Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2018, 01:11   #1051
BHPian

Re: The Zen Modifications Thread

The list of modifications that I have done on my ZEN is very little by team-bhp standard. These are the few modification I could do with my student budget.

Wiper Nozzle Upgrade

The ZEN has two wiper nozzles, each having a single spray. This was not sufficient to properly clean the windscreen. The wiper nozzle of the old Swift spray two jets of water per nozzle & is a direct fit in the ZEN (& M800). The new swift has 3 spray per nozzle & it is also a direct fit.

Swift wiper nozzle

The Zen Modifications Thread-wiper-nozzle.jpg

Part number - 38480M75J00
Price - Rs 51

Console Box

ZEN has no/negligible storage space on the inside, even the likes of M800, Omni are better w.r.t storage space & I am someone who likes to drive without carrying anything on my trouser's pocket (mostly mobiles & wallet). The console box from the old Alto has some storage areas in it & is also a direct fit in the ZEN.

P.S - The console box which came in the face lifted ZEN (03-06) also had some storage space but that part is discontinued.

Alto console box. Somehow I ended up with one from some limited edition alto (brown color console box against the normal grey color)

The Zen Modifications Thread-console-box.jpg

Part number - 75811M79G00-B02
Price - Rs 247

Gear Knob

I have always liked the golf ball inspired gear knob from the face lifted ZEN, Esteem, old WagonR. So I have fitted the gear knob from the old WagonR & this is also a direct fit.

Old WagonR gear knob

The Zen Modifications Thread-gearknob.jpg

Part number - 28113M72F50
Price - Rs 123

Grab Handle

I have always liked the spring loaded grab handles but ZEN were only fitted with fixed grab handles. So I have fitted the spring loaded grab handles from new WagonR, Astar. But the new spring loaded grab handles were not a direct fit, there were lots of cutting, filing that had to be done.

The new grab handles.

The Zen Modifications Thread-grab-handle-1.jpg

The Zen Modifications Thread-grab-handle-2.jpg

Part number - 76410M67L00-6GS
Price - Rs 73

Last edited by chiranjitp : 5th January 2018 at 01:23.
chiranjitp is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th January 2018, 15:01   #1052
BHPian

Chrome Exhaust Tip from Zen Carbon

I always liked the look of an extended exhaust tip. The part I have fitted is from the Zen carbon, apparently it also came as OE in some limited edition Zen Estilo. I would like to thank Leoshashi, he not only provided me the part number but also made me aware that such a part even existed.

The Zen Modifications Thread-exhaust-tip-1.jpg

The Zen Modifications Thread-exhaust-tip-2.jpg

The Zen Modifications Thread-part-number-exhuast.jpg

Part number - 14450M72F10
Price - Rs. 649

The part is long discontinued, luckily for me there was some old stock available in Bongaigaon, Assam.
chiranjitp is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th January 2018, 15:13   #1053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiranjitp View Post
Chrome Exhaust Tip from Zen Carbon

Part number - 14450M72F10
Price - Rs. 649

The part is long discontinued, luckily for me there was some old stock available in Bongaigaon, Assam.
Excellent. I just enquired for the same using the part number mentioned by you. Alas, no luck.

Also, they refused to place an order for the same and did not give me any reason why.

Quote:
Console Box
Part number - 75811M79G00-B02
Price - Rs 247
The Console box is from the Alto x Fun edition. I have the same fitted in my car.

As greenhorn has mentioned below, get the rubber boot from the Alto, and it will be a flush fit with the console and gear knob.

Regards,
Anoop

Last edited by anoop.u : 17th January 2018 at 15:31. Reason: Added Quote
anoop.u is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2018, 15:24   #1054
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[b]Console Box
Perhaps you should fit the Boot from the alto for the gear lever, as the current boot does not seem to be a direct fit onto the console?
greenhorn is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2018, 18:40   #1055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop.u View Post
Excellent. I just enquired for the same using the part number mentioned by you. Alas, no luck.

Also, they refused to place an order for the same and did not give me any reason why.
As I have already said the part is discontinued. Even the part was not available in the MGP store I visited, then I asked the manager to do a live stock search using the part number. Luckily for me there was some old stock available in a different city, my relative there bought the part & shipped it to Guwahati.

So I would advice you to make one more visit to the MGP store (preferably in non peak hours) & ask him to do a live stock search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop.u View Post
The Console box is from the Alto x Fun edition. I have the same fitted in my car.

As greenhorn has mentioned below, get the rubber boot from the Alto, and it will be a flush fit with the console and gear knob.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Perhaps you should fit the Boot from the alto for the gear lever, as the current boot does not seem to be a direct fit onto the console?
The current gear lever boot is not fixed properly onto the console. The ZEN's gear lever boot can be fixed on the Alto's console box, but then the shifting becomes a bit notchy (specially second & forth gear). This is most likely due to a slightly different location of the Alto gear knob w.r.t the clamp where the console is fitted.

Anyways, I have a non MGP Alto gear lever boot at home. I will try to fit it tomorrow, if it fits perfectly then I will surely place an order for the Alto gear lever boot.

Thanks annop.u for pointing out the Alto model for which the console box was originally meant for. After a good look on OLX I could spot a few Alto XFun & Alto Xcite having this brown colored console box.

Last edited by aah78 : 17th January 2018 at 20:30. Reason: Typo fixed on request.
Old 20th January 2018, 14:08   #1056
BHPian

Quote:
... So I would advice you to make one more visit to the MGP store (preferably in non peak hours) & ask him to do a live stock search.
Quick update. I visited my MGP today and luckily I was the only customer there. As informed by them earlier, they did not have the part in stock, but they did manage to locate it for me at two different locations, in two different cities :
  • The first one is a MGP store, but 140kms away (Cochin -> Kollam).
  • The second one is a MASS 60 kms away (Cochin -> Kottayam), so they wont sell it over the counter, not unless I get some work done from them first (an oil change perhaps).
Let's see how it goes.
anoop.u is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 19:02   #1057
BANNED

Quote:
ZEN Gear Knob
Hi Chiran,

Congrats on the G Series Swift!

I have a quick question, how did you remove the gear knob?

Is it a twist and lock type or a simple pull-out type?

Got the Alto console and lever boot, intending to install shortly.
Old 16th November 2018, 19:10   #1058
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Hi Chiran,

If I may reply on behalf of Chiranjit, the gear knob on Zen is screw type.

Regards
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 19:55   #1059
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
If I may reply on behalf of Chiranjit, the gear knob on Zen is screw type.

Regards
Shashi
Oh Dear Shashi, what would we ever do without you.

Thank you for the super swift response, I'd be going for the install now and go for a night drive to see if all is in check.

I know the knob and console has nothing to do with how the car runs but I'd any reason to ride would do.
ashwinprakas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 20:17   #1060
Senior - BHPian

Apologies for this slightly off topic query:

Are spares and other parts of the Zen easily available, either with MASS or MGP or with open market?
Old 16th November 2018, 21:55   #1061
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Apologies for this slightly off topic query:

Are spares and other parts of the Zen easily available, either with MASS or MGP or with open market?
Most of the parts are still available. Or let me put it this way. For the Jellybean Zen which came till 2003, 90% of the parts are still available. But the facelift which came from 2003 to 2006, many parts have been closed. Mainly due to lesser cars in market too.

For engine and other mechanical bits, due to the heavy parts sharing between G series powered cars and other Marutis, they are still easily available.

All this availability related info is WRT MGP spares. I don't know much about aftermarket availability.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 22:54   #1062
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for your wishes. Hopefully the Swift will live up to the high standards that my outgoing Zen set, my Zen was as good as an used car can get. The Swift is of course a bigger & better car, still the Zen was a fun to drive car in its own way. But as they say, only thing constant in life is change.

Luckily a good friend of my owns a 03 Zen lx (first owner & 150k km on the odometer) & one of my uncle owns a 02 Zen lx (65k km on the odometer). I get to regularly drive my friend's car, last drive in that car was only a few hours back . So, in short I will be still around a Zen.

Quote:

Leoshashi has already explained about the locking mechanism of the gear knob. What I did was, push down on the knob, and turn it anti-clockwise. After that the gear knob would come loose. While fitting the knob back, I kept on turning the knob clockwise until it fit properly.

As for the Alto console box, I used the Zen OE lever boot as with the Alto lever boot, shifting to 2nd & 4th gear were getting a bit hard. This is most likely due to a slightly different location of the Alto gear knob w.r.t the clamp where the console is fitted.

One more thing to note is that the rear portion of the Alto console box kind of keeps hanging in the air (gap of a few millimeters). So while shifting gears (especially 2nd & 4th), the console box kept hitting the floor making an annoying sound. What I did was buy two 5 rupees Non Dust Eraser & place it under the rear portion of the console box (with glue). It acted as a cushion, so that the console box doesn't move around. If I had the car, I could have explained it better with photos. BTW, after you fit these two things, I am expecting photos in this thread.

Here is a photo of the kind of Eraser I used:
The Zen Modifications Thread-dusteraser500x500.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Yup, almost all common/running parts are easily available in MASS or MGP store. As for a few rare things, you might need to place an order or search around. Last year, my friend needed a new exhaust system for his 03 Zen lx, he placed an order with a MGP store and the part came within a month. Of course Zen was discontinued a long time back, maybe in the future parts will become discontinued/unavailable.

Last edited by chiranjitp : 16th November 2018 at 23:00.
chiranjitp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th November 2018, 08:31   #1063
BANNED

Quote:
Thank you for your wishes. Hopefully the Swift will live up to the high standards that my outgoing Zen set, my Zen was as good as an used car can get. The Swift is of course a bigger & better car, still the Zen was a fun to drive car in its own way. But as they say, only thing constant in life is change.
Oh! Had no clue you were parting with the Zen, my assumption was that you were on a collection spree collecting all cars with G series motors.

Quote:
Leoshashi has already explained about the locking mechanism of the gear knob. What I did was, push down on the knob, and turn it anti-clockwise. After that the gear knob would come loose. While fitting the knob back, I kept on turning the knob clockwise until it fit properly.
Removing the knob was hard, so had to use a monkey wrench, but re-inserting was a piece of cake.

Quote:
As for the Alto console box, I used the Zen OE lever boot as with the Alto lever boot, shifting to 2nd & 4th gear were getting a bit hard. This is most likely due to a slightly different location of the Alto gear knob w.r.t the clamp where the console is fitted.
No such issues in mine, it is more or less a snug fit. Might be because mines a Type 3 Zen.

Quote:
One more thing to note is that the rear portion of the Alto console box kind of keeps hanging in the air (gap of a few millimeters). So while shifting gears (especially 2nd & 4th), the console box kept hitting the floor making an annoying sound. What I did was buy two 5 rupees Non Dust Eraser & place it under the rear portion of the console box (with glue). It acted as a cushion, so that the console box doesn't move around. If I had the car, I could have explained it better with photos. BTW, after you fit these two things, I am expecting photos in this thread.
The only gap in mine is the visual gap where the handbrake console of the Alto would go in, other than that everything is super snug with no movement whatsoever.

In the future I hope to align and drill holes and insert longer screws so that the two mount points at the rear of the console can be put to use. I have OCD as far as unused mount points go.

Here's a snap of the console taken Yesterday night;

The Zen Modifications Thread-console.jpg

Having a look at the photo I just realized that the previous owner had carpeted the floor, which might be the reason that its a snug fit in mine, not sure though.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 17th November 2018 at 08:32.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 15:41   #1064
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Do NOT post the same message in multiple threads

Last edited by GTO : 21st February 2020 at 17:50.
Zen2001 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 22nd June 2020, 01:45   #1065
BHPian

My Speedo DIY. Sport mode all the way
Attached Thumbnails
The Zen Modifications Thread-img_20200614_200113.jpg  

Zen2001 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed