Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2010, 13:36   #16
BHPian

How old are the sunfilm that you have, Rastapopoulos?
There are plenty of sunfilms available that will cut the heat.
I'd recommend 3M. Moreover when you park the car, roll down the window a little bit (If the locality is safe). This reduces the heat.
Old 30th March 2010, 13:42   #17
Senior - BHPian

1. Check if the air flow is in re-circulate mode.
2. Check the condition of AC filter which is placed behind the glove box in most cars
Old 30th March 2010, 13:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

Does your a/c not cool for the first 10-15mins or simply does not cool ever? Like you said, its important to identify whether the issue is technical or not. Can't you simply ever park in shade? I think it will help, as already suggested, to leave your windows a tiny bit open when you park. Else, get a silver (not black one) reflective sheet to put on your front and rear glass when you park. Its usually sold on traffic signals.

If your car stays out in the sun for most part of the day, i seriously doubt anything can offer a immediate relief from the heat. The cabin definitely needs time to cool down before you feel comfortable. For all you know, the a/c is working as designed and its just that its really hot outside.
Old 30th March 2010, 14:02   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post
On the other hand, it can avoid issues with glass on the car. There are cases where an overheat would break the glasses.

One more thing I try is I drive with AC and windows open, all the four for some time before closing them.

Why don't you try it once.

What are the specs of current film you have?
Point Taken that the outside and inside temprature variation can cause a damage. I just went out and rolled the windows down a bit so that the car can breathe.
Also I do keep the AC on 4 while the windows are open for the 5 minute drive.

Film Specs are - Garware Classic on windows and Front Sceen has some IceCool range. (Cant recall this will check and update)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEC_Rocks View Post
How old are the sunfilm that you have, Rastapopoulos?
There are plenty of sunfilms available that will cut the heat.
I'd recommend 3M. Moreover when you park the car, roll down the window a little bit (If the locality is safe). This reduces the heat.
The films are not old. Its just been 5 months for the car and the film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
1. Check if the air flow is in re-circulate mode.
2. Check the condition of AC filter which is placed behind the glove box in most cars
Kpzen The AC is in re-circulate mode and no issues with the AC.
Old 30th March 2010, 14:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

If you are sure the AC is working like it should (and it seems so, as it cools fine if you drive from a shade), then try the sunfilms - I recommend 3M's CR40 on the sides and CR70 on the front.

Note that the CR series pretty much the highest of their range, and will set you back by much. And even though I have recommended CR40, the visibility difference of CR40 from CR50 is not that differentiable yet you get 3% more solar energy rejection for the same cost.

3M India: Choose your film
Old 30th March 2010, 14:42   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
If you are sure the AC is working like it should (and it seems so, as it cools fine if you drive from a shade), then try the sunfilms - I recommend 3M's CR40 on the sides and CR70 on the front.

Note that the CR series pretty much the highest of their range, and will set you back by much. And even though I have recommended CR40, the visibility difference of CR40 from CR50 is not that differentiable yet you get 3% more solar energy rejection for the same cost.

3M India: Choose your film

The line which says will set me back by much is scary . How much an approximate cost should it take for getting this done?
Old 30th March 2010, 18:55   #22
BHPian

A quick Update - Today After reading to your suggestions I had left a small vent by opening the windows partially.
Trust me guys the effect was really noticeable. The car was not as hot as it used to be. It could be because of other reasons too. Like I started a bit late today and also saw some shadow on the car.
Due to this the cooling also happened quickly on AC at speed 3.

I will do this simple solution for a few days and observe the results. Sometimes the solutions are so simple .
I hope I don't have to bear the cost of a film upgrade if this solution works out perfectly.
Old 30th March 2010, 21:00   #23
Senior - BHPian

My guess is 10 to 12k - but this only a blind guess! Check with a 3M distributor in your city - and don't forget to bargain for 70 - 80% of the MRP

On the lines of leaving a small vent in the windows, why dont you have those rolled curtain-kinda thing that they sell on road sides? A nice reflective one stuck on the front and back should be good.
Old 30th March 2010, 21:37   #24
BHPian

If the car is standing in the sun for quite a few hours, no amount of sunfilm adjustment can be a solution here. In my Fiesta SXI, I have Huper-optik sunfilm incl the front windscreen, and for around 4 hrs in open sun, it becomes comfortable within 5 mins. In Chennai summer.

I am carrying out the following procedure with good results:
- Open all four doors completely for couple of minutes before getting in and driving away
- Once you get in, keep all four windows open, and put the blower to 4, air-flow direction towards the feet, so that hot air is forced to escape from the windows. At the same time, the cooling is from the bottom up.

- After a minute or so, close the windows, re-adjust the blower speed, air flow direction to face level.

The vent direction will play a crucial role in some areas getting cooler than others.

To rule out a/c malfunction, do check and confirm if during the morning/late evenings, the cooling effect is proper.

In case you do not have a front windscreen sunfilm, it is better you get it..this does help a lot.

Last edited by sanjayc : 30th March 2010 at 21:39.
Old 31st March 2010, 14:31   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
My guess is 10 to 12k - but this only a blind guess! Check with a 3M distributor in your city - and don't forget to bargain for 70 - 80% of the MRP

On the lines of leaving a small vent in the windows, why dont you have those rolled curtain-kinda thing that they sell on road sides? A nice reflective one stuck on the front and back should be good.
Thats a substantial amount and I would really expect some major difference if I go for it. Specially after stripping off the existing film for which I have already paid.
About the curtain like rolls, I am not too sure if they would filter out any heat and reflect the heat. The would be good to provide a shadow but in a closed car, the heat radiations will still heat up the leather seats. I think the reflectors (some silver material) might be more useful. Will check on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
If the car is standing in the sun for quite a few hours, no amount of sunfilm adjustment can be a solution here. In my Fiesta SXI, I have Huper-optik sunfilm incl the front windscreen, and for around 4 hrs in open sun, it becomes comfortable within 5 mins. In Chennai summer.

I am carrying out the following procedure with good results:
- Open all four doors completely for couple of minutes before getting in and driving away
- Once you get in, keep all four windows open, and put the blower to 4, air-flow direction towards the feet, so that hot air is forced to escape from the windows. At the same time, the cooling is from the bottom up.

- After a minute or so, close the windows, re-adjust the blower speed, air flow direction to face level.

The vent direction will play a crucial role in some areas getting cooler than others.

To rule out a/c malfunction, do check and confirm if during the morning/late evenings, the cooling effect is proper.

In case you do not have a front windscreen sunfilm, it is better you get it..this does help a lot.
Sanjay I do the same things open the doors, also drive the car with AC on 4 with open windows for 5 minutes.
The only difference is my car is not in sun for just 4 hours. It stands in the sun right from when the sun starts burning at 10.00 am till 5.00 am making it act like a large oven ready to cook me.

The AC does work perfectly well but since there is so much heat thats already absorbed in the seats it is a time consuming task for the AC to cool them.

IMHO the AC vents pointing towards feet might not mean much as hot air is always moving towards the top. Plus the seats are constantly releasing the heat. I just aim the vents in different directions so as to cover as much area as possible.

I will again like to remind that a small vent in windows has acted wonders yesterday. I will observe it for a few days.
Old 6th April 2010, 12:26   #26
BHPian

I am observing a huge difference in overall experience. The car is not a oven when I get into it, it cools faster.
But I am still not too satified with the fild as I do feel the warm sun through the tint.

I plan to go for a short trip this weekend (I know a trip in this weather is really stupid) and will see how the film supports the cooling fo the car.

I can then think if a change is worth the investment or should I just carry on with the existing film as long as I can.
Old 6th April 2010, 12:30   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastapopoulos View Post
I am observing a huge difference in overall experience. The car is not a oven when I get into it, it cools faster.
But I am still not too satified with the fild as I do feel the warm sun through the tint.

I plan to go for a short trip this weekend (I know a trip in this weather is really stupid) and will see how the film supports the cooling fo the car.

I can then think if a change is worth the investment or should I just carry on with the existing film as long as I can.
Apart from Window rolling try putting A/C in outlet position while parking. This should as well assist in reducing some heat.

Cheers
Raghu
Old 6th April 2010, 16:23   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post
Apart from Window rolling try putting A/C in outlet position while parking. This should as well assist in reducing some heat.

Cheers
Raghu
Will try this too. Just wondering how, if would this really make a difference.
Old 6th April 2010, 17:36   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Will try this too. Just wondering how, if would this really make a difference.
Idea is to allow as much outside air as possible inside to maintain the temperature (to minimal or equal to outside), keeping in outlet should allow air to flow even from front to inside the car.
Old 6th April 2010, 20:55   #30
BHPian

Quote:
It stands in the sun right from when the sun starts burning at 10.00 am till 5.00 am making it act like a large oven ready to cook me.
Guess that is 10am-5pm..Man, you can save some time by carrying raw food from home..by lunch it will get cooked inside the car. Good luck with the summer heat.

But seriously, in such scenarios, not sure how even the best tint may help. Your best bet may be to direct all air towards face so that at least some feeling of coolness is there, instead of trying to cool entire inside.

I remember seeing some gadgets being sold on "As seen on TV" type ads..this particular gagdet is stuck on the top of the window.

Amazon.com: AUTO COOL AS SEEN ON TV SOLAR POWERED VENT FAN AUTOCOOL: Health & Personal Care

eBay.com.sg: SOLAR SUN POWERED WINDOW FAN AUTO COOL AIR VENT FOR CAR (item 250590100649 end time May 02, 2010 08:32:05 SGT)

If you claim that leaving a slight gap in the window does improve the situation quite a lot, then theoritically, this gadget should be helpfull.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks