Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2008, 19:39   #1
Senior - BHPian

Engine Swap for a 9 yr old 1,60,000 Run Fiat Sienna 1.7TD

Hello Fellow Bhpians,

After having run my car for around 160000 KMs , the time has come for me to either ditch the car (which I won't)or over haul the engine (very low success of making it future trouble free) or plonk in a brand new 1.3 JTD . Whats your opinion on it ? I have decided for this move coz apart from the engine the car is really a battle tank . I feel even my 1.5 yr old Cedia is not built as well as my 9 year of Italian Cavallo . So coming back to the topic , can any of you south indians suggest me a place I can do the job ? This car is very very valuble to me , so I dont want it to make it a guinea pig Lol !

Is there anyother engine I can plonk in without much modification ?

PS : I have started thinking of this project coz if I sell this car at the moment I may not get enough money for getting a brand new set of alloys and tyre for my new car .

So guys help me out !
Old 9th May 2008, 20:33   #2
Team-BHP Support

Do the math

Ditch car = Rs 50000
Overhaul = - Rs 50000, you might get Rs75000 to Rs 1 lakh
1.3 JTD engine - Rs 2 Lakh - engine, ECU, wirking harness, hair dye as integrating it all will be a headsche

Why do want to keep it - utility, sentiment?

another alternative

Dismantle the car and sell the body panels etc.
Old 9th May 2008, 20:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

If you still like the performance of the 1.7 Turbo diesel, we could arrange a high quality rebuild after checking if every single engine part(genuine) is source able from the market.
Old 9th May 2008, 21:41   #4
BANNED

Buy a Palio 1.3 Mjd.
Take the engine out of the car and sell the body. I'm sure some FiAT fan will be proud to pick it up. Or just keep it aside as backup for your Siena.
Fit the engine into the Siena.
Enjoy!

But when I rethink.....
The alloy wheel idea looks better.
Old 10th May 2008, 00:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

Max - I think the MJD idea is a no go due to the exorbitant cost of a new engine unless you can find once off a newly crashed Palio!

My suggestion, rebuild it at a "good" workshop if you can find all the spares otherwise dump it.
Old 10th May 2008, 08:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
If you still like the performance of the 1.7 Turbo diesel, we could arrange a high quality rebuild after checking if every single engine part(genuine) is source able from the market.
Am very much interested. How much will it cost me ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Buy a Palio 1.3 Mjd.
Take the engine out of the car and sell the body. I'm sure some FiAT fan will be proud to pick it up. Or just keep it aside as backup for your Siena.
Fit the engine into the Siena.
Enjoy!

But when I rethink.....
The alloy wheel idea looks better.
nice one !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Do the math

Ditch car = Rs 50000
Overhaul = - Rs 50000, you might get Rs75000 to Rs 1 lakh
1.3 JTD engine - Rs 2 Lakh - engine, ECU, wirking harness, hair dye as integrating it all will be a headsche

Why do want to keep it - utility, sentiment?

another alternative

Dismantle the car and sell the body panels etc.
30% sentiment , 70% common sense

The thing is I really have take care of my car , and apart from the engine she is as solid as any other car. I guess after looking from your post , Engine rebuild is a very very expensive option , so I think am gonna drop the idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Max - I think the MJD idea is a no go due to the exorbitant cost of a new engine unless you can find once off a newly crashed Palio!

My suggestion, rebuild it at a "good" workshop if you can find all the spares otherwise dump it.
Hmm the " good " worshop is all were the problem lies , I am yet to find one.

Last edited by ajmat : 10th May 2008 at 08:49.
Old 10th May 2008, 13:56   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Another option could be selling your car and buying a <75,000 km run Siena / Petra diesel. The only challenge here will be to find one.
Old 10th May 2008, 15:05   #8
BHPian

Maxbhp- Iam from Thrissur and I suggest you look at Mustang motors.Iam their customer for some years now and I find their job good.
Old 10th May 2008, 16:09   #9
Team-BHP Support

Sell the car for 50 to 75 thousand thats the best option.
Old 10th May 2008, 16:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

Before you think in terms of an engine swap I would suggest that you look up the Kerala RTO rules about engine changes. You have to:

1. Have it done by the authorized dealer.

2. Have it replaced by the same engine.

3. If the same engine cannot be found the RTO has to be convinced that the replacement engine is suitable or is one that is used in newer models of the same car.

In other words, it is not worth the trouble. Sell it off for whatever you can get for it. Why on earth someone would want to replace the engine on an 8-year old Siena is beyond me, but I guess you have your reasons for wanting to do so.
Old 10th May 2008, 17:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

Buy a 1.6 GTX engine and put it in.
Old 10th May 2008, 17:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

@Max, you've always wanted a 1.6 GTX, right? Sell the Siena and get a GTX. I'm sure you'll end us spending lesser cash overall. And to add to Ajmat's post, you're too young to have to start using hair-dye . Make a clean exit now.
Old 10th May 2008, 17:46   #13
Team-BHP Support

It is easy to get sentimental about cars but after a few days, you are over it unless you bought a lemon to replace it. I loved my vtec and had good times with it but I am not crying
Old 10th May 2008, 19:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Another option could be selling your car and buying a <75,000 km run Siena / Petra diesel. The only challenge here will be to find one.
Hmm....thats a good suggestion but the problem lies in finding a well maintained car . Usually owner rap@ the car after they come to realise that the car value has plummeted . Though I never did that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veelubai View Post
Maxbhp- Iam from Thrissur and I suggest you look at Mustang motors.Iam their customer for some years now and I find their job good.
I took it to Mustang motors and they suggested me an engine rebuild . The problem is the workshop manager is not confident enough to carry on the job . Moreovre he is doubtful whether he will be in a position to procure parts to be replaced in the stipulated time period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Sell the car for 50 to 75 thousand thats the best option.
I have an offer of 1.2 lacs so I guess its good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Buy a 1.6 GTX engine and put it in.
Viper , I would love to but I need some mileage . Moreover this is going to be my everyday drive which involves atleast 800 kms a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Before you think in terms of an engine swap I would suggest that you look up the Kerala RTO rules about engine changes. You have to:

1. Have it done by the authorized dealer.

2. Have it replaced by the same engine.

3. If the same engine cannot be found the RTO has to be convinced that the replacement engine is suitable or is one that is used in newer models of the same car.

In other words, it is not worth the trouble. Sell it off for whatever you can get for it. Why on earth someone would want to replace the engine on an 8-year old Siena is beyond me, but I guess you have your reasons for wanting to do so.
Well I knew that its to be recorded in the R.C book but never thought the whole procedure to be so tedious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
@Max, you've always wanted a 1.6 GTX, right? Sell the Siena and get a GTX. I'm sure you'll end us spending lesser cash overall. And to add to Ajmat's post, you're too young to have to start using hair-dye . Make a clean exit now.
If I get a good one , I will make the move .

Quote:
It is easy to get sentimental about cars but after a few days, you are over it unless you bought a lemon to replace it. I loved my vtec and had good times with it but I am not crying
Hmm I do agree that half of push for going for this project is sentiments but like you said I will hunt for a good car .

THE WHOLE IDEA IS I DONT WANT TO BUY A NEW CAR NOW COZ AM A READY OWNER OF FIAT GRAND PUNTO the moment it arrives
Old 10th May 2008, 20:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
we could arrange a high quality rebuild after checking if every single engine part(genuine) is source able from the market.
Nitrous, you have a source to do that? A good mechanic ?

Quote:
Damn that VTEC was one sweet car ajit..i still have fresh memories of our track experience..thanks

boy, if i were you, i'd sell the car and buy a new one..most new cars have better technology than that was available in the 90s. Had a Fiat Uno Jubilee and loved it till the end.. One car that could hug the road upto 140 in days when 100 was a good top speed.. The steering was amazing..2.2 turns lock to lock which translates into a better on road experience..but as ajmat says..all good times will come to an end and one must not cry over it..

Last edited by headers : 10th May 2008 at 20:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks