Focus on vehicle reliability since the Raid is a vehicle breaker with a very high attrition rate.
2.Focus on human reliability as well. Work on your fitness and endurance, mainly.
Old 2nd July 2010, 21:11   #20
BHPian

Dear Sir,

1. Vehicle reliability in the hands of mechanic
2. I have left drinking (till rally only)

But I need more from your experience...

regards
Jatinder
Old 2nd July 2010, 22:15   #21
BANNED

Hi Jatinder

All the best for the Rally.How much time do you have to get your gypsy ready.

I think you forgot the rally lights (light force or roolite ) and experts will comment on which is best.Arka,Allan where are you?

You must double weld the body joints so that they don't rattle or break off in tough situations
Old 3rd July 2010, 01:03   #22
BHPian

Hi Joshguy,

I have about 3 months to get gypsy ready.

Yes, I forgot about lights, but no idea what is light force or roolite.. (need expert advice)

This is a very valid point to double weld the body joints... thanks for mentioning...
Old 3rd July 2010, 12:22   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Passiontodrive consider the Raid as just another road journey and you will be better off.

Forget modifications or extra lights. Just concentrate on basic vehicle and reliability. I would recommend rally seats and four point belts. Not that they are needed but they add greatly to comfort and reduce fatigue in hilly and jumpy terrain.

Only additional thing I would recommend - sump and tank guard. In a gypsy you can do without these but does add a layer of comfort and safety.

Will revert with more later.
Old 3rd July 2010, 12:23   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
I think you forgot the rally lights (light force or roolite )....You must double weld the body joints so that they don't rattle or break off in tough situations

He is doing adventure category and I do not think you need to do these. A gypsy basic is strong enough.
Old 3rd July 2010, 14:35   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Passiontodrive consider the Raid as just another road journey and you will be better off.

Forget modifications or extra lights. Just concentrate on basic vehicle and reliability. I would recommend rally seats and four point belts. Not that they are needed but they add greatly to comfort and reduce fatigue in hilly and jumpy terrain.

Only additional thing I would recommend - sump and tank guard. In a gypsy you can do without these but does add a layer of comfort and safety.

Will revert with more later.
Sudev Sir,

First of all thank you very much for spending some time for me. I am waiting for further advice... I want to install a GPS based Navigation system...

For other senior rally drivers,

I request you all to comment, where are you? Please help I need all of your experience in just next few days.

regards,
Jatinder
Old 3rd July 2010, 19:26   #26
BHPian

Hi All,

can somebody provide road book, GPS maps etc. for the route of Raid De Himalaya
Old 4th July 2010, 09:10   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

@ptd: The exact route and tracks will vary from year to year. From what I know this year start is from Chandigarh while last year it was Simla. So?!!

Get any old road book from organisers or rallying friends and practise navigation from there.

As to GPS I would again recommend not to go for this.
AFAIK One: there is 25% additional penalty added for use of GPS
Two: you are not supposed to have the tracks (expulsion if you are found having them).

Being first Raid just go with plain vanilla clock, calculator and road book system (I did just that in the Mughal Rally).

Also GPS navigation system can only navigate on roads that are in the providers database. Most of the tracks will not be there.

Concentrate on basics. Good team, good calculator(s), good fitness, reliable vehicle and knowledge to tackle problems as (and if) they arise.

PS: sorry for abbreviating your handle to ptd
Old 5th July 2010, 13:05   #28
BHPian

Sudev Sir,

First of all no need to say any sorry kind of thing... because you are like teacher here and if a teacher even slapped me, it will help me for not doing mistakes again.

Secondly, Do you know someone having road book. Just for the purpose of understanding and reading it.

Third: Thank You very much regarding GPS info. Definitely we are going now without any GPS and will work on basics only.

Anything you think is useless in our vehicle or anything important we are missing? I have mentioned all the details earlier. Please check.
Old 5th July 2010, 14:30   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Make sure the extra fuel tank is of approved type. Normally only OE units with spill proof throat are accepted.

A map reading light for navigator would also be useful.

Check out if you can get the odo meter in front of navigator as he needs it more than you do. It is difficult to read odo while driving and under duty harsh/difficult light conditions.

Basic navigation around town and cities is more headache where there could be multiple ways of reaching same destinations. But once out of these the roads have few turn-off's or forks.

And please do not put me on such a pedestal. We all are students.
Old 5th July 2010, 14:31   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

I can give you road books of Desert Storm if you just want to practise but better to get books from some one who has done the raid in last year or two.

Most Viewed