Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2008, 09:55   #46
BHPian

Hey frens i had one more thing in mind. I was wondering if I can install a mesh like the one between my cars headlights, in the front bumper. I wanna modify the stock bumper and not buy any new one.I can think of 2 ways to do it.
1. Cover the gaps in the bumper with the mesh grill
2. Cut out the plastic strips in the bumper and put one big mesh.

I see the second one looking better than the first, but i wanna know if that will reduce the strength of the bumper as the support sections in the center will be cut off.

@BadBoy: if u have some time to spare, cud you come up with some pics with these suggestions??? will helpfull to see the outcome.
Old 22nd June 2008, 11:48   #47
BHPian

zenster-with so many suggestions pouring was hoping you wouldnt mess it up and really happy to see that you did a wonderful job of modding making it look simple and beautiful, stick on to what you did now, dont overdo,congrats dude
Old 22nd June 2008, 19:45   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Thanks S2. Black Patti will look good, will check its availability soon .
Thanks for answering my questions. I am not a chrome fan but the work looks neat.

I suggest you remove the black paint on those front indicators for safety reasons.

For additional mods, I too would suggest, black side panels on the doors and antenna on the rear portion of the roof. Look out for the antenna on Skoda sedans, Opel Sail, Fabia, and Hyundai Verna. I think the Verna antenna is collapsible so you can still use your car cover. If you go for it, ensure the antenna is properly fixed to avoid roof leakage. If you prefer, go for a subtle, not huge, spoiler also.

In addition, I like those Lancer fog lamps, the tiny circular ones. See if you can decently integrate them into your Zen's front bumpers. Get a professional for this mod. Otherwise, the work would look real disaster. If the fog lamps can be placed with mesh surrounding them, it would look awesome.

I was wondering if the existing Zen wrap-around fog lamps could be converted into indicators by using orange bulbs. You may then remove the default orange bumper indicators and cover the indicator slots with mesh and have the Lancer fog lamps placed in the center of the mesh area. Not sure how practical this mod is. See if someone could render the mod in Photoshop before actually going for it. You may also want to understand the bumper structure in advance. I believe, that's enough cosmetic work. You can then move on to performance upgrades and interior design.
Old 22nd June 2008, 20:45   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
@BadBoy: cud you come up with some pics with these suggestions??? will helpfull to see the outcome.
time is all that i have. please post a pic of the front view of your ride(existing pic wont do good). make sure you click the pic from a low level.
Old 22nd June 2008, 22:11   #50
BHPian

I recently got 13 inch, 5 spoke, gun metal finish, hijoin alloys for my Zen. Here are the pictures:

Name:  Missions Zen 1.jpg
Views: 22611
Size:  81.1 KB

The Zen Modifications Thread-missions-zen-2.jpg

By looking at the grill, could you please tell me whether it is a type 1 or type 2 grill? My exterior mod wishlist includes mat black pillars, black side panels, tail antenna, grill replacement, subtle spoiler, and fog lamps. Then I shall move to engine and interior design. By the way, I have got Sony HU with USB port and it has been reliable so far.
Old 23rd June 2008, 02:19   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionAbler View Post
I recently got 13 inch, 5 spoke, gun metal finish, hijoin alloys for my Zen. Here are the pictures:
By looking at the grill, could you please tell me whether it is a type 1 or type 2 grill? My exterior mod wishlist includes mat black pillars, black side panels, tail antenna, grill replacement, subtle spoiler and fog lamps. Then I shall move to engine and interior design. By the way, I have got Sony HU with USB port and it has been reliable so far.
First thing, neat car! I have a similar looking zen, not sure about the type 1 or 2 grill.

the antenna and spoiler dont go well together. Pick one. In fact, even am on a lookout for a spoiler which would go well with a tiny hatchback like zen.

@mods, this thread is turning out to be very useful for many zen owners. Why not make this an "official zen modification" thread since there isnt one around?
Old 23rd June 2008, 03:21   #52

Take care of those chrome lip things on your wheel. They become loose easily. Now Paint your hood black. Zenster, take cars of her!! She looks gorgeous.
Old 23rd June 2008, 04:53   #53
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 23057

Attachment 23058

By looking at the grill, could you please tell me whether it is a type 1 or type 2 grill? My exterior mod wishlist includes mat black pillars, black side panels, tail antenna, grill replacement, subtle spoiler, and fog lamps. Then I shall move to engine and interior design. By the way, I have got Sony HU with USB port and it has been reliable so far.
Neat car and alloys there.

I don't know about this type 1 , type 2 thingy.

But the folowing were types of grills that came on the Zen

1993-1997 (or before the ZEN was categorised into LX, VX)- Simple grill
with a plastic strip in the middle.

All ZEN carb models 98' onwards(LX, VX)-Two part grill with voids on either side of the Suzuki logo( body colored in LX ,VX and black colured in Diesel model). This is the grill you have although your signature mentions LX, but you have black grill so in all probability your grill was changed later.

ZEN MPFI(Euro 1, Euro 2 pre-facelift) models-Mesh type grill with S logo

Zen post ugly facelift-Again grill with plastic strip in the middle like the first gen but much larger.

IMHO you should either get your orignal grill repainted along with your bumper in the colour of your car's body.
OR
Get a mesh type grill and get it chromed. Look up Hellspawn's gallery to see how this looks.

Black pillars would look good and shouldn't cost you more than Rs 300 if you get a stickering job done instead of paint.

Spoiler - Even subtle ones don't look that good. Don't do this.

Sony HU- It's good that it has been relaible so far but head over to the ICE section to acquaint yourself about better things than S.O.N.Y(Simply Old n' Yuck ).

P.S.- I will advise you to place more emphasis on engine and ICE upgrades first beacuse these are things you experience on a daily basis when inside the car driving it. Exterior mods are something that make you feel good for a month or so but then their charm starts dimnishing.

Last edited by revvedup : 23rd June 2008 at 04:58.
Old 23rd June 2008, 13:47   #54
BHPian

@Zenster

Nice that you have decided to work on your car. there is a lot that can be done.

for smoking the tail lights paying 2000 rupees is way too much. all you need to do is get a mixture of 4 parts of clear in with 1 part of black paint and spray it on the parts you need. please do detach the tail light assembly from the car before you do so.

if budget permits please try and stay away from a sony headunit. it works like a charm over the first year or so and gradually starts messing up. moreover the output is real shabby. regarding ICE scenarios you have some really nice budget options now. with Bull Audio coming out with very reasonable components for about 4500 bucks this is a really neat option. if you can be patient and save up some more money for a better headunit do so. else try and get some good second hand head units.

Avoid painting things like your bonnet etc etc. if you want a different look just make use of black pvc stickers which are a much cheaper and reversable option. like it has been suggested above go for things inside like ICE and comfy seats which could be more significant for use than cosmetic mods. the rest you can get to doing by and by.
Old 23rd June 2008, 15:44   #55
BHPian

Hello this is a small pshop mod i did to my zen and intend to do it really "one day" haha
hope this helps you in anyway....
Attached Thumbnails
The Zen Modifications Thread-untitled1.jpg  

Old 23rd June 2008, 19:24   #56
BHPian

Here are some pics of my car. ( sorry the pics are not of good quality and were taken after a small drizzle ).

The Zen Modifications Thread-my-car-1.jpg

The Zen Modifications Thread-my-car-2.jpg
Old 23rd June 2008, 22:41   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by furioussphinx View Post
First thing, neat car! I have a similar looking zen, not sure about the type 1 or 2 grill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by revvedup View Post
Neat car and alloys there.

I don't know about this type 1 , type 2 thingy.
Thanks for your inputs sphinx and rev. I will sure consider them. Compliments go to my car cleaner Narain and of course the monthly scrub, shower, polish, and greasing at the nearby service station. I need to budget for engine work so that will happen gradually. I did a complete overhaul of my Zen about six months ago. The grill was replaced then. I am not happy with the paint job though. No body colored bumpers for me in Delhi's mad traffic. I am fine with the blacks.

Check these pictures for the spoiler and tail antenna set up that I am envisioning for Zens:

The Zen Modifications Thread-spoiler-1.jpg

The Zen Modifications Thread-spoiler-2.jpg

The Zen Modifications Thread-spoiler-3.jpg

The Zen Modifications Thread-spoiler-4.jpg

The Zen Modifications Thread-spoiler-5.jpg

The Zen Modifications Thread-spoiler-6.jpg

I like Trivo and Carbon X. I race the VDub Golf because that's the only car that comes closest to Zen in NFS Underground. Zenster's Zen is looking good and so is NOS and tidzter's ride. We definitely need a dedicated Zen thread.
Old 24th June 2008, 15:09   #58
BHPian

Quote:

I like Trivo and Carbon X. I race the VDub Golf because that's the only car that comes closest to Zen in NFS Underground. Zenster's Zen is looking good and so is NOS and tidzter's ride. We definitely need a dedicated Zen thread.

why not make this thread dedicated to ZEN .. ?

My contribution :-)
Attached Thumbnails
The Zen Modifications Thread-dsc00958.jpg  

The Zen Modifications Thread-dsc00959.jpg  

Old 24th June 2008, 16:36   #59
BHPian

The Zen undoubtedly is the best car to ever come from the Maruti stable. Barring the cramped space in the rear seats the car is picture perfect for Indian conditions. A month back I was contemplating of replacing it with an Indigo CS but now have decided against it & am going to keep the Zen. Maybe even forever, till it make it into the Classics.
Old 24th June 2008, 17:24   #60
BHPian

Hey Frens,
When i started this thread, it was a very selfish attempt to get some advise on basic mods on my Car. I didn't, for a moment think that this could turn out to be such a helpful thread for all us Zen owners. And I thanks each and everyone of you for the support and suggestions. I am glad that with your help on the topic not just me but many other got idea to make their priced possession look and feel even better.

@Mods thanks for renaming the thread to "The Zen Modifications Thread", the earlier one sounded very selfish.

Guys thanks your pics as well. Your cars look great and i love to see people keeping their rides in this good shape.

All the best and as always keep all your suggestions,comments, feedback and pics commin.

Thanks again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks