Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2008, 17:09   #31
BHPian

I remember seeing a esteem converted to beetle in Hunsur which had fibre fabricated bonnet and the metal body and i was bit interested in buying it and using it in the estate since it does not have valid RTO documents you cannot use it on the road. The guy had spent around 40K on the vehicle and was planning to sell it since the engine had ceased and he had to spend some more money onto it. Later after 1 month i was informed by the garage guy that it was sold for 30K.
Old 11th July 2008, 17:24   #32
BHPian

Hmmm.. This thread got me pondering. For starters, what came to my mind is a Contessa's chassis, well designed, good handler, awd configuration et al.

Look for a Vauxhall Wyvern or some similar body, which may be rusting, buy that and use the shell to make the mould for a fibreglass body. This is quite easy if we have the time and the right people (people should not be hard to find at all).

Modifications could be endless after that, or you could keep it a stock car (Contessa) and mod as time goes by, and when Vitamin 'M' flows through.

Oh how I wish my wife was a car buff too and that she enjoys the simple pleasures like a modern vintage car.

Out of dreamworld and back to work.
Old 12th July 2008, 11:20   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Here you go KSM-Vtec, something you should be able to successfully graft onto a Gypsy chassis. I think the dimensions are similar. You will find many options if this body style appeals to you
@ DKG - This perfect. Just wanted to know if if will be a good 4 seater. Also i am sure i can get a hard top with the similar design.

Hey Guys!!!

Looks like we are going good. Will try and see if i can get a gypsy from somewhere. But the tuffer hunt will be to find a vintage body that can be worked on. The dodge suggested by DGK looks good.

From your experience, could you guys tell me howmuch a project like this will cost?

Last edited by Rehaan : 31st July 2008 at 00:15. Reason: Merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of postnig another consecutive post.
Old 30th July 2008, 12:25   #34
Senior - BHPian

Come on guys wake up and plz help me out. Have been looking for the cars i need but havent been able to find any.
Old 30th July 2008, 21:55   #35
BHPian

Dude Advertise in the Classifieds for what ever you are looking for , the cost would workout to something above 3.5 lakhs. should end there and if u are thinking about doing something like that there must be 200% dedication to it. otherwise it will be just a money squandering exercise, or much worse "Extortion" as in the case of Steeroids Landmaster.
Old 31st July 2008, 10:59   #36
Senior - BHPian

Well i understand that i will have to put in a lot of efforts. But what do you think is the chance of there being an error in the project. Because i want to build a very cost effective car. With as little maint exp as possible.(may be as less as a maruti)

Quote:
Originally Posted by muneemmk View Post
Dude Advertise in the Classifieds for what ever you are looking for , the cost would workout to something above 3.5 lakhs. should end there and if u are thinking about doing something like that there must be 200% dedication to it. otherwise it will be just a money squandering exercise, or much worse "Extortion" as in the case of Steeroids Landmaster.
Old 20th August 2008, 12:36   #37
BHPian

There was an Morris Minor with Maruthi engine for sale in Coimbatore.
Don't know whether still available or not, PM me for contact details

Regards
Old 20th August 2008, 13:16   #38
DKG
Senior - BHPian

KSM Checkout the work done by Rizwan in Bombay and Mr. Mathew in Bangalore on the Caterham replicas. They've both done outstanding jobs and I even spoke with Mr. Mathew over the phone. He comes across as a most wonderful and helpful person. He may be able to guide you on how you could get started
Old 21st August 2008, 11:26   #39

Though in many states such kind of modification is carried out, I do not think that there is any official ruling/ provision in the law in this regard which permits you to modify your vehicle. Any modification is required to be marked in the RC of the vehicle by the Transport Authority. As I understand engine of another motor vehicle cannot be fitted to chassis of one vehicle. In Kerala, change from petrol to diesel is also not permitted. Engine change is permitted provided the replaced one is new supported by invoice/ DC etc. Correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,

Madhu.T.K
Old 21st August 2008, 12:15   #40
Senior - BHPian

well i beleive its not such a big problem but one has to write to the RTO and get permit. Which you will have to bribe for. But its possible to get such things done. The registration number of one of the cars is retained in such a case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhu.T.K View Post
Though in many states such kind of modification is carried out, I do not think that there is any official ruling/ provision in the law in this regard which permits you to modify your vehicle. Any modification is required to be marked in the RC of the vehicle by the Transport Authority. As I understand engine of another motor vehicle cannot be fitted to chassis of one vehicle. In Kerala, change from petrol to diesel is also not permitted. Engine change is permitted provided the replaced one is new supported by invoice/ DC etc. Correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,

Madhu.T.K
Are there any links available on Team BHP for the work they have done. Would be great if you could help me with their id here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
KSM Checkout the work done by Rizwan in Bombay and Mr. Mathew in Bangalore on the Caterham replicas. They've both done outstanding jobs and I even spoke with Mr. Mathew over the phone. He comes across as a most wonderful and helpful person. He may be able to guide you on how you could get started

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 21st August 2008 at 16:02. Reason: see note in post
Old 21st August 2008, 12:20   #41
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Are there any links available on Team BHP for the work they have done. Would be great if you could help me with their id here.
Try these links:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ade-india.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...i-seaface.html

Last edited by DKG : 21st August 2008 at 12:21.
Old 21st February 2009, 13:51   #42
BHPian

Creating a vintage or classic car from an old amby or tata estate

Folks,

This may sound strange or farfetched but I would like to build a vintage or classic car using the body of old amby or the tata estate.

I seek the answers to the below questions / concern points :

- Is it legal to do build such a car and does the RTO approve such cars built in this manner ?
- What would be the finer points to consider while planing such a project ?
- The cars I would like to build are Chevrolet Fleetmaster 1947-48 or the Chevrolet Nomad 1955 or any similar American long bonnet cars
- I plan to do this in budget range of Rs 3-3.5 lacs ; is this a fair estimate ?

Await your expert opinions on the above project.

Cheers,
Sanat

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks