Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2008, 20:45   #1
BHPian

Increase the low end pick up

Hi guys,
I want to know from the gurus, what are the options to increase the low end power of my car. I have noticed that in the CEDIA, the low end pick up was never great..what I mean is its sluggish off the blocks. The engine is nice and responsive yes...but a little bit extra low end power would make me smile a little bit wider
Also please advice me on positioning my Filter intake to a cooler place. Right now as many of our fellow bhpians have told me, its in a pretty hot place.
Increase the low end pick up-dsc01848-copy.jpg
Does anyone know whether its possible to coat the headers with ceramic?
Regards,
TG.

Last edited by Torqueguru : 23rd June 2008 at 20:54.
Old 23rd June 2008, 20:49   #2
Team-BHP Support

well you already have a free flow and and air filter. so check out a stand alone ecu. it would definitely improve the power and torque of your car.
Old 23rd June 2008, 22:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

with all the stuff like FFE and intake mods, you still want the low end grant than only one way to go... get a stand alone system so you can get a MAP according to your driving style.
Old 23rd June 2008, 22:29   #4
BHPian

First of all your air filter is way too close to the hottest part of the engine, the exhaust manifold. You need to run a pipe from your throttle body to as far to one side and towards the front of the engine bay as is possible. Then add a sheet metal L shaped section to shield your inlet filter from the rest of the engine bay. If possible, run a duct from the side or front to your filter the get cold air.

The way to get better bottom end power is to re-gear to a numerically higher gear ratio. This may not be available for your Mitsubishi, so the other way is run smaller diameter tires in the front. But keep in mind this will also affect your ground clearance, and may reduce top speed, and increase fuel consumption. Good news is that this will also improve braking.

Going back to your stock airbox and restrictive filter may also help with the low end, but my guess is you probably don't want to do that.
Old 23rd June 2008, 23:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

all the above except the stand alone ecm will help but very little. If you really need to increase low end grunt.. Than as your name says you need more torque.. This can be done by increasing cc or by adding turbo.. Which again has to be tuned to give you the increase torque at the lower band. Are you willin to do this is the question..
Old 23rd June 2008, 23:18   #6
Team-BHP Support

or change the header spec further south (not recommended), i think routing the air intake to a cooler area will give you slightly better edge. Replacement filter in stock air box will be the best option.
Old 23rd June 2008, 23:25   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91 View Post
all the above except the stand alone ecm will help but very little. If you really need to increase low end grunt.. Than as your name says you need more torque.. This can be done by increasing cc or by adding turbo.. Which again has to be tuned to give you the increase torque at the lower band. Are you willin to do this is the question..

I totally disagree. A new or modified ECM will not help at all. You can be sure that the stock ECM is tuned for max low end torque, since this is how typical cars are normally driven.

A turbo will also not help at all at the low end. Most turbos only get going above 3k rpm. In fact most turbo applications call for reducing the compression ratio which will further reduce low end power.
Old 23rd June 2008, 23:27   #8
BHPian

You have got the headers done custom, hopefully you told the fabricator to design it for low-end grunt. This was the basic for low-end grunt.
And the filter is too close to the engine block and for sure sucking in a lot of hot-air. Try and get an enclosure designed for it.
The best method is to get hold of or make a big air-box that can accomodate the air-filter in it and make a routing from underneath the bumper to the air-box to suck in cold-air. You would definitly feels a difference.

Apart from these ensure the clutch plates are in good condition.
Old 23rd June 2008, 23:28   #9
Team-BHP Support

How's the high end acceleration? If there's more high end and less low end it means your headers are setup more for higher rpm's. If it's tuned for low then really you shouldn't have any problem.

Cedia's low end is not great I agree with you. Took me a while to get used to it compared to my 4g15 lancer.
Old 23rd June 2008, 23:32   #10
BHPian

Hi guys,

@akshay1234
@dinar
Point noted.

@RedMM340
@Jaggu
So you recon the stock air box in cedia is way better right. I too think so actually. The typhoon kit piping is not pointing away from the manifold as u can see. But yeah i love the grunting sound it makes and i am not too keen(as you rightly said!) on giving it up, but if its the only way out then i gotta live with it i guess.

Regards,
TG.
Old 23rd June 2008, 23:35   #11
BHPian

@RedMM340

"run smaller diameter tires in the front. But keep in mind this will also affect your ground clearance, and may reduce top speed, and increase fuel consumption. Good news is that this will also improve braking."

I am not too clear of what you say my friend, could you please elaborate?
Regards,
TG.
Old 23rd June 2008, 23:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

stock ecm's are tuned for maximum efficiency. Not maximum torque. Also please read what i have written. Turbos can be set to spool earlier.
Old 23rd June 2008, 23:45   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueguru View Post
@RedMM340

"run smaller diameter tires in the front. But keep in mind this will also affect your ground clearance, and may reduce top speed, and increase fuel consumption. Good news is that this will also improve braking."

I am not too clear of what you say my friend, could you please elaborate?
Regards,
TG.
Smaller tires are the same effect of a numerically higher gear ratio. This will increase acceleration from a standing start and while rolling.

The fact that smaller diameter tires will reduce ground clearance is obvious.

Smaller tires will also cause the engine rpm to be higher for a given speed than larger tires. This may increase fuel consumption, but may not depending on how you drive, upshift, and your typical cruising speed. Wont make much difference if your rpm is low in top gear.

Small diameter tires will also improve your braking. Just the opposite is true for larger tires, and I know this for a fact running oversize tires on Jeeps. But keep in mind that the improvement will just one size smaller tires will be small, and you may not realize it unless you know the limitations of your current brakes. This would mean race track driving or rally driving where you push your brakes to the limit of their capabilities.
Old 23rd June 2008, 23:45   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
How's the high end acceleration? If there's more high end and less low end it means your headers are setup more for higher rpm's. If it's tuned for low then really you shouldn't have any problem.

Cedia's low end is not great I agree with you. Took me a while to get used to it compared to my 4g15 lancer.
The acceleration is very good above 4000 rpm. It just takes off. Also their is a phenomenal increase in torque, the car never switches off (which was frequent before my header job was done) at low gears while moving slow. But when i am in first gear to second...i am finding it sluggish. Third onwards no issues. I suspect giving in cooler air is my best bet for now.

Regards,
TG.
Old 23rd June 2008, 23:52   #15
BHPian

@RedMM340
"But keep in mind that the improvement will just one size smaller tires will be small, and you may not realize it unless you know the limitations of your current brakes. This would mean race track driving or rally driving where you push your brakes to the limit of their capabilities."
My tyre config is 205 15 60, according to what you say, what shold be the front and rear tyre configs be?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks