Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2008, 11:20   #1
BHPian

The Zen Modifications Thread

Hello Friends,
I am new to TeamBHP and I am here as recently bought my first car, a used Maruti Zen LX 2001 Rivera Red. I'm based in Bangalore originally from mumbai. Hence found a good Deal in mumbai itself.

Anyway back to the topic, since its my first car and fairly old model i need to Spice it up a little bit.

I need all suggestion for possible. I am looking to make somthing similar to HellSpawns Lil Pocket Rocket....I really like the subtle mods he has done.

Out of all that he has done, in the initial phase i am looking to add a new/used HU which has atleast MP3 and USB capabilities (Speakers I already have Pioneers 6x9 Rear and Xplod 4" Front + Tweeters). Any brand would do, B&W not important grey would work just as well.

I need to put Seat Covers and Cushions. A new gear knob and steering cover.

Alloy wheels after sometime (need to save some cash for it). Some simple external mods like mesh grill some graphics etc.

I want all advise on these changes and more. I want color combo suggestion for the color of my car like what interiors to go for, what graphics etc.

I am posting a new thread as this help I require needs to be customized for my car (color,make etc)...Also where to get it done a good price in Bangalore...My budget is not great but since the project is long term (2-3 months) i can arrange for cash . Pics are attached for more review.

All Suggestions are Welcome...Thank you...
Attached Thumbnails
The Zen Modifications Thread-04052008003.jpg  

The Zen Modifications Thread-04052008005.jpg  

Old 2nd June 2008, 15:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

Here are some of the basic suggestions that I can give to improve the look of the car at a minimal cost:
  • Change the front grill to the ones available for 2001 Zen VXi one. I guess its the Mesh type grill and improves the over all look of the car
  • Get the wheel caps from the 2004 model Zen/Alto. They cost about 1250 for a set of 4.
  • From the pictures I cannot see the tire tread clearly but its time to change those if your car has run more than 35,000 KMS. Go in for bridgestone Turanza 145/80 R12 or Michelin XM1/XM1+
These are some of the simple but classy mods that I could think of.
amtak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2008, 15:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Xplod 4" Front + Tweeters....
Junk them and get some decent 5/6" components , then get the HU
Old 2nd June 2008, 17:27   #4
BHPian

Hey Guys, thanks for your suggestions,
Amtac: Nice tips pal. I am working on getting a custom grill fitted in the body colored lip in the front and throw in Swift or SX4 style Suzuki logo. Wheels will come soon, they were changed by prev owner and can go atleast 8-10k i recon.And since i plan to put Alloys sooner than later, i can live without the wheel caps for sometime.
Greenhorn: I knew someone will come up with it sooner or later. But this was also the fitment the car came with from prev owner. I will change them mate but first i need a HU. Again, the one that came in the car is a cassette player with FM. Cassettes I can find in stores and dont wish to carry then in the car either and Fm here in bangalore, well lets just say i'm still learning the local languages and dont understand the songs played in the FM channels.

Also i was just chatting to my local service station fellow and he mentioned something about painting the wheels in matt black and then put chrome ring and hib t give it a fake alloy effect. I know i haven't seen it ever and am not keen on that idea....What do you guys suggest...

Anyway, once again guys, thanks a million to get the replies started. The thread is still open and more suggestions are always welcome.
Old 2nd June 2008, 17:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

you should be able to get a new HU + front components for <10k , and either of them for approximately half of that
Old 2nd June 2008, 18:21   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
you should be able to get a new HU + front components for <10k , and either of them for approximately half of that
You mean I can get a HU for 5-6k with mp3 and usb.... can you suggest some models mate.....

Hey, Hellspawn and Hazi, any help on this project buddies....
Old 2nd June 2008, 22:02   #7
BHPian

@Zenster Congrats on getting your car & thanks for starting a thread.

i own a 98 carb zen. actually have bought it a week back and have sent it straight to the garage for work. first coat of paint done today. eagerly waiting for the finished car to come. will post pics after that.

if you do want to change to alloys. gather some cash and go for 13" wheels & tires. those 12" ers are of no good for a zen.

if you want to paint your car get hold of body coloured bumpers and then paint. also do get rid of those dents on your bonnet. also remember that if you do want a combo paint job get the colour matching right cause a zen looks the best in single colour.
Old 3rd June 2008, 07:33   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS Power View Post
@Zenster Congrats on getting your car & thanks for starting a thread.

i own a 98 carb zen. actually have bought it a week back and have sent it straight to the garage for work. first coat of paint done today. eagerly waiting for the finished car to come. will post pics after that.

if you do want to change to alloys. gather some cash and go for 13" wheels & tires. those 12" ers are of no good for a zen.

if you want to paint your car get hold of body coloured bumpers and then paint. also do get rid of those dents on your bonnet. also remember that if you do want a combo paint job get the colour matching right cause a zen looks the best in single colour.
@NOSpower: congrats on the Zen Carb pal...post the pics soon....13" alloys are on my mind too buddy....they'll come soon....I actually liked your suggestion of getting body colored bumpers. Any idea of where can we get them and roughly how much it would cost for the set. Also how much did the paint coat cost you???
Old 3rd June 2008, 19:57   #9
BHPian

thanks dude.

body coloured bumpers would come for Rs. 3000 approx. you'll get them at maruti genuine parts dealers. the paints gonna cost me 10k. its 2k.
Old 4th June 2008, 00:28   #10

First and foremost. REMOVE THE WHEEL CAPS. Paint the wheels Black. That will instantly boost your cars appeal.
Old 4th June 2008, 12:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

white color esteem steel rims + white door handles + white rear view mirror.
Better Tyres.
Old 4th June 2008, 12:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
You mean I can get a HU for 5-6k with mp3 and usb.... can you suggest some models mate.....
The pioneer 3050/4050 are the popular choices
Old 4th June 2008, 13:51   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueraven316 View Post
white color esteem steel rims + white door handles + white rear view mirror.
Better Tyres.
@Blueraven: First of all, lemme start by saying that your Zen looks Beautiful....secondly thanks for the suggestions but white handles and RVM ??? i was thinking in terms of having the body colored....Wheels for starters will get them done black till i save enough of Alloys...
Old 4th June 2008, 18:09   #14
Senior - BHPian

Zenster, congrats on your possession.

Zen is a fantastic small car to mod. No need for hurry, take your time and take a decision only after watching the Modded Zens in B’Lore and liking the mod.

>Consider wheel upsizing with a set of cool chrome alloys, you can even get a slightly used one in an affordable price (Check TBHP classifieds)
>Body color bumpers and side mirrors would add up to the exterior beauty with custom made grills.
>Small tail antennas and tiny artificial scoops will add-on to the looks.
>Matching sporty color art leather seat cover, steering cover and gear knops will make the interior beautiful.
>Changing to a good sun film will make your view also refreshing along with the looks.
>Also add some graphics but minimal
>ICE could be added gradually since a USB / MP3 HU is already in consideration, check the postings related to ICE to get more idea.

Last edited by aah78 : 12th June 2008 at 21:45.
Old 4th June 2008, 18:40   #15
Senior - BHPian

i to have bought a second hand zen last monday and till now loving it nice peppy car

this is my second zen the first one was totaled before i could mod it
so far i have a got a decent ICE and alloys and tires (my car also came with 12" rims)

will upload pics shortly

PS please get the original grill its a 2 piece grill and would cost around rs700 and rs500 to paint

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks