Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2005, 15:23   #1
BHPian

Teflon, Under chassis treatment etc

Hey Guys,

Booked my Baleno today - I'm going for a '05 Euro III model. It seems that Maruti has completly stopped manufacture of Euro II models from '05.....so if I wanted a EII, I would have got a '04 model! EIII might be 10K more, but I sure don't wanna screw-up my resale by buying a '04 model, so EIII it is!

As soon as I booked my car, I was literally attacked by the salesman there to do all sorts of stuff - Teflon coating, under chassis treatment, seat covers etc etc. Luckily I had read in a post that the Teflon coating is a waste and seat covers I will get outside for a better price....

The only thing that I'm not sure about is the under chassis "treatment". This will set me back by 4500 bucks. Is this really required? They said that it will prevent rusting of the chassis and prevent chipping by stones etc; but it sure looks bad - like a coating of tar!! Also, I don't have a lot of cash to splurge; alloys, tyres and music system will suck me dry. So what do I do- get it done or is it a waste??

~Sonic
Old 19th February 2005, 15:33   #2
BHPian

waste of money!!!!!!................................
Old 19th February 2005, 19:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

I wouldnt say so, i do recommend underbody rubberizing and teflon coating to all of my customers, but not the ones they do at the maruti dealership (they use local stuff) however if u can get it done from a reputed individual workshop youd be much better off with the right kind of products. i use Valvoline's Tectyl treatment for the underbody. and make sure u get it done with the wheels removed behind the fenderlining coz its a very neglected area but thats where all the mud slung from the wheels actually sticks. the coating does help in the long run if u wish to keep your car for a few years. btw, besides the rust prevention it also acts as a sound deadener.
Old 19th February 2005, 21:08   #4
BHPian

May be for coastal it should serve the purpose.
Old 19th February 2005, 23:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

if you bargain you can get it thrown in free
Old 21st February 2005, 01:34   #6
RJK
Senior - BHPian

yup..try to get it done for free. & it definitely isn't a waste of time.
Old 21st February 2005, 11:15   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic
They said that it will prevent rusting of the chassis and prevent chipping by stones etc; but it sure looks bad - like a coating of tar!!
It's a rubber coating and not tar. Don't know to what extent but it also acts as a sound deadner. The cost they're giving you is correct. But no harm getting it free if you can manage.
Old 22nd February 2005, 20:31   #8
BHPian

dont believe the dealerif he says he is using teflon coating.. make sure he uses the teflon coats and not a simple wax polish... i did some research on teflon coating.. it was originally and still made by dupont but even if you go to dupont website you wouldnt find teflon products there.. i think its a waste going for teflon coats..
Old 23rd February 2005, 11:05   #9

I got my Baleno Teflon coated at the dealer and I am sure it was not worth it - Basically it is supposed to protect the car from minor scratches (atleast, thats waht I was told), and I have enough minor scratches (Even if you wipe light dust off your car with a soft dry cloth you will get these, and teflon does not help here)

Anyways, if you are planning to wash and wax regularly you do not need teflon coating, and in Bangalore you deftly dont need under chassis coating..
Old 23rd February 2005, 11:56   #10
BHPian

The under body coat might be usefull during the rainy days. But i am not sure either. May have to wait for say 2,3 years to feel the real impact of this treatment, to see if it has prevented any rust or any such thing.
The 4500 is due to the size of the car i guess. for sail it was around 2.5k.

But if u can find a better way to spend that money, then skip this.

BTW one of my frined has baleno in his radar. how much does the onroad came to? which dealer?

Last edited by gkrishn : 23rd February 2005 at 11:58.
Old 23rd February 2005, 14:00   #11
BHPian

Confused!!

Well, I've definitely ruled-out Teflon coating. But I am really in two minds abt the under chassis rubberizing; I can use the 4.5K for something else..... And are cars that vulnerable to rust? I have a 8 year old M800 at home and it hasn't had any such problem.....

~Sonic
Old 23rd February 2005, 14:11   #12

In Bangalore, definitely you dont need the underchassis coating - even though it is rains a bit here, it is not like the coastal regions with constant humidity (you dont see cars with the body corroded like that in coastal regions)

You should do whatever else the money can do for you in my opinion...
Old 23rd February 2005, 15:00   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic
And are cars that vulnerable to rust?
If I trust my memory, Petra has 5 years anti-corrosion warranty. Should be the same for others too.

Most Viewed