Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2012, 00:09   #886
BHPian

Re: The Zen Modifications Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
May anyone confirm will R13 165/65 Scrap on Zen on a 5j rim with 29mm Offset, 104mm Backspacing .
Or 165/60 .Also will any handling issues arise at high speeds.

Alloy is from NEO as no one else if offering 5J.
You can check post #862 in the previous post i had 175/60/13 with no spacers on my 06 zen and i only had to tap the back arch edges a little, i had no scraping issues. I had 5.5J rim, Handling at high speed was good braking did improve a little. The offset i am not a 100% sure on that as to what was mine set to(the car is sold now so cant check).
Old 1st May 2012, 15:00   #887
BHPian

I have a question.

Is it possible for the zen to have the new K series/DDiS engines from the swift platform swapped ? With the new ones well engineered, I have a strong feeling it will go very well with the zen .

Thoughts ?
Old 2nd May 2012, 16:56   #888
Senior - BHPian

Hi all,

any one has changed the manual steering to power steering in zen? any idea how much it costs to change manual steering to power steering. Can i fit the Power steering from 2nd generation Zen to the Old zen (carb)?
Old 2nd May 2012, 22:21   #889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
Hi all,

any one has changed the manual steering to power steering in zen? any idea how much it costs to change manual steering to power steering. Can i fit the Power steering from 2nd generation Zen to the Old zen (carb)?
Last when I had called Vitesse around 2-3 months ago for adding a power steering in my 800 they quoted ~35K for the whole job with a one year warranty. I found the price too steep and hence decided against the idea. However, people on the forum did suggest me to get a used power steering unit from another Maruti (Alto) in my case and get it retro-fitted from a local repair shop and that would cost anything between 8-15k, though I did not want to risk it and hence dropped the plan.
Old 4th May 2012, 22:10   #890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
Hi all,

Cost [if done @MASS] should be around 35k. Personally however, I would not recommend ANY steering mods owing to potential risk of failure and accidents caused as a result. Not to mention compatibility related problems which could mean recurring expenses in the future.
Old 21st May 2012, 11:16   #891
BHPian

Hey Anand,

Any significant diffirence after fitting the K&N stock filter ?. How good is it for a Carb Zen ?
Old 21st May 2012, 12:05   #892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazzy Boy View Post
Hey Anand,

Any significant diffirence after fitting the K&N stock filter ?. How good is it for a Carb Zen ?
Oh yes, there is ! The Zen makes a better sound now and boy I love that ! When it comes to performance, I do not see any difference at low revs but it feels better at higher revs. It does not struggle as it used to in the past.

My driving style changed since I got addicted to the sound and hence mileage dropped by 1-2kmpl. some of the drop can also be attributed to 100% usage of the AC in the summer. Once I make a long trip, i can surely confirm the difference in mileage. But technically the mileage should improve marginally.

Video of the K&N in my car. you can notice the difference in sound. Sorry for the poor quality.

Old 21st May 2012, 12:16   #893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_lukose View Post
Oh yes, there is ! The Zen makes a better sound now and boy I love that ! When it comes to performance, I do not see any difference at low revs but it feels better at higher revs. It does not struggle as it used to in the past.

My driving style changed since I got addicted to the sound and hence mileage dropped by 1-2kmpl. some of the drop can also be attributed to 100% usage of the AC in the summer. Once I make a long trip, i can surely confirm the difference in mileage. But technically the mileage should improve marginally.

Video of the K&N in my car. you can notice the difference in sound. Sorry for the poor quality.

Zen 2003 MPFI with K&N Stock Filter.mp4 - YouTube
Thats awesome......

But my question still stands "How much difference does it make in a carb Zen".

Since yours is a MPFI its does make a difference.
Old 21st May 2012, 23:07   #894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazzy Boy View Post
But my question still stands "How much difference does it make in a carb Zen".
Unfortunately, I do not know anyone with a Zen Carb K&N setup. But there should be some difference at higher revs for sure. One of my friends made a similar K&N stock replacement filter for his City VTech but found no difference. He is a sedate driver and hasnt really tested the limits.
Old 22nd May 2012, 17:06   #895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_lukose View Post

The note sounds good. But quite a risky video, that! As far as carb zens go, who needs K&N??
Old 28th May 2012, 11:17   #896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen2001 View Post
The note sounds good. But quite a risky video, that! As far as carb zens go, who needs K&N??
I apologize for the risky video. It was on a Sunday and 90% of the road I shot is a private and a one way road ( Novotel exit road in Hyderabad ). I go full blast only under that short tunnel ! This was shot on the first morning after the K&N job and hence couldnt resist ! ( Yeah right ! What an excuse ! )

Have been driving very sedately and hence waiting for the next fuel efficiency numbers. I have been mostly travelling in the city with 100% AC and with 3-4 passengers. Estimates are around 12-13. Shall update soon !
Old 26th July 2012, 16:27   #897
BHPian

hi guys

as I said in a forum some where at tbhp, I finally got hold of this Black moded zen. Its owned by a guy who is into car lightning business (projectors for cars,bikes and all).

This shining black zen has a VIP registration number, negative offset alloys, 185/60/13 tires, tinted glasses (not any more, thanks to Delhi Police), leather seat covers, sports steering, gear knob, pedals, Projector head lights and projectors in fog + HIDs in both lights.

Found its pics on web, some pics are water marked (i couldnt remove the watermark) so mods can remove the pics if it is not allowed in here..

It sure is a head turner (my head always turned)
Attached Thumbnails
The Zen Modifications Thread-hid-kit-zen-all.jpg  

The Zen Modifications Thread-projector-lamps-maruti-zen-2.jpg  

The Zen Modifications Thread-zen-projector-lamps-angel-eyes-multi-color-remote-system.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by nick17s : 26th July 2012 at 16:30.
Old 19th September 2012, 21:54   #898
BHPian

I have a question that has been in my head for some time.

Almost all of us love the concept of the G13b-G16b swaps into the zen. As the years progress and we have seen newer engines coming along, I was wondering if K-Series engines can be swapped on the zen.

Thoughts ?
Old 19th September 2012, 22:14   #899
BHPian

Don't know if this has been discussed here already, but talking about a K&N in a carb zen, wouldn't the fuel setting in the carb have to be altered here to maintain the appropriate air-fuel ratio? Otherwise, the engine could be running too lean.

Pardon my limited knowledge, I don't know very well how the carb works. What I know is, in a bike if an aftermarket filter is installed, the carb needs to be opened up, and the fuel jet size needs to be changed (upsized). Often it is more of a trial and error method, until the spark plugs read just right.

Is it something similar in a car as well?
Old 19th September 2012, 22:36   #900
BHPian

Ah! My 2002 MPFI Zen got its first clutch replacement at 1,44,752 km.
Though my wife drives it now since I got ANHC last year but I still love the little old zen over the speed boat Honda.

Most Viewed