Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2008, 04:01   #1

Sprucing up Gypsy King MPFI and making it more reliable (for the RAID etc)

I recently bought a Gypsy King 2003 HT model, and would use it for traveling in the hills. Also, I plan to participate in Raid De Himalaya Adventure Trial this year.
  1. Could someone suggest a good workshop in the Delhi region that has expertise on Gypsy? I would like to get it serviced and ready before I start taking it out on long drives.
  2. My focus would be to make the Gypsy more reliable (especially 4WD). Could someone give any specific pointers?
  3. Raid Adventure Trial does not permit any major modifications. I would probably go in for an extra spare wheel bracket and an auxiliary fuel tank.
    • The regulations state that “Air filtration units are free owing to the excessive dust”. I am reading it as that I can use a Cold Air Intake or a stock replacement performance filter. I saw GTO’s input that go in for a stock replacement one for offroading. Any other inputs?
    • “It is permitted to modify the exhaust provided that the catalytic converter is not removed and the exit point of the pipe, whose diameter must remain the same as the original, is retained as per the original mounting point”. Should/can I go in for a FFE in this Gypsy?
  4. Any advantages of going in for a half-cabin instead of a soft top?
  5. Should I go in for gas charged dampers? (I drive it in city too)
Apologies, if the post is a bit too long and naive at places. Looking forward to hear from the experts.

Thanks.
Old 4th May 2008, 04:07   #2
Team-BHP Support

Hi,

Please see this thread as well : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor-...ypsy-raid.html

cya
R
Old 4th May 2008, 04:21   #3

Thanks, Rehaan. That particular video is for a fully prepared rally Gypsy used in Xtreme version of the Raid. The adventure trial (or the reliability version) where newbies like me can go to, doesn't allow any major modifications to the stock car, so am unable to make much use of it this time around.

p.s. Coincidently, i have the same video and its description up on my site: Description of a Gypsy prepared for rally | Assorted.
Old 4th May 2008, 08:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Aditya, here's my 2 cents:

1) Don't know.
2) Nothing needs to be done. It is a lever shift and thus very reliable. Leave it alone.
3) Keep the stock air filter but get a snorkel fitted. Will dramatically reduce dust intake.
I do not believe a free-flow will give you much advantage if the tailpipe diameter has to be kept stock and the catcon has to be retained.
4) A half cabin would be useful as you will be able to use cabin heating effectively in the very cold areas. Heating is coolant based and does not rob engine power. A half cabin will also allow better communication between you and the navigator (very important!).
5) 'Reliable' shocks is the operative word. Whether hydraulic or gas is not so important as the ruggedness.
Old 4th May 2008, 09:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

plates

You could put on some skid plates. These are plates of heavy gage metal you put under your vehicle to protect vulnerable areas like the oil pan, transfer case, etc from getting damaged by rocks and high angle debris. You can get pretty exotic or go simple. Simple would be to have someone weld a few steel bars at places that give protection without hampering access to parts. This is my option. Or, look at posts by Samurai on his aluminum plates on his Grand Vitara. This is also a great application.

Tie everything down and/or have a secure place for it. Dust gets into everything in an amazing way. It will destroy your camera lens, your glasses, just about anything and very quickly, too. Find yourself some dust proof containers. I mean really dust proof.
Old 4th May 2008, 16:16   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.b View Post
I recently bought a Gypsy King 2003 HT model, and would use it for traveling in the hills. Also, I plan to participate in Raid De Himalaya Adventure Trial this year.
  1. Could someone suggest a good workshop in the Delhi region that has expertise on Gypsy? I would like to get it serviced and ready before I start taking it out on long drives.
  2. My focus would be to make the Gypsy more reliable (especially 4WD). Could someone give any specific pointers?
  3. Raid Adventure Trial does not permit any major modifications. I would probably go in for an extra spare wheel bracket and an auxiliary fuel tank.
    • The regulations state that “Air filtration units are free owing to the excessive dust”. I am reading it as that I can use a Cold Air Intake or a stock replacement performance filter. I saw GTO’s input that go in for a stock replacement one for offroading. Any other inputs?
    • “It is permitted to modify the exhaust provided that the catalytic converter is not removed and the exit point of the pipe, whose diameter must remain the same as the original, is retained as per the original mounting point”. Should/can I go in for a FFE in this Gypsy?
  4. Any advantages of going in for a half-cabin instead of a soft top?
  5. Should I go in for gas charged dampers? (I drive it in city too)
Apologies, if the post is a bit too long and naive at places. Looking forward to hear from the experts.

Thanks.
Hey , Good to see that you are attempting the raid this year . But as you doing the Reliability category you might not need as much preparation as you think you might . Im gonna try and answer your questions to the best of my knowledge ..

1. Contact Dharampal near Ashram . They prepare quiet a few gypsies and are pretty good . Or else you can also contact Autopsyche but you will have to check if he has time on his hands to do your gypsy .

2. There are lots of things which are minor but would need attention .. Best thing is to go to one of the two above and they will help you out .

3. FFE is not imp for you .. you cud always change it if you like the sound of the exhaust but else keep it stock . As for the filter -- a stock regular filter would suffice for you .

4. In your case a full hard top would be better as it allows you to carry more stuff . Also I think they allow 3 people per car in the Reliability category so a half cabin will restrict you guys to only 2 people . Also if you do break down in the middle of nowhere and have to wait for hours for someone to come get you -- the half cabin cud be a problem as you wont be able to recline your seats back and sitting straight can get frustrating . Unless you get the cabin designed in such a manner that this problem is solved .

5. the Raid is a tough event ... though maybe not as tough for your category but go with what your mechanic says . They know the route better and will suggest the right stuff .

Have fun at the Raid ...

Cheers
Old 4th May 2008, 20:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.b View Post
  1. My focus would be to make the Gypsy more reliable (especially 4WD). Could someone give any specific pointers?
  2. Raid Adventure Trial does not permit any major modifications. I would probably go in for an extra spare wheel bracket and an auxiliary fuel tank.
  3. Any advantages of going in for a half-cabin instead of a soft top?
  4. Should I go in for gas charged dampers? (I drive it in city too)
Thanks.
Hi, congrats on your new Buy..
1. you do not require 4wd for the raid..using 4wd, you may loose on steering control at high speeds due to differential action..2wd is more fun and controllable..IMO.
2. the auxiullary tank is very important as the gypsy kills in the FE department.
3. Its warmer inside the half cabin than a soft top I'd guess
4. Go for double shocks..it will help you gypsy take a jump better.

All the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Aditya, here's my 2 cents:

1) Don't know.
2) Nothing needs to be done. It is a lever shift and thus very reliable. Leave it alone.
3) Keep the stock air filter but get a snorkel fitted. Will dramatically reduce dust intake.
I do not believe a free-flow will give you much advantage if the tailpipe diameter has to be kept stock and the catcon has to be retained.
4) A half cabin would be useful as you will be able to use cabin heating effectively in the very cold areas. Heating is coolant based and does not rob engine power. A half cabin will also allow better communication between you and the navigator (very important!).
5) 'Reliable' shocks is the operative word. Whether hydraulic or gas is not so important as the ruggedness.
You dont need a snorkel for the Raid..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
You could put on some skid plates. These are plates of heavy gage metal you put under your vehicle to protect vulnerable areas like the oil pan, transfer case, etc from getting damaged by rocks and high angle debris. You can get pretty exotic or go simple. Simple would be to have someone weld a few steel bars at places that give protection without hampering access to parts. This is my option. Or, look at posts by Samurai on his aluminum plates on his Grand Vitara. This is also a great application.

Tie everything down and/or have a secure place for it. Dust gets into everything in an amazing way. It will destroy your camera lens, your glasses, just about anything and very quickly, too. Find yourself some dust proof containers. I mean really dust proof.
Dirtydan..the gypsy is a different kettle of fish compared to the GV..also..every bit of weight added will affect you..so one has to be careful before doing mods just for the sake of it.. The Raid is an extremely competetive sport and RELIABILITY is the key here. The Gypsy in Stock form MPFi is pretty reliable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
Hey , Good to see that you are attempting the raid this year . But as you doing the Reliability category you might not need as much preparation as you think you might . Im gonna try and answer your questions to the best of my knowledge ..

1. Contact Dharampal near Ashram . They prepare quiet a few gypsies and are pretty good . Or else you can also contact Autopsyche but you will have to check if he has time on his hands to do your gypsy .

2. There are lots of things which are minor but would need attention .. Best thing is to go to one of the two above and they will help you out .

3. FFE is not imp for you .. you cud always change it if you like the sound of the exhaust but else keep it stock . As for the filter -- a stock regular filter would suffice for you .

4. In your case a full hard top would be better as it allows you to carry more stuff . Also I think they allow 3 people per car in the Reliability category so a half cabin will restrict you guys to only 2 people . Also if you do break down in the middle of nowhere and have to wait for hours for someone to come get you -- the half cabin cud be a problem as you wont be able to recline your seats back and sitting straight can get frustrating . Unless you get the cabin designed in such a manner that this problem is solved .

5. the Raid is a tough event ... though maybe not as tough for your category but go with what your mechanic says . They know the route better and will suggest the right stuff .

Have fun at the Raid ...

Cheers

Hey, a slight Change to you #4..The gypsy HT rolls more than the ST..but is more comfortable.. I personally found the accelaration to be better when I'd removed my HT. Adding weight in the gypsy does not help!

Last edited by headers : 4th May 2008 at 20:14.
Old 5th May 2008, 01:06   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Hey, a slight Change to you #4..The gypsy HT rolls more than the ST..but is more comfortable.. I personally found the accelaration to be better when I'd removed my HT. Adding weight in the gypsy does not help!
I agree with you about the roll bit but that would refer to a gypsy with original suspension set up ... And I don't think a first timer is gonna push that hard in the Reliability category so suggested a full hard top with a beefed up suspension .

The weight does not help .. agreed !! But then again ... first time -- reliability category .. it won't really matter .
Old 5th May 2008, 08:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You dont need a snorkel for the Raid..
Is that because there's no dust on that route??
Old 5th May 2008, 09:20   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Is that because there's no dust on that route??
Snorkel comes in handy when there is water .. not dust !!
Old 6th May 2008, 12:17   #11

Thank you everyone for sharing your inputs. I really appreciate the help and guidance given by you all.
Old 6th May 2008, 12:50   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
Snorkel comes in handy when there is water .. not dust !!
Alas, khaadu, you must check up beyond the obvious.
A snorkel dramatically reduces the amount of dust an airfilter picks up from it's native/stock suction point.
Old 6th May 2008, 21:11   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Alas, khaadu, you must check up beyond the obvious.
A snorkel dramatically reduces the amount of dust an airfilter picks up from it's native/stock suction point.
But you dont need a snorkel for the raid..the more weight we add, the poorer we perform..and the raid does not have deep water crossings to use a snorkel..I'd assume.

It may reduce the dust intake, but any good filter will last the raid distance!
Old 6th May 2008, 21:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But you dont need a snorkel for the raid..the more weight we add, the poorer we perform..
Quite right, IF, and only IF, speed is of the essence.
So, it depends which category you want to enter in, in the Raid.
Then why the double shocks? I'd prefer an extra strap in each of my leaf-spring bundles!
Old 6th May 2008, 21:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

I just want to add that incase you have a future plan of upgrading to the the competitive extreme category then dont go for the full cabin, half cabin will be required in the extreme category later on.

You dont need to add a lot of stuff for the adventure trial, basic strengthening and mechanical checks on the stock setup is good enough for the entire route.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks