Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2008, 19:37   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Would a Fuel Pressure Regulator help?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
One more solution, put in a Fuel Pressure Regulator and run slightly higher fuel pressure, this should take care of the low end...
Guess that answers my question. This is something you could think about TG. Relatively low cost option, given the other ones being discussed. Should cost around 7-8k I think for a good FPR (example: SARD). I got one for my Lancer, which suffers from a similar poor low-end response (the difference being, in the Cedia you have a nice top-end to look forward to ) I plan to fit it later in the week. Will post a review on my project thread soon after.
Old 24th June 2008, 19:59   #47
BHPian

You never mentioned where you lack punch. Low end means different for diff people. What rpm range are you looking?

I agree mostly with what Iceman said.

1. Quick Spooling turbos will give you the low end that you need.
2. Cam with a different profile - though very diff to find cams for low end apps...except for SUVs
3. Calculated and Tuned headers
4. Port and polish job on head
5. Standalone ECU

Turbos are you best bet.
Old 24th June 2008, 20:02   #48
Senior - BHPian

Cedia's low end i.e. upto 1800-2000rpm or so is pretty poor. Beyond that it accelerates like a train and beyond 4000rpm its completely awesome and continues upto 5800 or so beyond which it fizzles out.
Old 24th June 2008, 22:50   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfire View Post
@ RedMM - Is there any thing like this in general? It is because you are not changing the dia of your disc, right? A big dia tyre having a small dia disc will have pathetic braking because of the less stopping power/torque applied on the disc. Otherwise is there anything like this as a theory?

But then why are people going for free flow filters and exhaust to increase low end torque? What I understand, for example, a stock petrol swift with OE air filter and exhaust manifold is never able to catch up one with a free flow filter and good exhaust system with headers. Isn't manufacturers doing this for cost cutting / emission norms, efficiency or detuning? Or are you saying that a moded car is not really having any advantage in low end torque, but just a feeling of it due to more free revving engine which reaches higher RPMs faster than a stock car? I really would like to know as I am planning for a FFE.

Regarding the braking vs. tire diameter: Assuming that the brake disc/caliper does not change, going to a smaller tire diameter will improve or reduce the stopping distance.

I know I am starting to sound like a broken record because I am stubbornly repeating myself regarding low end torque. But I will stick to me earlier assertions that NONE of the performance mods mentioned will improve low end torque or driveability. Conversely all the the mention mods, whether it be, ECM, headers, cotton gauze air filter, fuel pressure, cold air induction, only serve to improve MAX power which is in the higher RPM range (typically > 3000 rpm). So trying to figure out how to regain the lost low end torque is a bit funny since you just did mods to eliminate it.

Modern cars are tuned by the factory to run most efficiently at very low rpm for economy reasons. What do I mean by low rpm? Just above stalling, which is about 1000 rpm to about 2000 rpm. Think about how you drive when you are about to run out of fuel and there is no fuel station in sight. You barely keep the motor rpm above the stall point and have a very light foot on the accelerator: This is what manufacturers tune the motor to run at, and base their fuel economy numbers on.

So to answer your question, yes modded cars do not have any advantage at low end torque.
Old 24th June 2008, 23:32   #50
Senior - BHPian

Sure shot way to increase your low end torque: Up the compression

And from reading your posts on the thread you started when you got the headers i think what you've got there is a pipe that kicks in from the midrange and climbs till the top end. If that's the case then obviously you can't expect much low end torque.

Last edited by Sankar : 24th June 2008 at 23:36.
Old 25th June 2008, 23:58   #51
BHPian

@All of you guys
My tuner had done an awesome job. i asked for an overall increase in torque and mid range power. I got exactly that, What i wanted to know was further optimization for just stretching that low end pick up for the 4g94 block without losing out on my top end( i enjoy the high revs absolutely). The stock air filter is an option, its intake is very well designed, but i don't want to give up the typhoon kit at any cost . The next option for me is routing the intake to a cooler positing, or routing cool air from the air dams to the head of the intake. I think thats my first priority for now. Let me try it and see how it feels.
Thanks guys.
Old 25th June 2008, 23:59   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Sure shot way to increase your low end torque: Up the compression

And from reading your posts on the thread you started when you got the headers i think what you've got there is a pipe that kicks in from the midrange and climbs till the top end. If that's the case then obviously you can't expect much low end torque.
Spot on bro, you are spot on. I totally get that point. Just that i took time getting it
Regards,
TG.
Old 26th June 2008, 00:00   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Cedia's low end i.e. upto 1800-2000rpm or so is pretty poor. Beyond that it accelerates like a train and beyond 4000rpm its completely awesome and continues upto 5800 or so beyond which it fizzles out.
I second that totally.
Old 26th June 2008, 01:04   #54
Senior - BHPian

@gaurav
Disagree.. Just drive my car.. @tg if not mistaken psycho has done your headders right.. If so they are tuned for top end and high revs just ask him to redo them.

Last edited by iceman91 : 26th June 2008 at 01:09.
Old 26th June 2008, 05:35   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91 View Post
@gaurav
Disagree.. Just drive my car.. @tg if not mistaken psycho has done your headders right.. If so they are tuned for top end and high revs just ask him to redo them.
I know, we should just agree to disagree. But Sankar is absolutely right about the compression ratio. And I should also add that there is no better substitute than cubic inches for low end power.

By the way, you should drive my 340. No lag or any low rpm drop in torque or horsepower. I tuned it myself, and it pulls really hard right from idle to redline.....and that's without using nitrous.

Cheers,
Old 26th June 2008, 10:41   #56
Senior - BHPian

lol..would love to had my eye set on a jeep but guess what ended up buying my old baleno back. still in good nick, lets see how it comes out in a couple of weeks

well gaurav thats there have to agree on something ...lol
cheers
Old 26th June 2008, 11:43   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91 View Post
@gaurav
Disagree.. Just drive my car.. @tg if not mistaken psycho has done your headers right.. If so they are tuned for top end and high revs just ask him to redo them.
Hi iceman,
The point is, to get whatever Increase low end without compromising on the high end i have now, 4g94 is more of a high end churner right. I really don't wanna lose out on the mid and high end i have right now. So for me, its gonna be feeding in cooler air right now...emmm hope it makes some difference. Will keep you guys posted soon after its done ok.
Old 26th June 2008, 12:13   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Guess that answers my question. This is something you could think about TG. Relatively low cost option, given the other ones being discussed. Should cost around 7-8k I think for a good FPR (example: SARD). I got one for my Lancer, which suffers from a similar poor low-end response (the difference being, in the Cedia you have a nice top-end to look forward to ) I plan to fit it later in the week. Will post a review on my project thread soon after.
Good option, but will this void the warranty on a new car?
Old 26th June 2008, 12:34   #59
BHPian

Two things can help your low end torque.
1. get your the intake near the radiator or towards the wheel well. This really helps. use the factory fitted air scoop and air box and try to place the filter inside the airbox. The air scoop was used for a purpose!
2. Use Higher octane fuel.

Costlier mods would be changing the intake with tuned runners and a bigger throttle body. This would need a ECU remap to work together.
Old 26th June 2008, 12:45   #60
BHPian

@shazicon,
Hi. I run on high octane only.
Regards,
TG.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks