Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2008, 19:46   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
Caught fire You are scaring me man, if after spending a good amount of money on my beloved first car, then watch all of it go up in flames!!!
Ok! Another reason to change my mind!

BTW any idea on the specs of these engines, this one looks small and the air-intake is way too long.
oh dont get me wrong the reason i told you that was most of the cases i heard about the toyota catching fire was mainly due to bad install and bad install stuff used.
if its done correctly with good parts i dont see any problem for worry.

also have you driven any toyota swapped cars since they get pretty noisy both inside and outside since one can stand a good 10-15 feet away from the car and make out the distinctive toyota diesel noise.

the one in the picture have no clue about the specs.
Old 4th July 2008, 20:38   #32
BHPian

Ikon did come with 1.8L diesel engine, how about getting that?
Old 4th July 2008, 22:51   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Rocam View Post
Ikon did come with 1.8L diesel engine, how about getting that?
The 1.8L diesel i believe is a non-turbo version and sluggish as well but on the other hand cost of maintenence would be much lesser as compared to a Toyota engine as that has to be taken to one person only or some one with good expertise and also sourcing wear and tear parts would be a problem and reliability can be an issue.
The 1.8L can be easily serviced at Ford.
But even if i get that engine and also turbo it, the cost involved will almost touch 1.5-2lacs in which i could buy a second hand car easily at half that price.
Old 6th July 2008, 16:03   #34
BHPian

Guys had a chat with Ishaan the other day and am thankful to him to have suggested not to go in for such modifications due to reliability issues etc and also the money i have already spent on my car so it wont be a good idea to spend more on a Ford and i should look for a Jap car or as i wanted- a diesel.(Our secret Ishaan to whack a VRs!!!)
And i gave it a thought myself and sell off the Ford and save for a new car.

Thanks a Ton Ishaan!!
Old 6th July 2008, 16:20   #35
Senior - BHPian

i had a zen with a transplanted engine and i have seen these engine in ikons and i would say don't do it
it wouldn't last you more than a year

i had my zen for 6 months its engine just packed up one day and i had to sell it for a few thousands
Old 6th July 2008, 17:31   #36
Senior - BHPian

There are many people like me who are following this thread closely. If you are doing this change over, then do update on this thread as I was also thinking of the same from quite some time. But how about the parts availability after you plonk it with Diesel heart?
Old 6th July 2008, 18:18   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
There are many people like me who are following this thread closely. If you are doing this change over, then do update on this thread as I was also thinking of the same from quite some time. But how about the parts availability after you plonk it with Diesel heart?
After a good thought i have decided not to. Forget parts availability because that is going to be zero, Toyota India would definately not be selling any of these engine parts other than matching specs, also sourcing them would be another very big issue, all you would get is "juggard" or makeshift jobs to that engine and so reliabity and safety would be a major issue, which i am not ready to compromise upon.
I wanted a diesel to run like a workhorse in city and out of it aswell and it would be a good idea to get a new car instead of a transplant.
With a swapped engine, no one can even gurantee it would go 10kms from the garrage after fitment. More so i was looking for a "Performance Diesel" and thats not what i would get from these Toyota Engine as they seem to be built for FE.
Apart from this lets assume i plonked the engine and all is well till 2-3monts and out of the blue something goes wrong with the engine and it requires a part to be replaced without which the engine refuses to run, then that would mean its left standing, me without without a car scouting for that part, then i find that its unavailable and even a makeshift job is not possible, then i am left with nothing but a huge bulk of metal(including the car, assuming that i had sold off or disposed the original block.) Which i then have to sell off to the nearest "kabadiwala". And sit and sob for all the money i spent on the engine swap and the little i got out of selling the scrap and most important the loss of a good car which i could have easily sold off at if not anything atleast a lakh and that could have made the downpayment for a new diesel vehicle.

I am definately not in for any diesel engine swaps for my car now.
Old 7th July 2008, 14:33   #38
BHPian

Haha Abhik, now I know what took you so long to respond to our "modding plans"

I didn't know all this was cooking up in your mind, good that you have decided not to mod the Ikon, it's always better to save your money to get something reliable, that exists 'as is' and then take it up from there, as a new project probably, to extract more power/FE/whatever your heart desires.

Sent you a PM, waiting for your response since my "modding Plans" stay intact.
Old 8th July 2008, 19:11   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
Haha Abhik, now I know what took you so long to respond to our "modding plans"

I didn't know all this was cooking up in your mind, good that you have decided not to mod the Ikon, it's always better to save your money to get something reliable, that exists 'as is' and then take it up from there, as a new project probably, to extract more power/FE/whatever your heart desires.

Sent you a PM, waiting for your response since my "modding Plans" stay intact.
Dont worry bro am with you and now OUR modding plans stay intact as they are!! Have responded to your PM.
Old 11th August 2008, 15:21   #40
BHPian

My appologies to bring up an old thread but was just a little curious about an engine, specifically the Toyota 3C-TE Diesel engine.
Did'nt want to start up a new thread hence reviving an old one as its related.

Most of the diesel swaps i have come accross have been Toyota engines. The last one was a Honda Civic old gen(not available here, probably bought from an embassy)has a Toyota diesel in it.
Then another guy told me a Corolla current gen was replace with a 3C-TE engine aswell as a MS Gypsy.
The Corolla has been running for 3 years with that engine and the Gypsy for more than a year and both delivering phenominal mileage figures like 22-25kmpl in the city with A/C which was too good to be true but nevertheless i pressume FE figures are around these numbers as most of the people quote such figures also previously posted by a fellow member so i can believe it to an extent.

I Googled up a search and found a variant of the 3C-TE series engines which is a 2.2L Turbo-charged version making 101BHP @ 4200RPMs. I am not too sure about the figures, they were listed on a website.
This engine mainly was used on a mini-van named Toyota Estima. But is widely used for swaps.

Unfortunately have not yet met a direct user of these swapped engines to get a first hand information and check out the cars themselves. The Civic's engine was looking in a very good condition and whoever installed it did a neat job as nothing looked "juggard" to me.
Anybody has any information related to this engine including tech specs and related info.
I know that in Delhi these works are carried out in Mayapuri area(famous for old engines and parts) and the guy who fit the Gypsy with a Toyota engine quoted 20K for the Toyota Engine including its overhaulling and refurbishing and 10K for his old Gypsy engine which covered the labour cost.
The registration can be done outside Delhi but IF i ever get the engine swapped in an Ikon then my RC has the last 7 digits of the chasis number as the engine number. All cars (atleast most of the ones i have seen) have a separate engine and chasis number but i could'nt find the engine number on the Ikon and neither could the insurance guys so the RC states the last 7 digits as the chasis number as the engine number. If not anybody else atleast the cops wont get to know, if i put a ROCAM/ENDURA logo on the head-cover he could compare it with another Ikon.
But i have no clue if these engine swapped cars can be insured and how can one pass PUC for an unregistered diesel car with previously a petrol engine ?
All things done but how does one get the ECU/ECM? Does it come with the engine.
I had managed to search through websites and came across a site where OBD error codes for the 3C-TE engine were listed but lost the site.

Waiting for your inputs guys!
Old 11th August 2008, 15:37   #41
Senior - BHPian

Aare bhai! phir se mind change kar deya kya? So, you have not totally given up the idea of swapping with diesel engine.
Old 11th August 2008, 19:21   #42
BHPian

I can see the future, you will be selling your icon for 12K negotiable. C'mon you got a great 1.6 Rocam. I am not sure if you spend a lot because you drive 1500kms a month. How much would you need to fill up. You have probably already destroyed the engine after getting CNG into it and you will further destroy the car if you plonk a diesel.

This is a strict NO. The more you leave the car in original condition, the better service/ride/mileage it will deliver. Yes and the resale value too. How can you imagine a neighborhood garage do all this for you, that too after installing an old repaired diesel engine and provide you with refinement levels more than a Mahindra 540DP. These projects perfectly suit an old premier padmini or an old jeep, not an Ikon 1.6.

God bless your car and your thoughts!
Old 11th August 2008, 20:45   #43
BANNED

I think swaping a diesel engine not a difficult task but what about RTO formalites. I am also a diesel fan. But can anybody suggest if RTO will know about the engine change. What will be the fine or they will take the car to their custody. Is there any other way to endrose engine no in RC Book?
Old 14th August 2008, 11:19   #44
BHPian

@snaronikar- Well the idea was still lurking at the back of my mind and i was thinking about all the possible technicalities involved against the monetary feasability but read on...

@abhi1309- Bro i am very content with CNG on my Ikon as i had gone through a lot of research technically and analysed all pros and cons before i decided to fit in CNG and BTW CNG DOES NOT DESTROY/AFFECT the engine life in any ways whatsoever, you just experience a 10-15% power loss and the engine will run the same as it would on petrol.
Only the limited availability of CNG restricts me to the city whereas i want to explore all adjoining cities and make lots of highway trips for which i need a diesel car.

@mituadas-this is exactly what has now definately changed my mind against the swap read on...
Old 14th August 2008, 11:46   #45
BHPian

Yesterday i went to Mayapuri area to acout for a Toyota 3N-TE engine. The place was messy as it was raining very heavy and the absence of paved roads made the place very diry with slush all over. Thankfully we had taken my brother's Astra and he reaaly does'nt mind getting it dirty.

So i just went up to this guy to ask whereabouts of these dealers/mechanics who sold/overhauled these engines. Now this guy was sitting amongst a series of shop which made Jeeps(All kinds, mostly M&Ms)more like refurbish and remake them. He told me the whereabouts for thye people who could get me a Toyota Diesel, casually i asked him that could he get me one as he made Jeeps retrofitted with Nissan Diesels to which he started asking me details about my own car and told me that he could get me a Nissan engine if i wanted one. Then while in conversation, when probably he realised that i was technically sound to an extent and knew what i was talking he suddenly said "Bhaisahab! Meri mano to app ye mat karvao!" which means "Sir! Trust me, dont get this done!".
This was rather shocking for me as i was a potential customer for him who was looking for an engine swap and he could easily earn 30-50K, and he was saying no.
I asked him why do you say so? He said that 7yrs back he had a Gypsy with a Nissan Diesel which the cops had caught in a regular checking drive. That Gypsy did not have any paper doccumentation approving the swap, no PUC as the car was originally petrol and no diesel variant came in Gypsy,no insurance as the car did not have the engine number matching and obviously the RC read the petrol specs as till date a petrol engine vehicle cannot be registered with a diesel engine in Delhi.
7Yrs back he paid 20K(bribe) to get back his Gypsy from the cops and later after a few months from that incident the Gypsy was impounded, so he never saw the face of it again.
He also said that the transplant is never a problem but was i willing to take that much of a risk?
My mind raced through this question and all that he said and the answer was a straight NO! All my plans got deleted immidiately.

The guy was right in all respects. My car is a daily driver and its too much of a risk to take legally. Rather i save money for a new diesel Getz CRDi.

Most Viewed