Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2008, 10:23   #1
BHPian

Scorpio 7 seater conversion to 8 seater

Just purchased a used 2005 2.6t SLX 7 seater.

Is it possible to replace the middle row seats with the current sliding & reclining ones? Or would this be too expensive ? Is it a direct fit?

On the other hand, cut out the current seat floor pillars and reweld them 4" towards the rear, but that means no recline feature.

Your views on this would be a great help deciding which way to go.

Thanks in advance.
Old 8th July 2008, 10:35   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohnish View Post
Just purchased a used 2005 2.6t SLX 7 seater.

Is it possible to replace the middle row seats with the current sliding & reclining ones? Or would this be too expensive ? Is it a direct fit?

On the other hand, cut out the current seat floor pillars and reweld them 4" towards the rear, but that means no recline feature.

Your views on this would be a great help deciding which way to go.

Thanks in advance.
Check it out with a mahindra dealership. Such changes can be done by them. Though i woudnt advise them.
Old 8th July 2008, 12:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

will it be allowed by the RTO? 8 seater would be bringing it into the commercial vehicle territory, and they may frown on it ....
Old 9th July 2008, 08:07   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Check it out with a mahindra dealership. Such changes can be done by them. Though i woudnt advise them.
Cyrus 43, completely agree with you on the dealership part. A local shop would most likely mess htings up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
will it be allowed by the RTO? 8 seater would be bringing it into the commercial vehicle territory, and they may frown on it ....
Greenhorn, I understand that 8 seater is for private and commercial use.
7 seater is limited to private use.

Another thought:

Remove the two rear side facing seats completely
Shift the current centre bench all the way to the back (as it is in the current 8 seater version)
In the centre row, add two buckets (like the front row).

This would retain the 7 seater arrangement for the RTO and also provide the recline and leg room for the centre row...

What say?
Old 9th July 2008, 10:45   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Shift the current centre bench all the way to the back (as it is in the current 8 seater version)
In the centre row, add two buckets (like the front row).
Is there enough width at the rear to fit the center bench? If so, this is an awesome solution. Presumably, the middle row will be used more often than the rear bench. Adjustable bucket seats will be far more comfortable to use. However, lack of legroom will make the third row best for two passengers only.
Old 9th July 2008, 10:57   #6
BHPian

The middle seat primarily needs the mounting bracket to be changed to make it slide back. See if you can source just this.

Moving the middle seat backward will need serious modifications. I would avoid.

The Scorpio third seat will need a couple of mounts that allow it to be removed/folded. I believe it is available in the market.
Additionally try if you can get an innova third row. That folding mechanism is a much better design.

God knows which idiot designed the mounts for the scorpio third row. The moment the seat is folded, it loses the lock to the rear mount and the seat starts floating..

Last edited by prabhuav : 9th July 2008 at 11:00.
Old 9th July 2008, 19:00   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Is there enough width at the rear to fit the center bench?...
I 'presume' there should be enough width to fit in, considering the current vehicles are carrying this configuration...May be the design has been modified at factory level...will have to check and then move further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
...If so, this is an awesome solution. Presumably, the middle row will be used more often than the rear bench. Adjustable bucket seats will be far more comfortable to use. However, lack of legroom will make the third row best for two passengers only.
Hmmm! Agreed with you GTO, however, the third row is only in the event of excess passengers, which is not really often, infact almost never. Also, did'nt look into the problem of how to access the rear seats...Will have to have the mid row buckets fold forwards, hinging of the front floor pillars and lock down at the back...Will look into this. Thanks for your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
...The middle seat primarily needs the mounting bracket to be changed to make it slide back. See if you can source just this...
This is interesting...it would reduce the amount of effort and mess, but then I am still stuck without a recline feature, which is really great for long drives...

Quote:
...Moving the middle seat backward will need serious modifications. I would avoid...
Ok, so what you suggest is to stay with the present middle row and only add the sliding mechanism...Still without the recline feature...

Quote:
...The Scorpio third seat will need a couple of mounts that allow it to be removed/folded. I believe it is available in the market.
Additionally try if you can get an innova third row. That folding mechanism is a much better design....
Ok this sounds interesting...I add your suggestion of the scorpio or innova third row ( whichever is better) and put buckets in the centre row...What say?

Quote:
...God knows which idiot designed the mounts for the scorpio third row. The moment the seat is folded, it loses the lock to the rear mount and the seat starts floating..
So its held in place with straps when folded? Should have had anothe lock at the folded end...but then expense is a factor in design!!! Considering the price of the Scorpio, its got a lot for the price, not to mention the build quality....But thats another thread altogether!!!

Ok ... thanks , will let you'll know whats decided and will post accordingly in case anyone wants to follow in my tread... Keep the suggestions coming though...really helpful.

Thanks again.
Old 9th July 2008, 19:26   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
prabhuav : Moving the middle seat backward will need serious modifications. I would avoid.
Agree. The middle row bench will not be a direct fit at the rear. IIRC, the seat/bench used in these two positons is different - height & width wise also.
Quote:
prabhuav : Additionally try if you can get an innova third row. That folding mechanism is a much better design.
Though of a better design, I suspect this will not fit into the Scorp.
Old 9th July 2008, 20:15   #9
BHPian

Ok, going through the previous posts actually leaves me with only the following option as of now, until I do a bit of actual market research.

Purchase a set of mid row (sliding / recling) seats and also a set of third row seats and fit them, either after market or from the dealership.

This would get kind of expensive, considering I am actually discarding the current mid row

Ok, as said earlier...all decisions after a bit of researech at the dealers and at the local markets.
Old 9th July 2008, 22:41   #10
BHPian

How about fitting 4 captain chairs, two each for the middle & rear row?
Old 9th July 2008, 23:05   #11
BANNED

its very much possible guys i saw one scorpio with that set up he moved the middle row to back and didnt put anything in between basically for more leg room

even saw a scorpio with bucket seats but with this setup there will be not much leg room for the third row.

Try goin to a fabricator who does some mountiungs ..
Old 10th July 2008, 09:16   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post
How about fitting 4 captain chairs, two each for the middle & rear row?
Yeah ! Sounds interesting...but then the last row any way cannot have a recline, so really no point in reducing the seating capacity...and the buckets will, I assume, cost more than a bench (maybe?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenopio View Post
...i saw one scorpio with that set up he moved the middle row to back and didnt put anything in between basically for more leg room...
Thanks Zenopio, great legroom, but again no recline and worse still, not a good place to be sitting on top of the rear axle...
Old 10th July 2008, 11:39   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Mohnish : ... not a good place to be sitting on top of the rear axle...
Esp in a Scorp.

Suggest you not forget that in an Innova, the floor is (almost) flat till the rear end. Not so in a UV like the Scorp. The rear part of the vehicle (rear wheels & beyond have a higher floor than the center part where the first two rows are. This higher floor will change a lot of calculations when it comes to the seats we are discussing.
Old 10th July 2008, 12:55   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
... This higher floor will change a lot of calculations when it comes to the seats we are discussing.
Thanks Condor, had not at all taken that into account....Right, so as you wrote earlier, no way to get that 2nd row seat ito the 3rd...

Well, I figure the only option left is to buy the original sliding/reclining 2nd row and third row seats and hopefully they should fit in without too much messing.

Advice to myself: Go to the Mahindra workshop and talk to them which will figure things out!!!
Old 13th July 2008, 11:33   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

@Mohnish, check with Ramkya1 : looks like he has done it. Just read so in the Scorp pics thread, page 10.

Most Viewed