Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2008, 23:59   #16
Senior - BHPian

If you are okay with spending a bit, the 4G92 MIVEC head can be bolted onto a 4G94. A difficult mod yes but very much possible.

It however might be more sensible to just get a 2.4L 4G69 engine which is a direct bolt on.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 24th June 2008 at 00:03.
Old 24th June 2008, 00:04   #17
Team-BHP Support

MIVEC for low end?? May improve it a bit but not worth it. Mivec is more for top end. I think it will be a pretty major mod not just a head replacement.
Old 24th June 2008, 00:08   #18
BHPian

Wo Wo Wo! Ok ROC, lets keep a bolting on, as strictly not one of the options right now
Old 24th June 2008, 00:09   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91 View Post
stock ecm's are tuned for maximum efficiency. Not maximum torque. Also please read what i have written. Turbos can be set to spool earlier.
Thats what even i understood.
Old 24th June 2008, 00:15   #20
Senior - BHPian

Would a Fuel Pressure Regulator help?
Old 24th June 2008, 00:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
MIVEC for low end?? May improve it a bit but not worth it. Mivec is more for top end. I think it will be a pretty major mod not just a head replacement.
The difference is the head is DOHC unlike the SOHC stock head... quite a few folks on evolutionm forums have done this particular mod.
Old 24th June 2008, 00:39   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueguru View Post
@RedMM340
"But keep in mind that the improvement will just one size smaller tires will be small, and you may not realize it unless you know the limitations of your current brakes. This would mean race track driving or rally driving where you push your brakes to the limit of their capabilities."
My tyre config is 205 15 60, according to what you say, what shold be the front and rear tyre configs be?

I cannot tell you what size tire to run. You will have to look at what is available similar to your tire size. Perhaps a 195 15 60 or 195 15 50 would work. About 12 to 15 mm smaller overall diameter would be a safe bet. A 25 mm reduction is a large one and you would have to be careful about ground clearance issues.

Just changing the front tires should do the trick since yours is a front wheel drive.
Old 24th June 2008, 00:51   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91 View Post
stock ecm's are tuned for maximum efficiency. Not maximum torque. Also please read what i have written. Turbos can be set to spool earlier.

O.k., I see where you said that a replacement ECM will make very little difference. What I disagree with is that I don't think that you can get a replacement ECM to perform better at low rpm.

Right, stock ecms are tuned for max efficiency, which is the same as good low end grunt. The way to drive for max efficiency is to keep the rpm as low as possible in the highest gear possible. This is low end torque. This is the reason mass production engines have small intake throttle bodies and exhaust pipes with restriction. They are designed to provide good torque at low throttle or rpm.

Turbos can be set to spool earlier, if they are designed correctly. Early spooling turbos may use variable geometry, ball bearings, and specifically designed plumbing. The turbo aspect ratio and design is tuned exactly to the engine, and this is done by the factory. This type of work is beyond the scope of the weekend tuner. Aftermarket turbos just can't be as well matched as a major car manufacturer would. You would be lucky to have a aftermarket turbo to spool up to full boost by 3000 rpm.
Old 24th June 2008, 01:29   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
I cannot tell you what size tire to run. You will have to look at what is available similar to your tire size. Perhaps a 195 15 60 or 195 15 50 would work. About 12 to 15 mm smaller overall diameter would be a safe bet. A 25 mm reduction is a large one and you would have to be careful about ground clearance issues.

Just changing the front tires should do the trick since yours is a front wheel drive.
Gaurav - A problem he'll encounter with narrower front tyres on a car like the Cedia will be understeer. While it might not be a problem on Jeep's it'll certainly be frustrating on a well handling car like the Cedia.
Old 24th June 2008, 01:33   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Gaurav - A problem he'll encounter with narrower front tyres on a car like the Cedia will be understeer. While it might not be a problem on Jeep's it'll certainly be frustrating on a well handling car like the Cedia.

Well then he can change all 4 tires.

Jeeps always have all 4 tires of the same size due to the 4 wheel drive.
Old 24th June 2008, 02:00   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
Well then he can change all 4 tires.

Jeeps always have all 4 tires of the same size due to the 4 wheel drive.
Any idea on how Sedans behave handling wise when this kind of downsizing the profile is done just for the front wheels?
Old 24th June 2008, 03:20   #27
BHPian

ECU Standalone , CAM , Clutch , engine swap . . . I dont think you want to go turbo on a Mitsubishi ?
Old 24th June 2008, 04:06   #28
BHPian

I am not looking at an Engine Swap or a turbo at this point in time. And whats wrong with mitsus n turbos?
Regards,
TG.
Old 24th June 2008, 04:36   #29
Senior - BHPian

I think you are fast approaching the area where your ever-increasing mods will give you ever decreasing "grunt return" per rupee spent. Maybe time to look for a new screamer?

I somewhat disagree on the turbo issue. There are modern 2 stage turbos and variable turbos that are "instant on" and do supply low end torque. But they are EXPENSIVE.
Old 24th June 2008, 07:10   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I think you are fast approaching the area where your ever-increasing mods will give you ever decreasing "grunt return" per rupee spent. Maybe time to look for a new screamer?

I somewhat disagree on the turbo issue. There are modern 2 stage turbos and variable turbos that are "instant on" and do supply low end torque. But they are EXPENSIVE.
Finally.. Someone who got what i have been tryin to say...

Most Viewed