Team-BHP - Is Cold Air Intake actually worth the money?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Is Cold Air Intake actually worth the money? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/39238-cold-air-intake-actually-worth-money.html)

Hi!,

I've been planning to put an cold air intake system for my Accent. On reading through various threads one thing which came to my mind is that is there any actual difference in terms of power delivery or interms of fuel efficiency or is it just the sound and some bit of smoothness. I generally drive in range of 1000-2300 RPM and it's also said that the power difference or the efficiency of CAI comes in at higher RPM and at lower RPM actually it makes the car more sluggish.

I recently got my car Tri-Phase and it's doing well . I was just thinking if adding CAI makes sense for my style of driving. Experts pls help me out.

Thanks
Saurabh

Quote:

or is it just the sound
A CAI makes hardly any noticeable difference, most of which is the sound. You can feel the throttle response getting better in some cars, but thats pretty much it.

another difference high flow intakes make is slightly increase fuel efficiency. but having the Cold of CAI is only about slightly better combustion. if air is cold, it carries more oxygen that helps in better combustion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saurabhkum (Post 819072)
Hi!,

I've been planning to put an cold air intake system for my Accent. On reading through various threads one thing which came to my mind is that is there any actual difference in terms of power delivery or interms of fuel efficiency or is it just the sound and some bit of smoothness. I generally drive in range of 1000-2300 RPM and it's also said that the power difference or the efficiency of CAI comes in at higher RPM and at lower RPM actually it makes the car more sluggish.

I recently got my car Tri-Phase and it's doing well . I was just thinking if adding CAI makes sense for my style of driving. Experts pls help me out.

Thanks
Saurabh

Conical filter will not make a difference as it would take in hot air from the engine bay.The conical filter will have the intake roar but there is a lag in the initial rpm

Make sure you get Green wind/storm filter or the K&N Apollo filter with the CAI pipe.

The CAI makes a big difference to my car, but it is a Pete'd turbodiesel. Not sure what a CAI will do for you. I remember hydrashok's palio being fitted with a CAI- he had reported good results with it.

A K&N Typhoon Kit on my civic definitely improved things, The Low end has gone up and the car is more rev-friendly. The Car Revs upto the Rev-Limiter in Every gear without any problems. Its a Joy to drive the car now.

Instead of an Expensive CAI you could actually route yout stock intake pipe opening to behind the bumper.and you'll see there will be a difference in the engine responce.

It'll be because the engine is getting colder air.
If you check your stock air intake pipe, it sits inside the engine bay.maybe behind the battery or something but its sucking hot air from the engine bay.now behind the bumper it'll get cooler air.preferably behind the fog lights.

I have done somehting similar to my civic.involves no cutting,just removal of some older pipes and new route.And the performance is noticable.its not like amazing improvement.but the seat of pants feel at lower rpm is better.
In 3rd gear its pulling cleaner than before from lower rpm.

and you can even make your own CAI.you don't need to spend huge amounts of money on expensive CAI systems.
Just get a 40$ UNI air filter.some plumbing from your local truck parts dealer and clamp on the filter on the end.
but it won't look bling.
LOL.

But if you want bling! then buy a branded CAI.

just one word, " Yes " it is but only if installed in a proper way.

honestly after using the green storm cai and the stock replacement in my innova i havent felt a difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by navpreet318 (Post 1125118)
Instead of an Expensive CAI you could actually route yout stock intake pipe opening to behind the bumper.and you'll see there will be a difference in the engine responce.

It'll be because the engine is getting colder air.
If you check your stock air intake pipe, it sits inside the engine bay.maybe behind the battery or something but its sucking hot air from the engine bay.now behind the bumper it'll get cooler air.preferably behind the fog lights.

I have done somehting similar to my civic.involves no cutting,just removal of some older pipes and new route.And the performance is noticable.its not like amazing improvement.but the seat of pants feel at lower rpm is better.
In 3rd gear its pulling cleaner than before from lower rpm.

and you can even make your own CAI.you don't need to spend huge amounts of money on expensive CAI systems.
Just get a 40$ UNI air filter.some plumbing from your local truck parts dealer and clamp on the filter on the end.
but it won't look bling.
LOL.

But if you want bling! then buy a branded CAI.

You did all this without sharing things with us, Very bad navpreet, Post some pics of the new location. Since My CAI routes The air from the stock Location of the civic, even i can try this out. It may improve the performance of the CAI.

Arre sorry yaar.hehe.

Yaar to post the pics i'll have to take off the front bumper.I'll explain it to you or what we'll do it is that when i come over to delhi we'll do it ourselves.It won't take more than one hour from start to end.I'll just need a electric jigsaw which should be available at gyro to borrow for an hour.

Since you have the SRI installed you'll have even more power gains.

the new placement is behind the left side fog lamp.air comes in from the small inlet next to the fog lamp.

I'm planning to plonk in a UNI filter there.I've heard amazing reviews about the UNI filters from all the users who have installed them.and the best part is that its just a 20-40 $ filter depending on the size we pick.

Where is the current place ment of the pipe in a stock car??

I had got a K and N CAI installed in my accord.It adds a nice roaring sound to the car and gives a slight improvement at higher RPMs.But due to the sound of the air filter you start accelerating much harder which at the end reduces ure FE but if you can control that, its worth it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by navpreet318 (Post 1125260)
Arre sorry yaar.hehe.

Yaar to post the pics i'll have to take off the front bumper.I'll explain it to you or what we'll do it is that when i come over to delhi we'll do it ourselves.It won't take more than one hour from start to end.I'll just need a electric jigsaw which should be available at gyro to borrow for an hour.

Since you have the SRI installed you'll have even more power gains.

the new placement is behind the left side fog lamp.air comes in from the small inlet next to the fog lamp.

I'm planning to plonk in a UNI filter there.I've heard amazing reviews about the UNI filters from all the users who have installed them.and the best part is that its just a 20-40 $ filter depending on the size we pick.

i dont think thats a great place for a pipe. its too low. forget about putting a filter there. water could get sucked it.

Manan: Its behind the battery.right next to the ECU.its a flared opening.

Akshay:Yes its a low position for a pipe.Its not a good position for a filter.thats why i'm still working on the filter positioning part.
But if its just a pipe,water cannot get sucked in.its an elliptical opening pipe.and the vaccum pressure isn't that much that water gets sucked in.
But a filter there is another case.if the filter gets wet, we'll have major problems.

We just have to be careful of standing water,which is very low here in dehradun.we have major slopes all around.