Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2008, 17:00   #1
Senior - BHPian

Gauges for a Turbo Diesel

In terms of functionality what would be the ideal gauges one could have?

I was looking at :

2" Volt
2" Boost (psi/bar?)

^Seem the most straight forward to install as they dont require additional senders like oil/water temp etc.

Can the boost gauge be wired easily for the DDiS ?
Old 14th July 2008, 18:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

Sainik, since you are gonna lose your warranty with the voltmeter and boost gauge.
Let me suggest the oil pressure meter. Something I consider vital. always better to monitor engine parameters.

Last edited by GTO : 15th July 2008 at 10:15. Reason: ur = Your. No SMS please.
Old 14th July 2008, 20:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yes anna the warranty issue would loom over once installed.

Oil pressure one is definitely useful but Iv read reports that they occasionally burn the switch that indicates the OEM warning light on the instrument cluster. Also can the OEM light and gauge be wired to work simultaneously?

Volt is easy to install and hence the choice, chances of causing problems are also minimal.

Whats does installing a boost gauge entail??
Old 14th July 2008, 21:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also can the OEM light and gauge be wired to work simultaneously?
Yes, you can.
U need to fabricate a T-joint which has three openings. The centre one plugs into the where the OE oil pressure light switch was. The OE oil pressure light and the new gauge go into the other two ends.
Need to be careful with this one since u're fabricating stuff at a lathe shop. You shouldnt have oil leaks if the job is perfect.

About the boost gauge, you get to learn the engine and if there is any pressure leak and stuff,it will indicate on the meter. After all,that is what all meters are for.
Old 14th July 2008, 22:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

You can go in for A voltmeter,ammeter [both essentials for diesels ] as cranking power needed is huge, boost gauge is also good,Oil pressure and temperature gauge... if most important for a diesel is Exhaust gas temperature.... if you are thinking of modifying the engine later....
Old 15th July 2008, 04:05   #6
BANNED

What are you planning to do with the car Mr. Aniruddh??? I smell something fishy.

But on a serious note, Ain't it better to get a Pioneer HU which has all these meters in built?
Old 15th July 2008, 09:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Yes, you can.
U need to fabricate a T-joint which has three openings. The centre one plugs into the where the OE oil pressure light switch was. The OE oil pressure light and the new gauge go into the other two ends.
Need to be careful with this one since u're fabricating stuff at a lathe shop. You shouldnt have oil leaks if the job is perfect.

About the boost gauge, you get to learn the engine and if there is any pressure leak and stuff,it will indicate on the meter. After all,that is what all meters are for.
True Id read a little on this (t-joint) thats where the question of reliability came in. Of course Keshav will have a pukka solution. So will check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
You can go in for A voltmeter,ammeter [both essentials for diesels ] as cranking power needed is huge
Thanks for the input.. you meant amp meter right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
What are you planning to do with the car Mr. Aniruddh??? I smell something fishy.

But on a serious note, Ain't it better to get a Pioneer HU which has all these meters in built?
If anything snowflake will get a little more show and no go. Dont have any mods planned really.

Personally, I might just put in 2-3 RPM meters and go down to the local Ricer's hangout That beats the pioneer anyday! Hehheh

Actually this thread isnt entirely about my car, a friend is dreaming up some serious mods and is awaiting a Getz CRDi.
Old 15th July 2008, 09:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

Yes amp meter is ammeter..get the digital once...they look cool..
Old 15th July 2008, 09:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

Big Man, can you post a diagram of sorts for the 3-way T joint for a non-CRDe Scorpio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Yes, you can.
Old 15th July 2008, 13:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
Yes amp meter is ammeter..get the digital once...they look cool..
Yeah the autometer cobalt series digital voltmeter looks super cool but all that is paisa vasool. We are looking at getting what Nitroxx has on sale in the classified section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
can you post a diagram of sorts for the 3-way T joint for a non-CRDe Scorpio?
Here's a pic of a generic T-joint.
Attached Images

Old 14th August 2008, 01:00   #11
BHPian

you can install a voltmeter and turbo guage,i have done it for my 3lt dicor,and the best part is that it was done without voiding any warranty. Warranty becomes an issue if u cut/tamper with existing wiring,find a way around the same and you can install anything
Old 14th August 2008, 07:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

how do you install a boost gauge without any cutting/tampering?
I thought you needed a T joint somewhere
Old 14th August 2008, 08:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc1bad View Post
Warranty becomes an issue if u cut/tamper with existing wiring,find a way around the same and you can install anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
how do you install a boost gauge without any cutting/tampering?
Yes please explain what method you have used for the install it would help.

We have the meters but have refrained from install.
Old 14th August 2008, 11:34   #14
BHPian

well the turbo gauge needs a t-joint attached to the pressure pipe or watever it is called.My meters came with the required wiring,piping and sensor kits.The power for the meters can be taken directly from battery and ignition(from the car stereo wiring).As far as the t-joint is concerned, make sure you connect the existing piping to the joint and use new piping to connect the sensor and to the pressure valve. So incase something goes wrong u can use the original piping and connect it to the pressure valve.One thing you need to make sure is that if are goin for warranty claims make sure everything is returned to the original wiring.
Picture of my installation:
Attached Thumbnails
Gauges for a Turbo Diesel-dsc02045.jpg  

Last edited by nc1bad : 14th August 2008 at 11:46. Reason: add picture
Old 27th February 2014, 16:49   #15
BANNED

Re: Gauges for a Turbo Diesel

Raking up an old thread.

Has anyone in the recent times added the Turbo boost gauges to their cars?

I want to install one.

Anurag.

Most Viewed