Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2008, 15:53   #31

Hi folks

I just did a rebuilt job on my M800 (1989 Model) She has run around 1 lac 40 km . The engine was still the stock one . The performance and milage both was down to earth in the past few years .Dad dose not want to sell it so decided to get it repaired . Checked with ABT (Coimbatore ) They where talking about replacing the lover part of the engine and servicing the top part .(Sorry bare with me i am not that technical , even though a mechanical engg ) .Checked with few other workshops .A family friend directed us to SAG ( Sivas auto garage ) in Peelamed (behind PSG Tech College ) People from Coimbatore might know . He worked out the deal much cheaper than ABT .So decided to go with him .It took almost 2 weeks for him to get the engine done No performance upgrades just bringing it back to stock engine condition .I have not touched the cosmetic part yet , $ shortage .Will preferably do after 2 or 3 months . Attaching few picks of my engine work .

Cost involved - Around 45 K

Includes Mechanical & mini cosmetic
1 New engine bottom part ( Mariti ) Servicing the other parts
2 ShocK's refurbishing
3 Break liners
4 Axil bushes
5 Cluch bushes
6 Gear adjustments
7 Welding inner part of the engine room (rusted)
8 Painting the engine room
9 painting the bumpers / Front bumper replaced (new)
10 Wheel Alignment
11 Washing
12 Rub polish

Hope this was useful for those who want to restore their M800

Maruti 800 Restoration Project-image794.jpg

Maruti 800 Restoration Project-image793.jpg

Maruti 800 Restoration Project-image792.jpg

Will keep you people posted about the performance shortly . I have not checked really as i got the vehicle out of the Garage only yesterday evening
Old 28th September 2008, 19:05   #32
BANNED

Good to see you are restoring your M800. I had all cosmetic modification done. Presently my engine is ok. I am planning to do some performance modification after 3/4 months. Attaching some some latest photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti 800 Restoration Project-1.jpg  

Maruti 800 Restoration Project-2.jpg  

Old 28th September 2008, 19:24   #33
BHPian

Hi Mituadas,

Good to see your come up nice and clean , I have the grand feeling of just having restored my 800 back to shape similar work but in white !! I have posted a thread to that effect and you can check it out too http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...carb-pics.html

Buddy, the garnish under the Head Light is light grey in color and seems a little out of place , please try and blend it with your grill if possible or maybe i am just mistaken and its a light effect thing. I have also added a K&N filter to it (stock replacement) and am due for a FFE.

Safe driving pal and excellent piece of restoring the car I must say !!

Best Regards,

Srinivas
Old 29th September 2008, 09:53   #34

Hi folks

mituadas nice work , good paint job .. I am waiting to change mine . Probably after 3 to 4 months ( right now broke after shelling 45 K ). Would need your advice at that time for sure .

As i was talking about the rebuild on the M800 . i took the delivery on Saturday evening . Did some 25 Km ride as the Speedometer is been reset to Zero .Nice feeling like riding a stock 800 .

Few small glitches though

1 The steering column is making a funny noise ( I have been asked to replace the entire column cost 3 K )

2 If the vehicle is left free to let go in a 50 K speed its going towards left . Like there is a left pull .

Before i go back to the garage , can any one through some light on the issue . Would be of great help

Attaching few picks of my car as well as the old half engine .

Maruti 800 Restoration Project-image799.jpg

Maruti 800 Restoration Project-image763.jpg

Maruti 800 Restoration Project-image798.jpg

Maruti 800 Restoration Project-image796.jpg

Maruti 800 Restoration Project-image797.jpg

Maruti 800 Restoration Project-image800.jpg
Old 20th February 2009, 17:28   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvenky30 View Post
mituadas nice work , good paint job .. I am waiting to change mine . Probably after 3 to 4 months ( right now broke after shelling 45 K ). Would need your advice at that time for sure .

As i was talking about the rebuild on the M800 . i took the delivery on Saturday evening . Did some 25 Km ride as the Speedometer is been reset to Zero .Nice feeling like riding a stock 800 .

Few small glitches though

1 The steering column is making a funny noise ( I have been asked to replace the entire column cost 3 K )

2 If the vehicle is left free to let go in a 50 K speed its going towards left . Like there is a left pull .

Before i go back to the garage , can any one through some light on the issue . Would be of great help

Attaching few picks of my car as well as the old half engine .

Attachment 53837

Attachment 53838

Attachment 53839

Attachment 53840

Attachment 53841

Attachment 53842
Pradeep, What a Coincidence, we both own old white 800s (Mine 1996) and wow the interiors are exactly the same. I actually got confused whether its my car photo or what ! ! ! Its similar to the extent that I too have that Swift plate to hide the cut above the Ciggarette Lighter. Same Pinch Dude

Anyways, I just got my 800 overhauled which includes
1. Full Engine Overhaul
2. Suspension Overhaul
3. Dent / Paint (Partial)
4. Miscellaneous work (Changed Roof, Door boards etc)

The total cost for all this was 16K. Attaching complete part vs cost details.

Hope I spent the right amount.

I have a few queries on post overhaul experience, from the Gurus and would be obliged to learn from you.

Queries
1. I don't feel any exceptional increase in pick up (BHP) of the car. My mechanic told me that pre overhauling my car was eating up on the engine oil and a car delivers more power (BHP) if consuming extra engine oil. Need advice. Is that correct?? My observation is that it is producing the same amount of power as it was before the overhaul.
2. I feel that the torque (if I am correct), has improved. I say this because pre overhaul i had to switch to 2nd gear at speeds below 35-40Km but i can easily drive at 40Km with 3rd and 4th gear now (without any knocking noise). Is my observation correct??
3. I was expecting a 20-30% increase in the power of my car after the overhaul (less technically and more emotionally). As I haven't found that increase, would need advise on what can be done to improve the power of this car. I already have read some of the threads suggesting change in filter (K&N), Iridium Spark plugs etc. If I could get advice on the cheapest way to do that, as i have already spent 16K this month.

Thanking you in anticipation
Attached Files
File Type: xls CAR OVERHAUL DETAILS.xls (39.5 KB, 1424 views)
Old 17th May 2009, 13:23   #36
vinfriend

Re-painting M800 92 in Kerala

I'm planning for a complete repainting & overhall of my maruti 800 92 model. After reading the threads here, I just wonder where should I give it for service, MASS or Local workshop? Some of friends here favours MASS but some are talking about irresponsibility of MASS people in terms of cost and quality of work. I'm from kerala & plan to give it somewhere in Cochin/Trichur. What will be the approx. cost for complete re-painting it in MASS/Local workshop, and if its MASS which one should I prefer? Please help me

Old 18th May 2009, 17:43   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinfriend View Post
I'm planning for a complete repainting & overhall of my maruti 800 92 model. After reading the threads here, I just wonder where should I give it for service, MASS or Local workshop? Some of friends here favours MASS but some are talking about irresponsibility of MASS people in terms of cost and quality of work. I'm from kerala & plan to give it somewhere in Cochin/Trichur. What will be the approx. cost for complete re-painting it in MASS/Local workshop, and if its MASS which one should I prefer? Please help me
Well it all depends on how well you know MASS or a Local Mechanic. There are times when local mechanics do the job far better than MASS. My personal preference would be a local mechanic (after checking his credentials well enough) and even before giving your car to this mechanic you should chalk out a list of things you need to get done in your car.

P.S. Do include Porting & Polishing of heads which i missed due to lack of knowledge.
Old 18th May 2009, 20:46   #38
BANNED

If you know any good mechanic then go for local garage. Otherwise go for MASS. Local mechanic may charge 12-15K. Where MASS may charge 20K+. Thanks
S. Das
Old 1st April 2010, 23:38   #39
BHPian

my friend what you have done here has inspired me to do up my 88 800 as well. your car looks as good as new. though i would have preffered if you would have kep the bumpers black. painting them to body colour would have been a good idea only if your bumpers were NOT new. just love the pics in post number 29
Old 5th August 2010, 19:36   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mituadas View Post
It cost me 19k including denting and painting.
Mituadas. I am looking forward to restore my maruti 800. need some ideas from you.
Old 7th November 2013, 12:49   #41
BHPian

Bringing a 15 y.o M800 back into shape

Advance apologies for the long post.

We have a 15 year old Maruti 800 that just came back with my father after he retired. It only has 44K km on the odometer so you know it was hardly put to much use - only roaming around in a small town.

This model is the old carburetted one and comes with no power steering, no AC and no computer. The car still starts and runs well but there are a few issues I noticed and I'm here to ask for advice from you. I've very little experience driving a M800, so if some of these are the car's original traits please let me know.

1. Car judders at idle. I can feel the entire vehicle shaking along, like a diesel vehicle. No issues when in motion.

2. Letting the clutch go just a bit (half clutch) doesn't put the car in motion unlike in my previous vehicle (Beat), so I definitely need to input accel to get it going.

3. I seem to need to depress accelerator more than I'm used to (on the Beat), to get the car moving initially. This is as you release the clutch. Once in motion, it feels OK.

4. Steering is extremely, extremely hard at 0-5kmph speeds. I've never driven a non-power-assisted steering before so that could be it.

5. Once in motion, lifting the foot off the gas pedal seems to make the car jerk - an abrupt reduction in speed like on a motorcycle. It doesn't seem to just cruise along. I guess this is down to the lack of an ECU.

6. Father says brake liners were recently replaced (1 month ago) but I really have to stand on the lever to make it slow down.

7. Engaging the hand-brake only seems to slow the car's motion, not stop it fully. Also, the button on the handbrake has totally gone inside, but seems to respond to pressing.

8. All RVMs seem to have plain mirrors installed - not the convex(?) ones that say "Objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear". This is driving me nuts as I assume all vehicle are breathing right down the car's back. Possible to get them replaced?

9. There is no Left ORVM and it scares me. Is it possible to add one from MGA?

10. Gear shifts are hard and vague. The second gear especially is the hardest to slot into. Ok, "slot" doesn't exist on this vehicle.

Ok, that was a long list. The car hasn't been very regularly maintained but seen just enough to get it going. It needs a thorough service and lubing to fix all the creaks and squeeks. It also badly needs a wash and vacuum as it was handled in dirty conditions during transport. Also needs new seat covers as the old ones are thoroughly sun-faded. Tires are good.

What else would you suggest I do or look into to keep the car running for the years to come?

Haven't had time to click pictures but if you're interested I'll upload some this weekend after atleast a wipe down of all the dust

This is truly a barebones tension-free car and old memories of us traveling without AC on the RDM-HYD route were all brought back the instant I saw the car being driven into the parking lot last Sunday. My dad has kept it going all these years and I want to do my part to get it going longer. Thanks for your inputs!
hellmet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 13:14   #42
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bringing a 15 y.o M800 back into shape

What ever you have listed is what a carb 800 is all about. They are not issues, thats how the car is.
The second gear slotting gets better when the car has run few kms after a cold start.
The left side mirror can be fitted.
Get the air filter replaced and carb cleaned and tuned. Check if the spark cable needs to be replaced along with the plugs.
It just needs a full service and it will a fun to drive car.
The steering is hard in low speeds is normal.
Most of the points you have listed is because I feel you have not driven much of this and you are coming from a new age car.

Regards
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 11:28   #43
BHPian

Not really sure why my thread was merged into this as I'm not looking to restore my M800.
Old 8th November 2013, 12:27   #44
BHPian

Hellmet,

Mine is a 1995 M800 AC, first-hand, which I learnt driving on and use regularly. It has clocked only 65k kms. Here are my observations:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
I've very little experience driving a M800, so if some of these are the car's original traits please let me know.

1. Car judders at idle. I can feel the entire vehicle shaking along, like a diesel vehicle. No issues when in motion.
Yes, used to happen even in motion making it difficult to see the IRVM. Reduced significantly after the mechanic reduced the idle rpm. Easier to stall now.

Quote:
2. Letting the clutch go just a bit (half clutch) doesn't put the car in motion

3. I seem to need to depress accelerator more than I'm used to (on the Beat), to get the car moving initially. This is as you release the clutch. Once in motion, it feels OK.

4. Steering is extremely, extremely hard at 0-5kmph speeds.

5. Once in motion, lifting the foot off the gas pedal seems to make the car jerk
2,3,4 same with my A-Star. 5 yes.

Quote:
6. Father says brake liners were recently replaced (1 month ago) but I really have to stand on the lever to make it slow down.
I guess you mean pedal.

Both the axles were replaced a few weeks ago (Dussera time) along with the brake liners. Ever since I have to put way more pressure on the pedal than what it required earlier. Haven't even driven 50km on the new axles. So do tell me if it gets better over time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
What ever you have listed is what a carb 800 is all about.
Thanks, the M800 is my first car and I really wanted to know if these issues are specific to my car.
amolbh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2013, 11:49   #45
BHPian

re: Maruti 800 Restoration Project

I haven't driven much on my new axles, but I'm facing these issues:

The car rocks while in motion (sideways like a boat) while in motion, and at times I hear a sound of a metallic rod hitting something along with a slight jerk.

I spoke to my mechanic about this, and he says that some tie rod has gone bad.

Also, the car stalls while starting off (I can drive a manual) and I think it has something to do with the axles.

The car also turns to the left if I leave the steering.

I feel the mechanic hasn't fixed the axles properly.

Please advise as my mechanic will come in a few hours.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks