Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2008, 16:29   #16
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Daniel, join the club. Chrome plating will not last long either, IMO. I have it in my car.
Old 21st May 2008, 16:43   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saravanan2603 View Post
I would like to change the mufflers alone. I just wanna change the sound to a rocking noise. On the other hand not interested in headers/free flows etc to increase performance as I dont wanna compromise on my FE.

Can somebody tell me a reliable place where I can get this job done in Chennai. Also pls. let me know what would be the approx cost for this kinda job.
Saravanan, getting a header/FFE does not compromise the FE. It will actually increase a bit. The only reason why the FE reduces is attributed to one revving the engine to hear the highly addictive sound of the exhaust and for the rush of power.

Even with a stock engine, FE is compromised when floored or driven hard. Same applies to a muffler change too. I initially wanted only a muffler but got a header and freeflow and now there is no looking back. Cant imagine driving a car with no freeflow and performance factor.

If you want a muffler change, you can buy a SS (stainless Steel) one like the one in the pic. It is available at almost all auto accessory shops. Try GP road to start with. You get magnaflow, mugen etc. (look-alikes) which cost around 4k-6k a piece. Installation is very simple and any local mechanic will be able to do it in less than 30 mins.

For a header and free flow job in chennai I would recommend Electra on the OMR. Linky : Electra Performance welcomes you

You can also buy just the muffler from Electra. Costs around 5k IIRC.

For more info, search the forum.

All the best.

Last edited by n_aditya : 21st May 2008 at 16:44.
Old 21st May 2008, 16:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear BHPians,

I have a Swift LXi, for which I would like to change the mufflers alone, like the one similar to Ironwolf's, I just wanna change the sound to a rocking noise. On the other hand not interested in headers/free flows etc to increase performance as I dont wanna compromise on my FE.

Can somebody tell me a reliable place where I can get this job done in Chennai. Also pls. let me know what would be the approx cost for this kinda job.
Hey your just changing you end can.. Its a pretty simple job. 4000/- should get you a good end can. Get your center muff out too. Go to your nearest Performance shop.
Old 21st May 2008, 17:04   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
Get your center muff out too.
. If you want a loud exhaust then get rid of the center muffler. But do note that the noise in the cabin increases significantly. On long drives this exhaust drone can cause splitting headaches.
Old 21st May 2008, 17:46   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Congrats friend. The end can looks great. I am waiting for my warranty period to be over.
Thanks patience, Warranty? just go for it

Quote:
Dear BHPians,

I have a Swift LXi, for which I would like to change the mufflers alone, like the one similar to Ironwolf's, I just wanna change the sound to a rocking noise. On the other hand not interested in headers/free flows etc to increase performance as I dont wanna compromise on my FE.
This is the biggest misconception with the headers and Free flows. Any decent Headers and FFE should actually increase mileage a bit as there is less restriction on the engine.

I agree - The guys floor it once they get their FFE job done and then blame the installer for the drop in mileage.

Saravana. like Aditya said don't hold back on headers cause of mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Congrats Daniel, join the club. Chrome plating will not last long either, IMO. I have it in my car.
Hey EL, thanks, yeah really dont care for the chroming as I aint gonna pop the hood to show it off. BTW where have you been?
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
. If you want a loud exhaust then get rid of the center muffler. But do note that the noise in the cabin increases significantly. On long drives this exhaust drone can cause splitting headaches.
If you want it even louder, take out the mid muffler and stop with a Side-Pipe. Dont think there are any louder options.
are there?

Last edited by IronWolf : 21st May 2008 at 17:50.
Old 21st May 2008, 18:01   #21
BHPian

Awesome man. The endcan especially looks nice.

Should show some more installed pics. I too need to get an FFE sometime.
Old 21st May 2008, 19:06   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear BHPians,

I have a Swift LXi, for which I would like to change the mufflers alone, like the one similar to Ironwolf's, I just wanna change the sound to a rocking noise.
You might want to read this thread (Query on Muffler Install).

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiablo View Post
You should have by now put up the thread on your build. Whats up with it start a thread with pics.
Old 21st May 2008, 20:04   #23
BHPian

OT: Riju, its not time yet. Will do so.

I forgot to ask IronWolf, you have retained the cat con right?
Old 21st May 2008, 20:27   #24
BHPian

Wow thats kewl !! good job maduncle, i am just wondering why wolf has stopped hunting nowadays ? has the wolf become a vegetarian or is it because one hunting costs 40k..

drive safe and take care man.
Old 21st May 2008, 23:29   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No comment ! Doesn't a Cat Con restrict airflow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by praJEEP View Post
Wow thats kewl !! good job maduncle, i am just wondering why wolf has stopped hunting nowadays ? has the wolf become a vegetarian or is it because one hunting costs 40k..

drive safe and take care man.
Lil after the goats incident I had a Knee injury and was out of the drivers seat for about 3 months. So now am back with a vengance.

Quote:
Awesome man. The endcan especially looks nice.

Installed pics coming up shortly. Nothing much to show.

a) headers are covered by heat shield
b) end can does not jut out, is high and close to bumper again on customers choice.
Old 21st May 2008, 23:42   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Unless there was a cat-back installed, the catcon is a goner typically.
Old 22nd May 2008, 07:40   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Unless there was a cat-back installed, the catcon is a goner typically.
Hmmm... i was under the impression that changing the headers leaves rest of the exhaust system untouched. Isnt "getting headers" different from "getting a free flow exhaust" ? unless one goes and gets the cat con removed explicitly, it should pretty much still be there after you get headers.

But then again, "what do i know about diamonds?"
Old 22nd May 2008, 10:06   #28
Senior - BHPian

you are spot on amitoj. Its just that people who normally get the headers donme remove the cat to improve "performance" and the exhaust note as well. there are headers which work along with cat cons
Old 22nd May 2008, 10:11   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91 View Post
you are spot on amitoj. Its just that people who normally get the headers donme remove the cat to improve "performance" and the exhaust note as well. there are headers which work along with cat cons
O Ok, thanks for clearing that. So, what do they put in place of the catcon? Just a straight-through pipe?
Old 22nd May 2008, 10:44   #30
Senior - BHPian

yes and depending on the car it might have one or 2 "cans" a.k.a mufflers and end in a chrome tip

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks