Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2011, 14:12   #31
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Can we turbo charge a Palio 1.2?

For all those wanting to turbo-charge their 1.2s.....better you exchange it for a used 1.6 instead. The net product will work out cheaper, the 1.6 will be as fast (if not faster than a turbo-charged 1.2) and importantly, it'll be infinitely more reliable / hassle-free.

The resale value of an ol' 1.2 Palio would be about a lakh rupees. Would you spend another lakh in TC'ing it?
Old 5th February 2011, 14:48   #32
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Nice to bump into this thread.

I'd like to KNOW too Since I have the similar (or same) 1.2L engine in my Punto.

Beside TC, I see everyone talking about the comparatively poorer gear ratios in the Fiat 1.2's. Can this not be fixed? I mean what is involved in optimizing the gear ratios and how difficult is it? Is it a limitation due to tech know-how or to owner spending Vitamin-M (i mean is it really expensive to get the ratios set RIGHT) ?
If you really want to turbo charge your Punto, get a rear ended Linea and take out the wirig loom, the body computers, the ECU, gear box, drive sahfts, engine, suspension and brakes.

Turbo chargig the 1.2 won't get you very far. The conrods and the crank are pretty weak. And the 1.2 box is not very strog either.

Changing the earbox ratio can be done within reason with changing the diff. But this is expensive.
Old 7th February 2011, 11:50   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
For all those wanting to turbo-charge their 1.2s.....better you exchange it for a used 1.6 instead. The net product will work out cheaper, the 1.6 will be as fast (if not faster than a turbo-charged 1.2) and importantly, it'll be infinitely more reliable / hassle-free.

The resale value of an ol' 1.2 Palio would be about a lakh rupees. Would you spend another lakh in TC'ing it?
Absolutely. What you say is the most practical and sensible option.

My question however, was a bit hypothetical. Assuming money is no object, is it possible to TC a 1.2.
Old 7th February 2011, 22:18   #34
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
Assuming money is no object, is it possible to TC a 1.2.
If money is no object, you could even get a jet engine strapped to the back .

Of course, you can turbo-charge a 1.2. But my point was, a lateral upgrade to a used 1.6L will be cheaper, faster and more reliable (the last three are a rare combination in the tuning world).
Old 7th February 2011, 23:21   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If money is no object, you could even get a jet engine strapped to the back .

Of course, you can turbo-charge a 1.2. But my point was, a lateral upgrade to a used 1.6L will be cheaper, faster and more reliable (the last three are a rare combination in the tuning world).
Thats there.

But on a serious note, I get your point. It is a lot easier to just buy a 1.6 instead.
Old 8th February 2011, 00:04   #36
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
Thats there.

But on a serious note, I get your point. It is a lot easier to just buy a 1.6 instead.
Although I like the 1.6 engine in the Palio, I prefer tuning the FIRE engine in a Palio because it is a lot lighter. The Palio is a very light car for todays standard. But this has got a downside. When the car gets front heavy it needs balancing, which is rather costly.

The 1.1 engine (same as Palio) we got at 7000rpm to 98bhp, The cam was good for higher revs, but we were restricted due to making it a hill climb car running in close to standard.

The Fiat group a one version of the 1.1, which was bored out to 1146cc was giving out 157bhp (naturally aspirated in the Seicento kit car)) with good reliability.

The 1.2 can be brought to about 120 with reasonable effort. Turbo charging is not the most difficult with what Fiat supplies.

Novitech spent a lot of time on the 1.2 ebgine to turbo charge it, but used the 16v head. The result was 197bhp. It was very expensive. And it neecded re-working the chassis (Seicento)

Getting power out of the Palio 1.6 is quite easy, but it is a lot more power needed than in the lighter version to catch up with the smaller engined Palios. It is not only straight line to consider, but also the lower weight and the better balance hekp track times.

The 1.6 can be taken to about 240 bhp naturally aspirated, but this is extremely expensive.

Turbo charging the 1.6 would cost even more due to the engine bay constraints.

If you want to get the package right both engines are an expensive option.
Old 8th February 2011, 22:51   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
Although I like the 1.6 engine in the Palio, I prefer tuning the FIRE engine in a Palio because it is a lot lighter. The Palio is a very light car for todays standard. But this has got a downside. When the car gets front heavy it needs balancing, which is rather costly.

Getting power out of the Palio 1.6 is quite easy, but it is a lot more power needed than in the lighter version to catch up with the smaller engined Palios. It is not only straight line to consider, but also the lower weight and the better balance hekp track times.

The 1.6 can be taken to about 240 bhp naturally aspirated, but this is extremely expensive.

Turbo charging the 1.6 would cost even more due to the engine bay constraints.

If you want to get the package right both engines are an expensive option.
Hi CPH,

Was wondering, what is a safe boost level that a stock 1.6 engine can take as per your experience? Note that i mean stock internals here.

also, when you say that it is expensive due to engine bay constraints, how is pouring in more money going to solve that problem anyways?
please clarify if possible as i am interested in turbo-ing my 1.6 and want to understand the pros and cons from someone who might have actually worked on these engines.

turbo124.com and fiatforum.com have a lot of information but the sheer variety of the engines by FIAT in the same category/ size gets my head spinning.

Regards,
Kiran.

Most Viewed