Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2008, 18:19   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT
The stock setup is enough to stop the vehicle on an incline (without having to stand on the brake pedals).
Even I've had this issue when Im stationary at the Loyola underbridge signal . The jeep would role down unless I stood on the brakes.
Old 10th June 2008, 18:55   #32
Team-BHP Support

Just got the Jeep back, and guess what? Both the rear wheels had a jammed piston. And the front left wheel ball bearing collar was broken and b-bearings damaged. Looks like I had braking only in one wheel. That's how I drove all the way from Bangalore and till today. Now I do believe Jeep can be driven without brakes.

The bill:

1) Two wheel cylinder kits (R.R) - Rs.56 (what are these exactly?)
2) Front left wheel bearings - Rs.433
3) 0.5kg greese - Rs.90
4) 1/4 liter brake fluid - Rs.50
5) Waste (cotton, etc) - Rs.20
6) Radiator Soldering - Rs.80
7) Auto charge - Rs.80 (the radiator had to be taken to Udupi)

Labour
8) Front both side hub greasing - Rs.100
9) Front both side wheel cleaning - Rs.80
10) Rear both side wheel cleaning - Rs.100
11) Radiator removal and fitting - Rs.60

Total Bill: Rs.1149

He also checked the U clamps and basically the entire braking system. He asked me to buy a fan belt quickly since the adjustment lever is at maximum. Looks like he has done a clean job. And his garage is only 5 minutes walk from my home.

The braking has improved a lot, not close to a car, but now I don't have to stand on it. I tested it on a slope, it stays immobile with reasonable pressure on the brake pedal. Braking performance while slow moving is pretty good. I haven't tested any panic braking yet. In other words, I can brake with lot more confidence now. There is no hurry to upgrade to disc brake as of now.
Old 10th June 2008, 19:03   #33
Senior - BHPian

Thats good to hear Samurai

So the repairing costs are quite decent, thats good too.
Old 10th June 2008, 19:35   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Samurai - I am glad to read that you are learning the rules of using the CL340. Conversion to disc brakes is strongly not to be attempted as an aftermarket job as reliability gets adversely affected. Please remember - your CL340 is going to be a pain to drive on road (therefore whenever we went for our off-road events all over India, my poor driver used to drive it upto the town where I would take over from the airport. Please also remember - It is going to be sheer pleasure and a mind blowing relevation to drive it the moment your wheels leave tarmac. This vehicle is designed to be taken off-road. Also remember, during serious off-roading, most of your braking will be through the transfer case (the low range ratio is 2.46:1, extremely effective) and not through the drums, so I suggest please do not waste money on anything which will not give you value, whatever anybody may say. I will reply separately to you on offroad driving techniques (including dry Rajasthan desert sand). Please post some more underbonnet and underfloor photographs of your vehicle for my reference.

By the way, I had a brand new red CL340 which I had purchased in January 1995 (MH01P8300) and had to sell it a year later as I wanted money to buy a house (sob sob). From today, I will consider your vehicle as MH01P8300 and I am committed to make your vehicle as good as mine was if you do what I suggest. I still miss my vehicle and I still have an itch to go and get myself another one.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 10th June 2008 at 19:36. Reason: Name added
Old 10th June 2008, 19:38   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I haven't tested any panic braking yet. In other words, I can brake with lot more confidence now. There is no hurry to upgrade to disc brake as of now.
Hope they work as well when they are good and wet. It can be a shocker when they do not.
Old 10th June 2008, 20:17   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
The only advice I can give you is - Keep it Simple.
Sure Farhan, I will keep it simple considering the modest support system here. BTW, did you miss the last S?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Samurai - I am glad to read that you are learning the rules of using the CL340.
Behram sir, I know you had mentioned why you call it CL instead of CJ. But the plaque behind the steering wheel specifically identifies the Jeep as CJ340 DP. Did the renaming to CL happen after that?

Quote:
your CL340 is going to be a pain to drive on road
I have become quite comfortable with it on road, sure it is slow, but it is growing on me. I take the Jeep to drive home for lunch and back every day.

Quote:
Please post some more underbonnet and underfloor photographs of your vehicle for my reference.
Sure, photographs are something I can handle.

Quote:
By the way, I had a brand new red CL340 which I had purchased in January 1995 (MH01P8300) and had to sell it a year later as I wanted money to buy a house (sob sob). From today, I will consider your vehicle as MH01P8300 and I am committed to make your vehicle as good as mine was if you do what I suggest.
I am overwhelmed, I don't know what to say, surely I'll follow your suggestions, I know it will be priceless.
Old 10th June 2008, 23:28   #37
Team-BHP Support

Samurai san glad to know that issue with brakes is sorted out, as i had remarked earlier, from the stint i had with The Jeep, had convinced me that the brakes, if functioning are good enough for the limits of the vehicle and engine braking will compensate for the additional need if it arises.

Now can we get some mud plowing shots please?
Old 11th June 2008, 12:46   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My immediate concern is brakes, because I feel it is not effective, even for a Jeep. The mechanic has revealed few problems, hopefully that was the cause.
Hi Sharat, Can you tell is what your mechanic suggested. Am curious to know how to improve the braking of such vehicles. No offense, I too felt the same initially when i had a Cj3B, but later learnt to live with it.

There was one moment when the damn brakes failed in total and after that incident, the brakes seemed heavenly. Ofcourse they improved with 235/70 R16 tyres.

Have even toyed with the idea of fitting the air brakes as in Buses to improve the efficiency.

Would be happy to know how you intend improving the same.
Old 11th June 2008, 16:59   #39
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Classic has awesome brakes; they are just perfect in feel and stopping power. Never had a complaint with them.
Old 11th June 2008, 17:28   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Classic has awesome brakes; they are just perfect in feel and stopping power. Never had a complaint with them.
But it came as factory fitted stock setup, isn't?
Old 11th June 2008, 17:58   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Quote:
But it came as factory fitted stock setup, isn't?
Also, is it not Disc brakes up front ?
Old 11th June 2008, 20:12   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Also, is it not Disc brakes up front ?
Yes, his stock setup has disc brakes in front.
Old 17th June 2008, 08:05   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, his stock setup has disc brakes in front.
Sam, you could explore whether one can fit the classic setup with disc brakes onto your 3B.

The classics are like cars to drive especially in the braking department!
Old 17th June 2008, 09:13   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Sam, you could explore whether one can fit the classic setup with disc brakes onto your 3B.

The classics are like cars to drive especially in the braking department!
In light of the following comment, I have postponed it indefinitely.
Quote:
Dear Samurai - I am glad to read that you are learning the rules of using the CL340. Conversion to disc brakes is strongly not to be attempted as an aftermarket job as reliability gets adversely affected.
Old 17th June 2008, 13:06   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In light of the following comment, I have postponed it indefinitely.
Yes Sir, I agree, 99% of the aftermarket jobs are shoddy.

But there is always the 1% which is successful and i thought since you are a proud JEEP owner, maybe you belonged to this elite 1%.

No offense, but IMO jeeps need to be taken care of for them to serve you without issues. As they stand, they are tough, unpredictable, slow vehicles!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks