Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2008, 00:31   #1
BANNED

Fuel gauge to be tampered !!

I know it sounds strange .. but the thing is that I have 2 M800's , 1 MPFI and the other is a carbed model . I wanto to know if its possible to tamper with the sensor of the fuel gauge in the meter -- in a manner that the needle drops much slower than actual thus giving it a wrong reading but at the same time can another fuel gauge be fitted somewhere else where its concealed but that should show the actual reading of the amount of fuel in the tank .

So basically two fuel gauges in the car connected to the same fuel sensor but both showing diff readings .. One showing original and the other showing an altered reading .

Is this possible ??? URGENT ...
Old 31st May 2008, 00:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

But why you need to do such a stealth thing Saajid

something is fishy here mate
Old 31st May 2008, 00:58   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
But why you need to do such a stealth thing Saajid

something is fishy here mate
Firstly , its Saazid and not Saajid :-) !! And no .. its nothing fishy -- just a method to keep a check on the cars driven by the drivers to see that they can't pilfer fuel !! So need both needles to work so that they dont think Im keeping a check but at the end of the day a biz owner has to try an be one step ahead -- so thats what Im trying to be , one step ahead :-) .
Old 31st May 2008, 01:44   #4
Team-BHP Support

Won't drop in mileage tell you that they pilfer fuel, why bother with the fuel guage. Unless they are resetting the meter every day.
Even in that case installing GPS logger in the car(which truck fleet owners use) will be simpler and cheaper.
Old 31st May 2008, 02:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Even in that case installing GPS logger in the car(which truck fleet owners use) will be simpler and cheaper.

How would that help Saazid know if they are stealing fuel or not ?
Old 31st May 2008, 11:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

OMG, what all weird things/contraption you think...phew..!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
I know it sounds strange .. but the thing is that I have 2 M800's , 1 MPFI and the other is a carbed model . I wanto to know if its possible to tamper with the sensor of the fuel gauge in the meter -- in a manner that the needle drops much slower than actual thus giving it a wrong reading but at the same time can another fuel gauge be fitted somewhere else where its concealed but that should show the actual reading of the amount of fuel in the tank .

So basically two fuel gauges in the car connected to the same fuel sensor but both showing diff readings .. One showing original and the other showing an altered reading .

Is this possible ??? URGENT ...
Old 31st May 2008, 12:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

Can be done since the fuel indicator is based on resistance of the coil and the current that flows through it, making the needle rise/ settle down. But you will need a car meter electrician to do this trick.
Old 31st May 2008, 12:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

I think this should be possible by introducing a mechanical zero-error in the REAL meter and calibrating the hidden one to show the actual fuel level.
On connecting the two meters in parallel, there will immediately be an error introduced. Then, set zero-error on one and calibrate the other to show correct.

But also be prepared for a 'judgement day' phonecall with one of the cars stuck somewhere - out of fuel!
Old 31st May 2008, 12:47   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Boy, this has got to be one of the wackiest requests on Team-BHP. If you want to keep a check on your drivers, best thing is to calculate FE on a full tank to full tank basis.
Old 31st May 2008, 12:54   #10
BHPian

Dont you think that the drivers will catch on that its simply the meter that is wrong and carry on with their merry way? GPS tracker is better, if it is not that expensive
It wont show you the amount that they can manually drain out of your tank though.
Ask your drivers for bills from petrol bunks.
Old 31st May 2008, 13:11   #11
BANNED

Guys! Being what our Khaadu is, he should be knowing what his idea is. He should've already thought of other methods before posting up this here. Let's see if this can be achieved or not.

I think a good electronic meter mechanic would be able to do this job. But where will the second meter kept?
Old 31st May 2008, 15:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
But where will the second meter kept?
If Khaadu be a logical man, he would keep it in the second car of course!

Old 1st June 2008, 01:38   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Boy, this has got to be one of the wackiest requests on Team-BHP. If you want to keep a check on your drivers, best thing is to calculate FE on a full tank to full tank basis.
.. i know , took me a while to think if i should or should not post but then i needed to know if there is a solution and if yes , I would take time and go hunting to find the right guy to do it . Wouldn't wanna go running about in the Delhi heat for nothing .

Quote:
Originally Posted by srijit View Post
Dont you think that the drivers will catch on that its simply the meter that is wrong and carry on with their merry way? GPS tracker is better, if it is not that expensive
It wont show you the amount that they can manually drain out of your tank though.
Ask your drivers for bills from petrol bunks.
Drivers are smart .. but then one can try and be smarter as my 3 cars run a total of 300+ kms a day and with the rising prices of fuel around the corner , every drop will matter .

As for petrol bills .. tell me how many do you need and Ill get them for you . Also as there are 3 difff cars we talking about -- 3 differenet drivers -- the cars keep getting swapped so putting driving habits , etc into play and calculating average is very difficult . And hopefully the figure of 3 cars is gonna go up soon to about 9-10 so just seeing if there is a way of saving meself a lot of money .

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
If Khaadu be a logical man, he would keep it in the second car of course!

If only ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
I think this should be possible by introducing a mechanical zero-error in the REAL meter and calibrating the hidden one to show the actual fuel level.
On connecting the two meters in parallel, there will immediately be an error introduced. Then, set zero-error on one and calibrate the other to show correct.

But also be prepared for a 'judgement day' phonecall with one of the cars stuck somewhere - out of fuel!
im ready to take that chance -- more than anything this will also allow me to see which driver is trustworthy and which one is not !!

So basically what you are saying is that it is possible .. you guys may think its a freaky request but it just may end up saving A LOT in the business . In other words you may refer it to a ' desi jugaad ' . Will explain in detail if it works and does allow me to save money .

Cheers
Old 1st June 2008, 02:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

lock

How about changing the locks so only you have the key to the fuel filler tube?
Old 1st June 2008, 03:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

Buddy just make sure you fill the gas in the cars yourself or get this done by a family member. The driver will, to make money, pilfer at least 5 litres. Less than that where will he sell? I dont think he will manage to sell less than that to anyone.
If your car is getting whacked by 5 litres every tankfull you can definately find out. I doubt they will take the trouble to "fix" your meter, if such a thing can be done, in the way you foresee it fro the simple reason of ecomomics. they will probably get half value for the stolen gas and that would be less than what it might take (i imagine) to "fix" the meter. I doubt any driver will invest so much in a car that he may not have complete access to. Just my thought. I think what they can do is fill less fuel than they get billed for. Thats why I mentioned that the tank should be filled in by only yourself or a family member. In thi sway one can keep a check. If not then start checking your pare wheel, tyre, jack, tommy, tools etc. He will also target these.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks