Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2014, 19:47   #991
BHPian

Re: The Zen Modifications Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipinshetty View Post
My zen MPFI has suddenly developed an intermediate problem in cold weather after running a km or 2 the rpm suddenly increases like the accelerator is depressed fully without an increase in speed.

Since it is intermediate I am not able to replicate I showed it to suraksha bomanahalli They said they have to change the clutch for which they gave a estimate of 9K Last time i changed it was around 5 years bak and it was just 3.5k

I agree the time may have come for the clutch to be changed but i was surprised at the price quoted for changing the clutch. on the board the price is given as 1033rs they said they have to change the flywheel pressure plate etc which all adds up to 9k Is this right ?

Something does not sound right to me.
I too had a similar problem of the RPM going high for no reason; it used to happen even when i am at a complete stop at signals and my foot was off the pedal. Along with that, sometimes i reduce speed at speed breakers, the engine used to turn off, as if choked.

Both the issues were sorted out by cleaning the throttle body. You may give it a try if clutch is not the culprit.

And yes, i too feel 9k is bit on the higher side, even if you change all the parts mentioned.
Old 9th July 2014, 19:47   #992
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My zen MPFI has suddenly developed an intermediate problem in cold weather after running a km or 2 the rpm suddenly increases like the accelerator is depressed fully without an increase in speed.

Since it is intermediate I am not able to replicate I showed it to suraksha bomanahalli They said they have to change the clutch for which they gave a estimate of 9K Last time i changed it was around 5 years bak and it was just 3.5k

I agree the time may have come for the clutch to be changed but i was surprised at the price quoted for changing the clutch. on the board the price is given as 1033rs they said they have to change the flywheel pressure plate etc which all adds up to 9k Is this right ?

Did you try checking at some other MASS?

Sent from my mobile phone , please excuse typos
Old 9th July 2014, 20:16   #993

Sathya I have not checked with any other MASS. The rising of rpm i did suspect maybe the clutch problem even before going to Suraksha but it is intermediate which make me doubt it is a clutch problem. I am just wondering what the cost of the clutch overhaul is.

I used to service before with RNS and then I noticed that while they do a good job on whatever they do. They dont go the extra mile to get spare parts for zen if they dont have it they just write spare-parts not available and return the vehicle after a nice wash.
Old 10th July 2014, 00:22   #994
BANNED

The clutch replacement cost given to you by MASS is correct . It also entails change of clutch bearing which is a SGP part and is rather expensive .
Old 13th July 2014, 11:26   #995
BHPian

Quote:
Prima facie, it does sugggest a clutch issue. However does this happen even when idling? What gear & speed would you be in when this issue is noted?
Old 15th July 2014, 20:21   #996

Replaced the clutch and the problem appears to be solved bill 11500 included 2 rear shock absorbers
Old 17th July 2014, 13:14   #997
BHPian

Dear all,
I have a 2002 zen which recently had its rear bumper torn apart,I would like to fi the bumper of 2004 zen,the one which comes with two additional brake lights.

any photoshop experts who can do the cut paste job n a white zen so that i can see how it looks...as once i buy i cannot return the item.

Hoping someone would help out on this.

awaiting eagerly.
Old 17th July 2014, 15:24   #998
Senior - BHPian

My Zen's restoration has now cross 90 days (I was promised I would get it in 20 days back in April. )

But hopefully I should get the car back in 10 days from now.

I was informed that the door panel support clip are broken and they are not available separately. I need to go for entirely new (or used) panels for all four doors.

The picture shows how the metal part below the actual pink clip, looks like.
The other picture highlights some missing clips. There are more missing, but that is not covered in the photo.

The Zen Modifications Thread-img_20140716_113151610_hdr.jpg
The Zen Modifications Thread-img_20140716_113243580_hdr.jpg

Looking at MGA part numbers, I came across these
83704M53E11-T01 S TRIM COMP,RAER DOOR,LH(LX) 1749.28
83706M53E12-FY1 S TRIM,REAR DOOR,LH(VX) 1993.50

Not sure what is the difference between TRIM, REAR DOOR and TRIM COMP, REAR DOOR.

Last edited by S_U_N : 17th July 2014 at 15:49.
Old 17th July 2014, 15:43   #999
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I was informed that the door panel support clip are broken and they are not available separately. I need to go for entirely new (or used) panels for all four doors.
Try to salvage pads of written off cars. In case you get the clips, they can be stuck on existing pads too. If you get the pad itself, still better.
If you want some make shift arrangement, then use a screw instead. But that will slightly compromise aesthetics, depending on the visibility & location of the screw on the pads. Please post some pictures of the restoration process.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 16:04   #1000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Try to salvage pads of written off cars. In case you get the clips, they can be stuck on existing pads too. If you get the pad itself, still better.
If you want some make shift arrangement, then use a screw instead. But that will slightly compromise aesthetics, depending on the visibility & location of the screw on the pads. Please post some pictures of the restoration process.
The option of screws is there, but the workshop guy said they will spoil the looks and without that, there will be rattles.
He is right on both fronts and I have asked him to look for some scrap dealer where he can find those full panels in good condition.
So, probably he will get those fixed as is temporarily and then I might have to get the new/ used panels sometime in the near future.
What do you mean by 'pads' in this context?
The inner door trim is a gray rexin material and although it is intact with a few scratches, I might consider replacing it to some other color/ material to match interiors and complement exteriors.

I don't have any newer pictures since there has not been much changed from the last time I posted - in terms of visible details. Under the hood, everything is put together now, except the wiper linkage which did not fit (part mismatch).

I am also looking for used alloy wheels.

Last edited by S_U_N : 17th July 2014 at 16:06.
Old 17th July 2014, 16:10   #1001
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
The option of screws is there, but the workshop guy said they will spoil the looks and without that, there will be rattles....
What do you mean by 'pads' in this context?
The outer door trim is a gray rexin material and although it is intact with a few scratches, I might consider replacing it to some other color/ material to match interiors and complement exteriors.
Yes, as I said before, using screws may not be aesthetically pleasing. Just a small suggestion, if you are not changing the colour of the dashboard, and assuming that they are grey in colour, then door pads of any other colour may not gel well with the interiors. However, that is subjective and of course, confined to my limited imagination.
By pads, I meant door pads. Sorry for the confusion.

Good luck for the restoration. Try to get those rear seat belts incorporated.
Old 17th July 2014, 17:02   #1002
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Yes, as I said before, using screws may not be aesthetically pleasing. Just a small suggestion, if you are not changing the colour of the dashboard, and assuming that they are grey in colour, then door pads of any other colour may not gel well with the interiors. However, that is subjective and of course, confined to my limited imagination.
By pads, I meant door pads. Sorry for the confusion.

Good luck for the restoration. Try to get those rear seat belts incorporated.
The dashboard is black -actually faded out a bit. I am going to see what I can use to bring life back into it.
Probably I need to find some guy who can do some interior mods for me. There are not many places to keep cell phones, bottles etc. And I need that.

The rear seat belts that I got are the same as the front ones - so they are not exactly like yours.
Some modifications will be needed for the roller/ box to be bolted in the boot area. I am waiting to see the results.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 11:31   #1003
BHPian

The said clips for door panel are easily available at any MASS parts seller,you need to look around.I have myself bought many of them over the counter some months back to replace on my door panels.

Please look for the same.
If you dont get them let me know i shall source the same and courier the same to you.

P.S this is only to help a fellow team bhp member and not for any commercial gains.
scorpian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 14:53   #1004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
The said clips for door panel are easily available at any MASS parts seller,you need to look around.I have myself bought many of them over the counter some months back to replace on my door panels.

Please look for the same.
If you dont get them let me know i shall source the same and courier the same to you.

P.S this is only to help a fellow team bhp member and not for any commercial gains.
Hi Scorpian,
The 'clips' that I need are the metal 'spacers' on which the actual plastic clips are seated.
Do you know if those metal plates/ 'spacers' are available? Each one of them is of a different height.
Old 29th July 2014, 18:32   #1005
Senior - BHPian

There have been numerous threads about alloy wheels and tire sizes for Zen, but most of them are very old.
So, perhaps I should bring up the topic in this post itself.
Since the car restoration is almost at the end, I have to make a decision to go for some alloys (used/ second hand) and tubeless tyres.

My Zen is a 1996 carb model, so I assume I have 13 inch rims, but not sure (car is at the workshop at the moment).

Is there some combination of tyres + wheel size that can make the steering a little lighter at parking speeds?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks