Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2008, 14:04   #1
BHPian

CNG for Chevy Optra?

hi frnds i wanted know about the cng kits available for optra .
what are the various options,the cost and problems encountered ???
i contacted a local dealer who offered me a - 12 kg cylinder + kit [named D.D.] for Rs.36,000.
is it any good ???
Old 11th June 2008, 14:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

PM Ashthedivx, he'll be the best guy to speak to for finding out about Optra CNG options

Last edited by suman : 11th June 2008 at 14:31.
Old 11th June 2008, 17:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanx for Reco. Suman !!

CNG Kits availability depends on the make of your Optra. It costed me somewhere around 56K including CNG Kit + Lamda Controller + RC Endorsement + Insurance up-gradation along with 24 months unlimited mileage warranty on the kit (which i presume is 12 months otherwise). Got it done from Autovikas, Karampura. Though they got it outsourced from Shirmanker, okhla.

I would suggest to stick with GM Service Center for the fitments.

+ves
GM people will be always answerable for your queries.
Less miss-communication between kit installer and gm service people.
Warranty remains intact
Less clutter job
Clean installation
Peace of mind

-ve
Cost variation from the other non-gm service stations (Somewhere around 5-8K, at the time of my research )
Non availability of senior CNG technicians and cng kit spares every time in service station.

Yes, i would recommend CNG anyday over petrol in Optra, it will let you enjoy the luxury sheerly. No as such major problem till date, covered on an average around 25K Kms in a year.
Old 11th June 2008, 17:46   #4
BANNED

@ashthedivx : whats u r opinion abut CNG in Maruti cars liker Swift or Zen? any comments on F.E ?
Old 11th June 2008, 18:09   #5
BHPian

Kits to look out for (in order of prefference):-
1. Tomascetto Achilles
2. Landi Renzo
3. Bedini

Cost of installation:-
Rs. 35000- Rs.40000

Necessities:-
TAP- Timing Advancer for an open loop kit, to eliminate the loss of torque in CNG and to equalise performance of CNG and petrol.
Cost : Rs. 1000-1200

OR

Lamda Control- For a closed loop kit. Acts like a piggyback ECU for CNG and regulates inflow of CNG to cylinders. Again this is to equalise performance on CNG and petrol. Also for better efficiency.
Cost: Rs 4500 Approx. but varies.

Got more of Vitamin M:-
Go for a sequential injection kit from the above mentioned brands to get more performance on CNG as compared to petrol and also other benefits like better FE and rare trip to the fitter for adjustments or settings.
Cost : Approx. Rs 60,000-70,000.

Remember to get the fitment done from a reputed dealer(Govt. authorsided.)
Advisable to get the R.C endorsed.
Cost-Rs 1000-1200 if you get it done yourself and Rs 3500-4000 through a jack.

THINGS TO REMEMBER
->Always keep the air-filter and throttle body clean for optimum performance and FE.
Old 11th June 2008, 22:32   #6
BHPian

@ ashthedivx - no cng available or optra in Lucknow. the dealer says that it'll actually be done in Delhi itself and coz gm has not authorized any cng dealer in the city

So ill have to go with aftermarket fitment but it doesn't matter much coz the warranty is getting over in Sept.
Will check out the brands mentioned and get back soon

BTW which is better - open loop or closed loop????

and then respectively - Timing Advancer or Lamda Control

cya

Last edited by beanstalk_230 : 11th June 2008 at 22:40.
Old 12th June 2008, 09:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicejits View Post
@ashthedivx : whats u r opinion abut CNG in Maruti cars liker Swift or Zen? any comments on F.E ?
CNG is anyday a much cleaner fuel anyday over petrol or diesel. This is further admitted by state government bodies too as CNG altered need not to get the regular PUC done.

However, CNG alteration is practically on each and any veichle. However, hyundai owners and maurti owners are among the most of the cng users since the engine structure is very simple and less complications are their in regard to the latest engines.

Swift is any day a better performer over zen, since swift has got a powerful engine which is helpful in pulling up the usual crab weight of the car and load of the cng cylinder very easily. Remember, being a hatch you might be ending up you boot space of Swift. Secondly, cylinder seems to hideen away in swift since it's a tall call against zen which is a short car.

One of mine friend's swift ZXI is drawing a F.E. or 18-19 Km/kg with 90% AC usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanstalk_230 View Post
@ ashthedivx - no cng available or optra in Lucknow. the dealer says that it'll actually be done in Delhi itself and coz gm has not authorized any cng dealer in the city

So ill have to go with aftermarket fitment but it doesn't matter much coz the warranty is getting over in Sept.
Will check out the brands mentioned and get back soon

BTW which is better - open loop or closed loop????

and then respectively - Timing Advancer or Lamda Control

cya
Closed loop Kit along with Timing advancer is any day better then Opened Loop Kit.

From where ever you get the installation done, do check out for a registered one only. Install the Approved CNG kit only, rather going for any other stuff. Also, by any means do not skip insurance up gradation with the CNG thingy, as it may hamper you insurance. These small measure may cost you 2-4K but will help you at later stage.
Old 12th June 2008, 10:21   #8
BHPian

hey Abhik are you sure on the order of the kit preferrences given, i was told that 'Landi Renzo's " kit are considered to be the best. Just want to be sure on this one, as i believe everyone has their own preferrences wrt the kits in the market. But overall which is the best.
Old 16th June 2008, 23:38   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invincible7 View Post
hey Abhik are you sure on the order of the kit preferrences given, i was told that 'Landi Renzo's " kit are considered to be the best. Just want to be sure on this one, as i believe everyone has their own preferrences wrt the kits in the market. But overall which is the best.
Kits again as you said are a personal prefference but i have Tomascettos running on my Ikon/ friend's Swift/Alto/Astra '97 but end of the day all 3 mentioned are at par. The only advantage with Tomascetto is its compatibility with a wide model of cars and very little/rare adjustment(setting/tuning) required from time to time.
Old 17th June 2008, 23:03   #10
BHPian

Landi Renzo- The best you can get..!

Bedini is the Authorized and OEM Fittment for the Optra and Aveo.
Old 17th June 2008, 23:18   #11
BHPian

what's the mileage you can expect per kg of cng,and is it necessary to change the oil more frequently, does the milage go down compared to petrol

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th June 2008 at 23:31. Reason: what, NOT wot.
Old 18th June 2008, 02:35   #12
BHPian

- 12 kg cylinder + kit [named D.D.] for Rs.36,000 is good.they charge the same everywhere and there are some dealers with 50k total installation price on cng , i dont know whats special about there installation
Old 18th June 2008, 14:29   #13
BHPian

Mileage is close to 18- 21 Km per KG. Normal Oil change at 10,000 KM or specified interval by Manufacturer- But nothing less than a Magnatec.
Old 11th April 2010, 19:31   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys
I recently got CNG installed in my 2004 Chevy Optra 1.6.
I am been amazed by the sheer savings in the cost of fuel and now I think that why dint I get this done earlier. The kit has been endorsed on the RC and the Kit is Tomascetto (I think, but ill check it on the kit itself and reconfirm) The bill says "BRC includes ...." Is BRC and Tomascetto the same thing??

The cylinder is 14kgs NCL make. I paid a total of 31k which includes everything, including the endorsement on the RC, though government authorised installer and not a GM workshop. i din't even ask as my vehicle was more than 6 years old there was no warranty to loose!!!

Post installation the vehicle is great to drive and under normal driving we don't even notice the decrease in the pickup, but naturally when trying to rev her hard there's a lag, but hey I am not complaining as long as I am saving the moolah. They've put several items in the vehicle, Ive attached a copy of the bill).
I start the vehicle normally and it always starts in Petrol. there's not switch to convert from Petrol to CNG. After warming her up (once in the morning) I just have to rev her up, greater than 3000 RPM and its switches to CNG automatically. Incase the CNG finishes we just have to press 1 switch and the vehicle runs on petrol. Its that simple!!!

I just got the kit installed about 10 days back, so now my queries
  • The cylinder is 14kgs and the shop owner told me that we would be able to fill about 10-12 kgs of gas, but the max that I've been able to fill is 8.50kgs and that too when the cylinder was completely empty.
  • As the vehicle runs daily for 90-100kms weekdays mostly, this (8.5kgs of gas) creates an issue. I think I am averaging about 12-13kms /kg approx so this gives me a range of only 100-110kms. which means that I have to send the vehicle to the filling station everyday. I've also got the cylinder checked and it has 65L engraved on it which someone told me comes on a 14kg cylinders.
  • Also I've changed the valve on the cylinder to a bigger one but no resolve. Please advise/ comment
  • I read somewhere that in the GM supplied kit they change the rear springs to manage the extra weight. Where do I get that done and how much should it cost (parts/ labor)?
  • I wish to get a IInd opinion on the installation. Can anyone recommend an installer, who wouldn't mind giving me unbiased advise!! Really need it!!!
Thanks & Cheers

Enclosed a scanned copy of the Invoice
Attached Thumbnails
CNG for Chevy Optra?-optra-cng-bill-march-2010-10001.jpg  

Old 15th April 2010, 23:41   #15
SAS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hey guys
I recently got CNG installed in my 2004 Chevy Optra 1.6.
I am been amazed by the sheer savings in the cost of fuel and now I think that why dint I get this done earlier. The kit has been endorsed on the RC and the Kit is Tomascetto (I think, but ill check it on the kit itself and reconfirm) The bill says "BRC includes ...." Is BRC and Tomascetto the same thing??

The cylinder is 14kgs NCL make. I paid a total of 31k which includes everything, including the endorsement on the RC, though government authorised installer and not a GM workshop. i din't even ask as my vehicle was more than 6 years old there was no warranty to loose!!!

Post installation the vehicle is great to drive and under normal driving we don't even notice the decrease in the pickup, but naturally when trying to rev her hard there's a lag, but hey I am not complaining as long as I am saving the moolah. They've put several items in the vehicle, Ive attached a copy of the bill).
I start the vehicle normally and it always starts in Petrol. there's not switch to convert from Petrol to CNG. After warming her up (once in the morning) I just have to rev her up, greater than 3000 RPM and its switches to CNG automatically. Incase the CNG finishes we just have to press 1 switch and the vehicle runs on petrol. Its that simple!!!

I just got the kit installed about 10 days back, so now my queries
  • The cylinder is 14kgs and the shop owner told me that we would be able to fill about 10-12 kgs of gas, but the max that I've been able to fill is 8.50kgs and that too when the cylinder was completely empty.
  • As the vehicle runs daily for 90-100kms weekdays mostly, this (8.5kgs of gas) creates an issue. I think I am averaging about 12-13kms /kg approx so this gives me a range of only 100-110kms. which means that I have to send the vehicle to the filling station everyday. I've also got the cylinder checked and it has 65L engraved on it which someone told me comes on a 14kg cylinders.
  • Also I've changed the valve on the cylinder to a bigger one but no resolve. Please advise/ comment
  • I read somewhere that in the GM supplied kit they change the rear springs to manage the extra weight. Where do I get that done and how much should it cost (parts/ labor)?
  • I wish to get a IInd opinion on the installation. Can anyone recommend an installer, who wouldn't mind giving me unbiased advise!! Really need it!!!
Thanks & Cheers

Enclosed a scanned copy of the Invoice
Harjeev, I too have converted to CNG recently. I'm running an Alto BS3 with a Lovato kit with TAP. It's been installed as an open loop (without the lambda control system). Now regarding to your queries:
1. A cylinder is always measured in water capacity. Yours is 65 ltrs and generally at around 190-200 bar you should be able to get around 8.5 kgs when empty. I too have a 65 ltr tank by Lizer
2. Generally the average improves by 40%-45% over a Petrol. I used to get 17kmpl on petrol so I get 25 km per kg on my Alto. I think your mileage of around 13 is good. If you are running a closed loop system, then your mileage might improve further marginally. Ensure you have installed the timing advancer, that way you should not feel much performance drop
3. No clue on the valve of the cylinder. IMHO, please use the one which came with the kit.
4. Personally looking that the way the installer wrote the memo, I'm getting a feeling you could have found better installers than this. I cannot help you since I'm in Mumbai, but several others on this forum should be able go guide you.

Some tips IMHO:
1. Ensure your spark plugs are clean and properly gapped.
2. Clean your air filter frequently (say every 2000 kms)
3. Don't accelerate hard with CNG at low RPM. Low end torque is reduced when you run on CNG.
4. If possible, change to a marginally thicker grade of engine oil. I am currently running 20w-40, and planning to move to 20w-50 castrol GTX. go semi-synth if possible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks