Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2008, 14:02   #16
Senior - BHPian

GTO - havent seen that, any links available??

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
KSM,

Have you seen San Motors Caterham replica? Poor implementation, but a great looking car nevertheless.
Old 10th July 2008, 14:08   #17
BHPian

Frankly speaking, it is a bad idea. Everything will be fine when everything is going on smooth, but my suggestion is dont try and do this since you may landup in problems incase of any issues (RTO etc).
Old 10th July 2008, 15:04   #18
Senior - BHPian

The first Summary

Hi Guys !!

Thanx for your inputs plz keep them coming, request you to inform other members who you think can contribute, can take away some lessons from this thread or are simply interested in such projects.

From what i gather the following could be the prospective hurdles -

1. RTO approval
(I have no idea abt this plz help)
2. Budget
(I would like to keep the exp as low as possible, will try and find the most cost effective combination)
3. Finding the cars i need
(Again plz help, i dont see any cars here in mumbai...may be i dont know how to look)
4. Safety issues
(Will have to work on it)
5. Technical issues
- Chassis~Body compatibility
(As suggested by DKG and Ricky we can go in for the ladder frame chassis, but which body?)
- Knowledgeable and competent team
(know a mechanic who sounds very promising, plz suggest ur contacts in mumbai)
- Reliability
(will have to work on it)
- Performance
- Maintenance

GUYS PLZ SUGGEST SOLUTIONS FOR THE ABOVE PROBLEMS
ALSO, PLZ FEEL FREE TO ADD TO THE LIST OF PROBLEM AREAS

Would luv it if the final beauty looks like any of these >>>
Attached Thumbnails
The Modern Vintage Car-images.jpg  

The Modern Vintage Car-images1.jpg  

Old 10th July 2008, 17:11   #19
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemanth View Post
Frankly speaking, it is a bad idea. Everything will be fine when everything is going on smooth, but my suggestion is dont try and do this since you may landup in problems incase of any issues (RTO etc).
At the turn of the past century world over small garages at homes were bustling with similar activity where innovators worked relentlessly fabricating parts and making cars. Had it not been for such fervour we wouldn't see half the cars we drive on the road today. Some of the greatest machines ever built came from the drawing boards of small time mechanics or engineers who started small. So its never ever a bad idea to innovate and experiment. What do you lose? At best some money! What do you gain? A rich experience unrivalled by any automotive endeavour.

I think India is at the right stage where a little cottage industry activity should emerge. It could be hot rodding, it could be performance modifications, or custom body building.

To anyone wanting to do such stuff I'd say go for it. You'll only gain from such an experience.

Quote:
Have you seen San Motors Caterham replica? Poor implementation, but a great looking car nevertheless.
GTO if you ever get a chance to drive a Caterham do it. They are an absolute riot. I would love to bring in a kit and build one myself. Awesome fun!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th July 2008 at 22:39. Reason: Please use EDIT while posting within 15 mts
Old 10th July 2008, 18:45   #20
Senior - BHPian

Now that is what i call encouragement!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
At the turn of the past century world over small garages at homes were bustling with similar activity where innovators worked relentlessly fabricating parts and making cars. Had it not been for such fervour we wouldn't see half the cars we drive on the road today. Some of the greatest machines ever built came from the drawing boards of small time mechanics or engineers who started small. So its never ever a bad idea to innovate and experiment. What do you lose? At best some money! What do you gain? A rich experience unrivalled by any automotive endeavour.

I think India is at the right stage where a little cottage industry activity should emerge. It could be hot rodding, it could be performance modifications, or custom body building.

To anyone wanting to do such stuff I'd say go for it. You'll only gain from such an experience.
Old 10th July 2008, 20:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hey !!!!

Once my Belair project is complete - I'll put up pictures of the same & then you tell me what you or anyone else thinks of it. It should work out a totally reliable everyday drive.

A one of a kind eyeball grabbing airconditioned 50's american car !!

It'l bear the regn number of the chasis car, the body would be of the belair !! The endorsement will be made on the RC - though don't ask me how !!!!

Dream on, buddy....coz if you dream is ONLY when you will

Cheers
Old 10th July 2008, 21:15   #22
Senior - BHPian

KSM-vtec, get a gypsy chassis and than work on it, with the body of the car you want , these are very strong, and can be lowered.
If you want something like standard Herald, you can do the same or get the body strengthen by adding a 1 inch seamless pipe cage under the body, this should do the job, only thing is the fabricator should know how to hide the pipes in the interior.
By the way what car are you looking for, if you have specs, please post the detail [L,W,H] I may be able to provide you with solutions.
Old 10th July 2008, 21:23   #23
Senior - BHPian

@ dinar - i dont have any specific car in mind. it would be great if you could suggest some cars which look like the ones in post #18 and would work on the gypsy chasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
KSM-vtec, get a gypsy chassis and than work on it, with the body of the car you want , these are very strong, and can be lowered.
If you want something like standard Herald, you can do the same or get the body strengthen by adding a 1 inch seamless pipe cage under the body, this should do the job, only thing is the fabricator should know how to hide the pipes in the interior.
By the way what car are you looking for, if you have specs, please post the detail [L,W,H] I may be able to provide you with solutions.
Old 10th July 2008, 21:48   #24
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
@ dinar - i dont have any specific car in mind. it would be great if you could suggest some cars which look like the ones in post #18 and would work on the gypsy chasses
May I suggest for your first project consider the pre 1935 tourers. The entire front end comes off and also the fenders leaving just a body cowl backward which you can easily graft onto the Gypsy chassis. Another advantage with the oldies was they rode high so the final ride height is quite similar to the Gypsy's.

For the 40's bodies you'd have to graft just the mechanicals as suiting a Gypsy frame to the body and lower it would entail a lot of work. Grafting the mechanicals is harder work.

Just consider the pre 1935 style cars like Fords or Austins.
Old 10th July 2008, 22:02   #25
Senior - BHPian

@ DKG- could you suggest some website or any other source where i could get some info abt the cars that you are suggesting.

Quote:
May I suggest for your first project consider the pre 1935 tourers. The entire front end comes off and also the fenders leaving just a body cowl backward which you can easily graft onto the Gypsy chassis. Another advantage with the oldies was they rode high so the final ride height is quite similar to the Gypsy's.

For the 40's bodies you'd have to graft just the mechanicals as suiting a Gypsy frame to the body and lower it would entail a lot of work. Grafting the mechanicals is harder work.

Just consider the pre 1935 style cars like Fords or Austins.
Old 10th July 2008, 22:20   #26
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ DKG- could you suggest some website or any other source where i could get some info abt the cars that you are suggesting.
Will try to fish out some pictures for you and post here. Karlosdeville is a gem here on TBHP for info on what cars you could consider. Xoticars has a hotrod project sitting in his yard. Perhaps we could get them to pitch in with suggestions. I think Behram Dhabar could also provide some insights
Old 11th July 2008, 14:43   #27
Senior - BHPian

I had Nice dodge pick in my mind along time ago, tried doing some work on it but lost interest after sometime as there was help and time.
I personally the HOTROD looks of car ,if building it [such a project] as there is a scope for individuality and one can go out and design the vehicle. And there is no problem in haunting for parts to match.
Do you want some with wire wheel or steel wheel, start from there. Wire wheel car, I like the 1930 desoto convertible.
try this site and see what you like.
Old Car and Truck Pictures, Memory Lane
Old 11th July 2008, 14:48   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
GTO - havent seen that, any links available??
Sure. Its called the Chinkara; here's a thread on it.

Quote:
GTO if you ever get a chance to drive a Caterham do it. They are an absolute riot. I would love to bring in a kit and build one myself. Awesome fun!
Sure will! When do you plan on getting the kit in?

I only wish that the Chinkara had better engineering go into it. The project has potential.
Old 11th July 2008, 15:01   #29
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sure will! When do you plan on getting the kit in?
A friend of mine had bought and assembled one in Dubai and I had the pleasure of driving his machine. I think our biggest problem here is the RTA not allowing you to register it.

Come to think of it an even more exciting option is the bush planes They cost around 15 to 20 lacs.

Once I am done with my camper project I do plan to convert a Gypsy into a roadster with motorcycle fenders and a boattailed body. Too many things to do too little time!!

Last edited by DKG : 11th July 2008 at 15:05.
Old 11th July 2008, 16:53   #30
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Here you go KSM-Vtec, something you should be able to successfully graft onto a Gypsy chassis. I think the dimensions are similar. You will find many options if this body style appeals to you.

The Modern Vintage Car-129497.jpg

The Modern Vintage Car-129498.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks