Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2008, 02:41   #1

K&N Filters for Scorpio 2.6?

Googled and found the following link: India Automotive: Now available: K&N filters for Mahindra Scorpio CRDE and CRDE M-Hawk
Has anyone installed these in their Scorps? Any feedback?
I am based in Delhi and have done approx. 8,500 Kms on my Scorpio (2.6 CRDE LX)... Am planning to get the second service (6 Mo /10,000 Kms) done next week. Should i get these in before servicing? Will it have any impact on emission as i also need to get a PUC Certificate.
Have switched to regular Diesel after i got negative feedback on Extra Premium / Speed from the service guy last time around...
Thank You..
Old 19th May 2008, 17:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

I've no idea about the K&N but I've installed Green Cotton in my Scorpio of 2004 model. When I was looking for performance filters I was suggested Green because they come in a casing, while the K&N are open filters in the engine bay. Thus they suck the hot air fromt he engine bay and negate the whole idea of suckng in cold air that is very essential for diesels to perform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydindian View Post
Googled and found the following link: India Automotive: Now available: K&N filters for Mahindra Scorpio CRDE and CRDE M-Hawk
I am based in Delhi and have done approx. 8,500 Kms on my Scorpio (2.6 CRDE LX)... Am planning to get the second service (6 Mo /10,000 Kms) done next week. Should i get these in before servicing? Will it have any impact on emission as i also need to get a PUC Certificate.
Have switched to regular Diesel after i got negative feedback on Extra Premium / Speed from the service guy last time around...
Thank You..
Old 22nd May 2008, 15:05   #3
BHPian

K&N, Green, etc. are all fabric filters with wire mesh for support. They do decrease the pressure drop across the air filter and will therefore give you performance results.

Less pressure drop across filter = less filtration

However, along with the higher air flow will come more dust particles. India and Delhi in particular has very high dust conditions that require more rather than less filtration. Diesels are compression engines and are therefore more sensitive to dust than petrol units. More frequent oil and filter changes would also be a good idea if running free flow filters.

So if you are not concerned about additional wear and tear due to added dust going into the engine, go for the fabric filter.
Old 22nd May 2008, 15:17   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

even i saw this link and checked with several local suppliers including Methods Automotive who are the official distributor for K&N .
They have been telling me since last month that the stock will come next week, week after week - I am getting tired of waiting and am wondering where I can buy this green cotton business in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydindian View Post
Thank You..
Old 22nd May 2008, 15:22   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

i want to install this replacement filter in my scorp
but while i have installed it in my Swift, I cannot frankly perceive any difference after installing the K&N replacement.
Will it really make that much of a difference if one simply exchanges the regular paper stock filter for a new (replacement) K&N or Green Cotton filter?
I am very clear I dont want to do any hi tec mods on my Air Intake like that Typhoon Kit and all that - I m not in the market for that level of Modifications.
do let me know

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
K&N, Green, etc. are all fabric filters with wire mesh for support. They do decrease the pressure drop across the air filter and will therefore give you performance results.

Less pressure drop across filter = less filtration

However, along with the higher air flow will come more dust particles. India and Delhi in particular has very high dust conditions that require more rather than less filtration. Diesels are compression engines and are therefore more sensitive to dust than petrol units. More frequent oil and filter changes would also be a good idea if running free flow filters.

So if you are not concerned about additional wear and tear due to added dust going into the engine, go for the fabric filter.
Old 31st July 2009, 17:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
i want to install this replacement filter in my scorp
but while i have installed it in my Swift, I cannot frankly perceive any difference after installing the K&N replacement.
Will it really make that much of a difference if one simply exchanges the regular paper stock filter for a new (replacement) K&N or Green Cotton filter?
I am very clear I dont want to do any hi tec mods on my Air Intake like that Typhoon Kit and all that - I m not in the market for that level of Modifications.
do let me know
I installed in my Aveo (Petrol), and see tremendous performance increase. I even think that this might increase FE.
I was under the impression that K&N could do better with diesel engines than on Petrol Engines. But now I suspect.
I am changing the car now to Scorpio, and I need to get your opinions on this. Any other Scorpio owners with K&N...?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks