Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2008, 10:52   #1
BHPian

Does Spark needs Tinted Glasses over stock ones?

Hi,
I purchased a Chevy Spark base model few days days. The manufacturer, General Motors Claims that the vehicle has tinted glasses installed by default as part of standard equipment.
Source: chevyspark.in

The glasses In it are made by SAINT-GOBAIN SEKURIT India Ltd.
Just going by looks, there isn't much of difference in the normal glasses in other cars and so called "Tinted" glasses. don't whats underneath & what technolgy is used to manufacture them.

Please Tell me what exactly these "tinted" glasses are and how effective they prove in practical use. and opnion of fellow spark users is expected.

Last edited by gary4gar : 9th May 2008 at 10:56.
Old 9th May 2008, 11:02   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

OE tint levels are too low to offer any real benefits in terms of heat control and privacy so for all practical purposes you can consider your OE glasses as 'clear' (not tinted).
Old 9th May 2008, 11:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

I agree with androdev as the tint levels are too low and as most others if you need to keep the heat away to an extent its better to get it tinted.
Old 9th May 2008, 11:42   #4
BHPian

To my knowledge the OE tinted glasses only need to satisfy the visibility constraints and not heat cut off or UV reduction.

I feel that irrespective of which segment the car is, OE tinted glasses do not offer good heat rejection & UV cut off.

Hence i recommend that you look at filming your glasses based on your requirements, which can be the following

1. Heat rejection
2. Heat cut off
3. Visibility
Old 9th May 2008, 14:24   #5
girishbhat

Quote:
Tell me what exactly these "tinted" glasses are and how effective they prove in practical use.
Tint glass is standard for all the cars with inbuilt AC. It will help to keep the cabin cool by rejecting the direct sun rays. There is some restriction for the tint level of the glass. The factory fitted glass are well bellow the allowed tint level. So it is better to use the sunfilm over the stock glass.

Old 9th May 2008, 14:51   #6
BHPian

There is one Problem with Sun film, it does not be dark atleast should not look so.

As RTO here is on the roll after a boy was kidnapped from near my house, the cops catch anyone with Dark glasses.

They do not have any eqqupment to measure the transperancy of the glass.
:(

is there any product which does not look dark but still is a good insulator towards Heat.
These days its really hot here, temp going 43C avg. Glad i didn't put Leather Seat cover in my car

Last edited by gary4gar : 9th May 2008 at 14:53.
Old 9th May 2008, 14:59   #7
BHPian

i think there is one sun film from 3m which is not dark but still manages to keep the cabin cool..
Maybe u can have a go at it.
But it being 3M, i suppose it will be slightly pricey...
Old 9th May 2008, 15:59   #8
BHPian

How much for it, Sir?
also, availability in jaipur?
Old 9th May 2008, 15:59   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary4gar View Post

is there any product which does not look dark but still is a good insulator to wards Heat.
These days its really hot here, temp going 43C avg. Glad i didn't put Leather Seat cover in my car
I have got Lumar AIR 75 on my front/rear glass and window glasses. It has good heat rejection numbers and is transparent which means that no problems with cops. Also i got the filming done from an authorised dealer he gave me a certificate from RTA which states what films of Lumar are certified for motor vehicles.

Infact i have got the car filmed even before i got it registered. There were no problems with the RTA as the glasses looked transparent enough.
Old 9th May 2008, 16:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

According to RTO, a glass with transparency of 50% is ok.
OE tint glass will be around 80% transparent.

Usually people think that darker the glass/film is - more the heat rejected. This is true to some extent but not completely.

Sun film brands like 3M and V-kool have special compounds (nano components) in the film which reject solar energy. The film will be 80% transparent but the compound inside the film will be working hard to reject heat and UV rays.
Old 10th May 2008, 20:45   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary4gar View Post
How much for it, Sir?
also, availability in jaipur?
Please answer my question?

@djay99
AFAIK, 70% transparency is required.
Can you quote your source Please

Can you Please much benefit you get over the stock ones?

Last edited by gary4gar : 10th May 2008 at 20:50.
Old 10th May 2008, 20:59   #12
Team-BHP Support

gary - 70% for front a rear and 50% for the sides. though people normally keep 50% on the rear too since it gets expensive putting clear film.
Old 10th May 2008, 21:30   #13
Team-BHP Support

why do i need sun glasses? well same same

On a serious note, for our indian sun, one needs sun film even if its the best of mercs, to take the load of the ac. Look for best UV blockage vs minimal darkness, which ever brand offers this works best.

Yes having unusually dark tints help the kewl looks, but are a pain at night esp during rains, i have tried all sorts of darkness levels and trust me it really doesnt help having a very dark tint. Medium or light tints are good enough and a sun shade band always helps, especially of you do long highway jaunts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks