Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2008, 16:32   #1
BHPian

My restoration project 118 NE

Hi All,

Overhaulin ( a show n discovery travel and living) inspired me to start this project. I have a premier 118 ne which was bought in 1992 ( with Nissan petrol ) engine. This car has got lot of memories of my child hood.

There was a big debate in my family whether we should go for premier or any other brand.
In my opinion, this is a very good car for a family. Its big wheel base gives you power to tackle the Indian roads.

The coil spring suspension gives you additional comfort. And the handling is very easy.
The cost of repair is not that high. There in one thing which can be a –ve point i.e. the rusting of running board? Except that everything is absolutely fine.

The gear shift is amazing. This car is not in use now. The engine is in very good shape. One cannot find the engine is on or off from the cabin.
Please advise me whether I should restore this or not. I have few plans
1. I will paint in dark red (maroon) as the ford mustang in Thumps up AD.
2. There will be alloy wheels.
3. The interiors will be beige.
4. I want to add a fuel injector if possible ( gurus please advise)
5. Or I can put a decent reconditioned diesel engine to use this car for daily use.

I know the sale of this car will not fetch mush value. it may be as good as salving a piece of metal.

I am sure there are some 118 NE lovers. They may be interested in starting similar type of projects.

Cheers
Srinivas

Last edited by Aditya : 12th May 2008 at 17:28. Reason: Tags removed.
Old 12th May 2008, 16:47   #2
BHPian

hey dude,pls post pics once you start the project.
Old 12th May 2008, 17:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have few plans
1. I will paint in dark red (maroon) as the ford mustang in Thumps up AD.
The car in the Thums up ad is an orange opel manta! not a maroon ford mustang!

Quote:
2. There will be alloy wheels.
Will be good, but do find out if the NE118 also has 98PCD wheels like the other fits, if so, then the selection will be limited!

Quote:
3. The interiors will be beige.
Again, will be good.

Quote:
4. I want to add a fuel injector if possible ( gurus please advise)
Why would u want to do that. Technically it may be possible, but its not at all practical. The ECU, the wiring etc will be a HUGE problem! Waste of time&money

Quote:
5. Or I can put a decent reconditioned diesel engine to use this car for daily use.
The only good thing about an NE118 is the engine&gearbox, ps don;t go the diesel way.

Quote:
I know the sale of this car will not fetch mush value. it may be as good as salving a piece of metal.
Go ahead with the project only if u are sentimentally attached to the car. if u think with your head, its not worth the money, but when u think with your heart, its an altogether different issue!
Old 12th May 2008, 17:33   #4
BHPian

The 118NE is as good a candidate as any if you ask me. I feel the make of the car doesn't matter; what is important is the sentimental attachment you have for it. Just be sure you have access to the time, money, and expertise necessary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svpatra View Post
I have a premier 118 ne which was bought in 1192
Hmm, 23 years before the Magna Carta was signed. Now that makes it one vintage classic.
Old 12th May 2008, 17:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There in one thing which can be a –ve point i.e. the rusting of running board? Except that everything is absolutely fine.
And there is a very simple cure for this. The running board is a hollow container and has a rubber stopper on the inside. Remove stopper, pour used engine oil, put stopper back.

PS: Please do not replace the original carb engine. Without the NE (Nissan Engine) the 118 was not much of a car.

Last edited by Steeroid : 12th May 2008 at 17:46.
Old 12th May 2008, 17:37   #6
Team-BHP Support

If you are really attached to this car, go ahead with the project. Try to keep it as stock as possible. Parts for the 118NE will not be too easy to source. Stick to the carburetted petrol engine and gearbox. It's the best thing about the car.
Again if you have gotten used to modern machinery, you might find it difficult to a design from the 60s. Keep that in mind. Even after you do up your car, the resale value will be zilch.
Old 12th May 2008, 17:55   #7
Senior - BHPian

I had seen a programe in discovery channel about 4-6months back,where they soup up a 118NE in a Nissan Workshop,Please youtube around i am sure you will get the video.
Old 21st May 2008, 15:37   #8

Hey

i own a 118 ne and my advice is conditoned the car from a good mechanic and use it.

Sajeev

Last edited by Technocrat : 21st May 2008 at 15:55. Reason: Pleas dont post with caps on
Old 25th June 2008, 16:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hey dear please upload the pic of your car.
Old 3rd November 2008, 18:19   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
I had seen a programe in discovery channel about 4-6months back,where they soup up a 118NE in a Nissan Workshop,Please Youtube around i am sure you will get the video.
Did it look like this? Personally I find this awesome.
My restoration project 118 NE-car137g.jpg
Old 3rd November 2008, 18:22   #11
BHPian

Hi Guys ,

Sorry to just hack ur thread . Even i am looking for a carburettor for my 118NE . Can somebody tell me where can i find one .

would be thankful for all the help.
Old 3rd November 2008, 23:24   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek_rait View Post
Hi Guys ,

Sorry to just hack ur thread . Even i am looking for a carburettor for my 118NE . Can somebody tell me where can i find one .

would be thankful for all the help.
Send a PM to DHABHAR.BEHRAM or Cyrus43. They'll surely help you.
Old 15th November 2008, 17:45   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post
Send a PM to DHABHAR.BEHRAM or Cyrus43. They'll surely help you.
I have '89 118NE. Recently got a NEW Hitachi DCG 306 installed and its running smooth. Premier used to offer the Hitachi initally till 1991-92. Later model had a Mikuni. I also installed the mikuni but it is nowhere near the Hitachi.
I got a new one from one of the auto stores here in Ahmedabad. He had two pieces brought from the original Premier dealer who closed shop year ago.The carb had no buyers as the car is nearly outmoded.
If anybody wants one then i can check with the shop if he still has one left with him-
Believe me, the Hitachi rocks..My car can almost outrun a zen.
Old 15th November 2008, 23:17   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
I have '89 118NE. Recently got a NEW Hitachi DCG 306 installed and its running smooth. Premier used to offer the Hitachi initally till 1991-92. Later model had a Mikuni. I also installed the mikuni but it is nowhere near the Hitachi.
I got a new one from one of the auto stores here in Ahmedabad. He had two pieces brought from the original Premier dealer who closed shop year ago.The carb had no buyers as the car is nearly outmoded.
If anybody wants one then i can check with the shop if he still has one left with him-
Believe me, the Hitachi rocks..My car can almost outrun a zen.
WHOAAA!!! You found a brand new HITACHI!! Thats like a bloddy Diamond in the Sahara Desert!! You lucky bugger...And yes, Hitachi is better than the Mikuni.

@Abhishek
Any Maruti Downdraft Mikuni directly fits onto the NE manifold. Try a Zen or Esteem Carb.

Last edited by Cyrus43 : 15th November 2008 at 23:19.
Old 16th November 2008, 00:16   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Overhaulin ( a show n discovery travel and living) inspired me to start this project. I have a premier 118 ne which was bought in 1992 ( with Nissan petrol ) engine. This car has got lot of memories of my child hood.

There was a big debate in my family whether we should go for premier or any other brand.
In my opinion, this is a very good car for a family. Its big wheel base gives you power to tackle the Indian roads.

The coil spring suspension gives you additional comfort. And the handling is very easy.
The cost of repair is not that high. There in one thing which can be a –ve point i.e. the rusting of running board? Except that everything is absolutely fine.

The gear shift is amazing. This car is not in use now. The engine is in very good shape. One cannot find the engine is on or off from the cabin.
Please advise me whether I should restore this or not. I have few plans
1. I will paint in dark red (maroon) as the ford mustang in Thumps up AD. opel manta. spot on JAY D!
2. There will be alloy wheels. There will be justice! lol!
3. The interiors will be beige. good idea, considering its like a living room with sofa kinda seats!
4. I want to add a fuel injector if possible ( gurus please advise) please! NO! try a dual carb setup. dual mikuni or dual webers, if you can source them and get it tuned by someone who knows his way around ne's
5. Or I can put a decent reconditioned diesel engine to use this car for daily use. 137D engines from used padminis are direct fits, as the ne's came with them eventually.. not recommended though!

I am sure there are some 118 NE lovers. They may be interested in starting similar type of projects.

Cheers
Srinivas

overall! best of luck. would really love seeing this beauty come alive.

Most Viewed