Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2008, 13:32   #16
Senior - BHPian

I have seen a mirror hanging off from the top of the boot(outside) of suv's like innova scorpio safari crv etc... what is that mirror for and how does it help?
Old 9th June 2008, 15:49   #17
Senior - BHPian

Sorry, asthedivx, it seems I was misinformed about the installation.

But as i was searching for benefits I found it is indeed beneficial if installed properly.

Quote:
The initiative by former Road Safety Minister to tackle 'side-swiping' incidents involving left-hand drive trucks has shown a 59% reduction in accidents and work is now underway to roll it out across the country, current Road Safety Minister Jim Fitzpatrick announced on 6th December.

The results follow the distribution of 40,000 window-mounted lenses - known as Fresnel lenses - to left-hand drive trucks entering the UK across the Dover Straits. The Highways Agency will now distribute a further 90,000 lenses, targeting major ports in both England and France.
Source

Feature of wide angle rear window fresnel lens

* Easily applied and removed by using water only.
* Easy installation on rear window of your vehicle.
* No tools required.
* Need no adhesive, just use water only
* The lens is better working for vertical rear windows

Thickness: 1.2mm
Weight: 70 grams
Material: Soft PVC
Groove pitch: 0.5mm
Focal Length: -300mm
View Angle:
upward:13 side:25 down:27 degree

How to install?

* Apply the quality lens to the inside of the rear window near the botton edge.
* Make sure window is clean, then wet it with water
* Apply smooth side of lens on the inside of window
* Remove air bubbles from the lens
* Hold firmly in place for a few seconds.
* The lens will turn crystal clear until peeled off.

Last edited by dadu : 9th June 2008 at 15:52.
Old 9th June 2008, 16:44   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
I have seen a mirror hanging off from the top of the boot(outside) of suv's like innova scorpio safari crv etc... what is that mirror for and how does it help?

I guess you mean this

More About the Hawkeye
Old 9th June 2008, 16:52   #19
Senior - BHPian

[quote=dadu;859416

Does it help improve the visibility of the hidden areas at the back ??.

I have seen that many people use it but need feedback from someone using it, Pro's & Cons please.[/quote]

It sure does increase the visibility. It is used mainly for hatchback cars like yours. 3M does have the same product and many people using it are satisfied with the visibility it provides. Only thing is you need to fix at the correct angle. Go for it, Dadu.
Old 9th June 2008, 17:23   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I have used the circular convex (stickon) mirror in my Accord, and it greatly helped toward maximising the field of vision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
For reversing.
Old 9th June 2008, 17:37   #21
Senior - BHPian

People lets not confuse between lenses and mirrors. The thread is about lenses that is to be stuck on the rear wind shield of the vehicle.
Old 11th June 2008, 14:16   #22
BHPian

Hi Snaronikar,

I have used the lense in my Bolero and Scorpio and found it useful. The key is to ensure that the person who drives most, sit on the drivers seat and guide the instalation of the lense to ensure that you get the optimum view. One drawback that I faced was while looking through my rear view mirror, I could not see the traffic very clearly through the lense.

However it was very beneficial to me while reversing so I overlooked the drawback. Just fyi there are 2 kinds of lenses. One where you wet and fix the lense entirely while another which has a frame and a handle and only the handle gets fixed. I found the former better.

Trust the above helps.
Old 11th June 2008, 16:06   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianrunner View Post
Hi Snaronikar,

I have used the lense in my Bolero and Scorpio and found it useful. The key is to ensure that the person who drives most, sit on the drivers seat and guide the instalation of the lense to ensure that you get the optimum view. One drawback that I faced was while looking through my rear view mirror, I could not see the traffic very clearly through the lense.

However it was very beneficial to me while reversing so I overlooked the drawback. Just fyi there are 2 kinds of lenses. One where you wet and fix the lense entirely while another which has a frame and a handle and only the handle gets fixed. I found the former better.

Trust the above helps.
Where to purchase these lens from in Mumbai ?

Rgds
Old 11th June 2008, 16:38   #24
Senior - BHPian

At your friendly neighbourhood accessories shop or a 3M outlet (if you can find it out).

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
Where to purchase these lens from in Mumbai ?

Rgds
Old 15th June 2008, 13:03   #25
Senior - BHPian

After much search and thought I ordered from Ebay which was delivered promptly and then with much of R&D (Since safari has the Spare wheel right in the center) fixed as below:

Wide Angle/Magnifier Rear Window Lens-picture-009-large.jpg

You can buy it from 3M too, but twice as costly and smaller the size. I bought 11x14", cut it into half.

For 3M, had to call their regional office - then got a salesguy number, called him - got the distributor number, called him- got the dealer number.

Dealer had no stock (slow moving) but the distributor assured of delivering the stocks soon.

First Impressions:

Using the arrangement I used, the top glass is very clear and provides natural view, left about an inch from the bottom with the same clear view.

- The fresnel WAL, does capture more area than you can see through the rear glass without it, from both the road below and the sides.

- Just like the ORVM, things are closer than seen, so will need to develop a judgement for it.

- Fulfills the purpose of showing up the hidden things on the road and side's apprx 3-4ft below and away from the rear of the rear glass.(big rocks, bicycles, scooters, motorcycles, kids).

- It would be very very useful for hatchbacks and vehicles without a spare tyre mounted/boot on the back and at unimaginable costs.

- No extra mounting required, easy install and removal, no wires, no warranty problems for new cars.

Last edited by dadu : 15th June 2008 at 13:05.
Old 17th June 2008, 17:59   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
- It would be very very useful for hatchbacks and vehicles without a spare tyre mounted/boot on the back and at unimaginable costs.
Dadu,
Thanks for the recommendation buddy, have bought one from ebay after reading through your post. Shall check out the use and update here.

TChau,
+Rocky_Balboa+
Old 17th June 2008, 18:25   #27
BHPian

What is the cost?.

Is it advisable for a Swift with dark Sunfilms?
Old 17th June 2008, 20:36   #28
Senior - BHPian

Its no longer available on ebay so check your nearest acc shop. 3M costs around 550Rs for a 6x8 and 1000rRs for 8x10.

Its just a wide angle lens, so it will show a picture of a wider and hidden areas collated in the lens as you would see through the dark glass naturally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwa View Post
What is the cost?.

Is it advisable for a Swift with dark Sunfilms?
Old 18th June 2008, 12:19   #29
BHPian

If anyone still interested in the Fresnel product, as the listings are removed from Ebay, the vendor can be contacted directly at autobahnindia@hotmail.com. The person's name is Mr. Devan. You may have to check out with him regarding the modalities of the transaction.

I have purchased the product, like Dadu did. It has been delivered and am waiting for the weekend to find time to do a "precision fitting" !
My only apprehension is how the lens would stick to the glass by just using a water coating as mentioned in the literature ?? It may fall off whenever cabin temperatures are high under the sun !!
Old 18th June 2008, 12:58   #30
Senior - BHPian

Just drove a car with this thingy stuck on the rear glass. Couldn't find much of a difference coz once you are accustomed to the RVM's(L&R) IMO you hardly tend to look into this.

I found it easier to use the RVM's and maybe it takes time to get used to this concept. Well thats just me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks