Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2008, 17:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Hey! Instead of getting this car, why not hunt around for a 190E 2.5?? Gogi, are they available here??
Yup. 2.5D 190E. Should be in the 4.0 lac region.
Old 22nd May 2008, 18:34   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
just why are you behind a merc suddenly. i mean you got a new audi. and then you wanted e190 now there are 5 more contendors. lancer project bored so now this is it ?

@Jesal

Remeber this a forum of car / automobile enthusiasts many of us I know own more than one car & even those who do own more than one still want to buy more. There is no "logical" answer I can give to your question.

As for the Lancer - I will either sell it or put in a MIVEC 1.6L straight 4 in it.

Cheers
Old 22nd May 2008, 19:31   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
@Jesal

Remeber this a forum of car / automobile enthusiasts many of us I know own more than one car & even those who do own more than one still want to buy more. There is no "logical" answer I can give to your question.

As for the Lancer - I will either sell it or put in a MIVEC 1.6L straight 4 in it.

Cheers
lol i dint want a logical one really just wanted to know why the particular model. all cool, im checking this thread out regularly
Old 22nd May 2008, 23:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Yup. 2.5D 190E. Should be in the 4.0 lac region.
Noooooooooooooooo!!!Not the diesel!! I'm talking about the 2.5L 16Valve 204Bhp petrol!!
Old 23rd May 2008, 10:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

Many a times, dealers will palm off to you imported W124 (E220 or E250) for Indian ones. If such is the case, then you can be sure the cars are not bearing the genuine date of manufacture as shown in the books.
A Simple and easy tip to differentiate the Indian W124 from the Imported variety:
The Inidan W124 never came with a Glove box .
The imported W124 always came with a glove box, whether it did or did not have a passenger side airbag.
So if your W124 has a glove box its not the Indian W124.

@V-16

From what I gather from your post here is, that it is adviseable to buy the Indian Made W124 vs the imported one. Any major reasons for the same ? Don't the Indian & imported ones share parts ?

Also wanted to know whether the Diesel or the Petrol needs lesser maintainence - which of the two would be lower on cost of ownership.

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 23rd May 2008 at 10:54.
Old 23rd May 2008, 14:24   #21
BHPian

i see ricky , abix and accordmasters have stired a hornets nest on teambhp. good to see people are finally open to do out n out hardocore mods to make their cars custom pocket rockets..
Old 23rd May 2008, 18:38   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
From what I gather from your post here is, that it is adviseable to buy the Indian Made W124 vs the imported one. Any major reasons for the same ? Don't the Indian & imported ones share parts ?
The Indian one would make sense simply because it would be the newer! Only a crackhead would import a W124 E220 when MBenz already started making it here.

But I still love the low slung look of imported W124's vis a vis the high-on-heels stance of the Indian.
Old 23rd May 2008, 18:55   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Indian one would make sense simply because it would be the newer! Only a crackhead would import a W124 E220 when MBenz already started making it here.

But I still love the low slung look of imported W124's vis a vis the high-on-heels stance of the Indian.

Or maybe the import happened because someone moved in TR or something - just thinking aloud. What my concern is - is the imported one worse than the Indian version ?

Thanks
Old 24th May 2008, 01:34   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Noooooooooooooooo!!!Not the diesel!! I'm talking about the 2.5L 16Valve 204Bhp petrol!!
AAahhhh!!! A man after my own heart. what you are implying to is a 190E Cosworth Evo-I (No its not a Ford nor a Mitsubishi) with four seater Recaro sport seat interior. It had rear captain/bucket seats like the CLS and 3 extra dials, an oil temp gauge, stopwatch and amp/volt meter embedded smartly in the centre console and was available in only four colour options.
That is a seriously fast car. There is oe for sale in bombay which is as ex Karivardhan car with south regd and no papers. Also the car is totally messed up. Interested? I offered 1.25 for it long ago. The guy wanted 7 for a non runner with the engine opened. Sad but true. I know of no other cosworth in Bombay. Would love to own one.
By now it must have deteriorated even more.
Quote:
@V-16

Also wanted to know whether the Diesel or the Petrol needs lesser maintainence - which of the two would be lower on cost of ownership.

Cheers
Well, actually they do share a few parts but not all. Actually the iIndian made car would be a better buy simply because you are sure its what it is. The imported one may be a few years older than whet is claimed.
If this car is going to be a daily drive and at least 100 kms per day minimum then only a diesel makes sense if you are buying for economy reasons, but buying a merc refutes all claims of it being used as an economical option.
By the way, you were considering an engine swap, so where did this option spring out from

Quote:
Or maybe the import happened because someone moved in TR or something - just thinking aloud. What my concern is - is the imported one worse than the Indian version ?
Thanks
Actually quite true but still, imports are a doubtful buy unless you are very sure. The imported ones are usually worse than the Indian ones.
Look for a clean car and get it checked and certified at a Merc authorised workshop. These guys charge you a small sum for the service and its worth every penny.

Last edited by V-16 : 24th May 2008 at 01:38.
Old 24th May 2008, 10:21   #25
Senior - BHPian

@ V-16

Thanks for the advise.

As for the engine swap - well if I have to take that route then I'd rather pick up the 190E sitting at the farm, coz my cost of aquisition will be next to nothing.

The E220 & 250D is being considered as these are running cars & can be used as such till I actually do the swap story.

Quite honestly it's the same old culprit, shortage of Vit.M

Let's see what comes out of it all !!!!!!!!

Cheers
Old 24th May 2008, 10:26   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
AAahhhh!!! A man after my own heart..............That is a seriously fast car. There is oe for sale in bombay which is as ex Karivardhan car with south regd and no papers. Also the car is totally messed up. Interested? I offered 1.25 for it long ago. The guy wanted 7 for a non runner with the engine opened. Sad but true. I know of no other cosworth in Bombay. Would love to own one.
By now it must have deteriorated even more.
One of life's lucky escapes, i was after this car but the price quoted was 9l. Never went to see car. It had delhi plates from the pics sent to me. The rear suspension had been converted to normal from the self levelling system.
Old 24th May 2008, 15:10   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
One of life's lucky escapes, i was after this car but the price quoted was 9l. Never went to see car. It had delhi plates from the pics sent to me. The rear suspension had been converted to normal from the self levelling system.
Absolutely right. I went to see it though as I thought the price factor could be worked upon or an exchange considered but as you said the suspension was altered and the head was lying opened separately. The car was horrible in the interior part and there was car patch (or filler) all over. This put me off. Bravely I still offered 1.25 for the sheer uniqueness of the car. These are very desirable and collectible today but the amount to be spent on the car would be tremendous, so I opted out, not that he was ready to sell it for 1.25. Plus no papers. Big issue with me.
Old 24th May 2008, 16:21   #28
Senior - BHPian

Guys

Just test drove a (Telco) E220. Late 1996. Clean bodyline, overall everything works & looked good. Though the A/c was not very effective even in 35 degree temperature (it's been raining since the past few days )

There was however a slight clunk on every gear shift (either differential or drive shaft), especially pronounced on 1st to 2nd & 2nd to 3rd. The suspension was smooth over rough roads, but there was sound of squeaking springs over speedbreakers...

Going to get the car checked at Merc Authorized Service Station & then take a call. Mileage on odo 68k. Body had some few scrathes which pedestrians love to leave on a standing car.

Asking price 4.5L....what say ?

Also looking at another E220 Automatic & a E200 manual....let's see

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 24th May 2008 at 16:22.
Old 24th May 2008, 16:39   #29
Team-BHP Support

Take a look at the E220 auto, mercs work better as auto's as the manual boxes are clunky and have a long throw
Old 25th May 2008, 20:13   #30
BHPian

@Ricky- Why dont you go for a Mercedes benz Sl300?

Had seen one on ebay for sale.
Here's the linkeBay India: Mercedes Benz : SL300 Convertible (EXCHANGE WELCOME) (item 270238785634 end time 18-Jun-2008 17:40:48 IST)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks