Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2010, 11:46   #46
BHPian

Re: Need help Regarding MM540/550

Hi all,

Thanks for the inputs. I'll give it a try and get the Isuzu 5-speed gearbox mated to the engine. Let's see, and if there's a problem, well, there's a solution to every problem.

@ My experiment with boric acid has shown good results. The engine sounds much better compared to the harsh clatter that I had earlier. The gear shift is very smooth. The differential humming has ceased. I get better pick up in all gears although I dont use the Ist gear much. My 3rd gear moans, that's why I'm looking at replacing the gearbox.

Regarding mileage, I got 250+ kms on a trip to Srirangapatna & back last week with 6 people in the jeep on 20 litres of diesel. All in all, I am happy. No undesirable side effects. Rustic and unconventional, but this boric acid funda works !!

Will keep you posted about the gearbox swap.

Cheers

KD
Old 28th December 2010, 14:08   #47
BHPian

KD Sir,
its better to open and rework the KMT90 gearbox itself. the cost maynot be over 5-6k, in my opinion/experience. thats very well equal to getting a old isuzu GB secondhand. also if you change the diff ratio from 4.88 to 4.27 (ie from 44/9 to 47/11), you can get approx. 10-15kms more top speed in the 4th gear itself. the disadvantage is that you might need to use 1st gear from standstill, whereas i presume that you are using the 2nd gear now - from standstill. diff ratios cost approx. 2k in secondhand and 4.5k if bought new.(better exchange your old ones for new at approx 1.5k in gujri, best option)
Sir, pls try these 2 options and even after all these, if you are not satisfied, then go for isuzu GB conversion. i say this in earnest as its hard earned money and dont waste it on modifications that you might not feel worth, after it is done.
Old 28th December 2010, 23:20   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@shekaran:

Jeep gearboxes are not geared to take off in second gear. Can be done but you will burn out your clutch. Older Trucks are geared very high for load condition and an empty truck can easily take off in second gear.
Old 29th December 2010, 00:10   #49
BHPian

Tini Sir,
my mm540 just pulls cleanly in 2nd gear even in slight slopes. 99% i never use 1st gear. ali mech has kept the idle speed such that in 2nd, i need to release only the clutch and the jeep just crawls at 10kmph speeds, without any hiccups. i have asked this specifically, as this idea is useful in stop-go city traffic.
my clutch seems to be ok, after such settings, for the past 10k kms of running. i hope i have not done anything advert to spoil the clutch plate.
Old 29th December 2010, 18:09   #50
BHPian

@ Shekaran

Its the same with my jeep also. I rarely have to use the Ist gear. It starts moving smoothly from 2nd gear without any half clutching, the engine does'nt stall either.

I checked with my mech and he told me that overhauling my existing gearbox would cost approx. 10K, which is why I was thinking of swapping it for a 5-speed Isuzu.

My estimate is that it may cost me close to 10K or maybe little more to install the Isuzu gearbox, adaptor plate and other incidentals. But atleast, I'll have a 5th gear after all the jugaad.

Cheers

KD
Old 9th May 2011, 13:38   #51
Senior - BHPian

@KD: whats the update on your Gearbox?
Old 27th August 2011, 11:00   #52
BHPian

Got an offer of 1996 mm540

Dear fellow bhpians,

I am really quite excited about what I recently came across two days ago.
I am having A 1986 MM CJ500D with internation B275 engine with functional 4WD.It engine is counting its last breaths and spluttering automotive blood
(read enghine oil).So it might need a engine overhaul sooner or later.

Going through various posts and threads I come to conclusion that ,getting a 540 heart transplanted would be less cost intensive than getting DI ENGINE .Now the catch is that installing a peugot 2112 would entail hell lot of things as told to me by Arka .
Meanwhile jeep bug has already got me ,so like true blood jeepster I kept hanging around the scrap market in my hometown often without any talk or detour.One fine day i came across this fellow whose was ready to give me peugot 2112 engine for 15k.
Later on he also told me why not go for complete mm540 instead of piecemeal approach and that stuck a deep chord ,we went to take stock of the mm540
Phew ,it was absolute beauty ,I havenot seen such a good mm540 for a long while .I immediately fell for it and did not showed any signs of weakness but deep within I was longing for it .
Now,we agreed for taking her to test-drive.
I notice following things
1.Steering was very good ,after months of driving the my old MM CJ500D it felt as if I am driving a power steered vehicle.
2.Suspension is also quite good
3.Overall body shell is also pretty good.
4.It does not need any major body work .
5.Paint is also quite ok.
6.Battery is 5months old
7.It started with classic peugot cranks
8.Gear is ok and its 4speed (4+1).
9.Front differential is there ,though I have to scout for front propeller shaft .Only worrying part is that it lacked pick up or power or may be brake shoes are jammed .

Please advice me whether I should go for it or not.
And one thing more I have heard terrible stories of mm540 being jump started using tractor .
Why peugot 2112 is so start unfriendly and how to keep it or make one start vehicle .Please suggest me on the following lines
a)High capacity battery in place Exide express 80 amps
b).High capacity heating element .
c).Any special improvisations for the easy and hassle free start

Please comment i am really dying to get hold of it within one or two days.

I have duly checked the papers ,it due for re-registration in september 2011.I will get it transferred into my name.

P.S.- Ask rate is 65k.
Old 27th August 2011, 18:48   #53
Senior - BHPian

Re: Got an offer of 1996 mm540

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblooded View Post
I notice following things
1.Steering was very good ,after months of driving the my old MM CJ500D it felt as if I am driving a power steered vehicle.
2.Suspension is also quite good
3.Overall body shell is also pretty good.
4.It does not need any major body work .
5.Paint is also quite ok.
6.Battery is 5months old
7.It started with classic peugot cranks
8.Gear is ok and its 4speed (4+1).
9.Front differential is there ,though I have to scout for front propeller shaft .Only worrying part is that it lacked pick up or power or may be brake shoes are jammed .

And one thing more I have heard terrible stories of mm540 being jump started using tractor .
Why peugot 2112 is so start unfriendly and how to keep it or make one start vehicle .Please suggest me on the following lines
a)High capacity battery in place Exide express 80 amps
b).High capacity heating element .
c).Any special improvisations for the easy and hassle free start

I have duly checked the papers ,it due for re-registration in september 2011.I will get it transferred into my name.

P.S.- Ask rate is 65k.
if the condition of the vehicle & papers is as said by you, then i think its a good price for a 540.

please double check the papers.

is it already registered?

check the chassis number for any tempering.

the xdp4.90 is a good engine , if in a good condition will never give any problem.

i am using one from 1993 (i was 6 at that time but still) never had any starting trouble.

(even my armada have 4.90 & if you see my thread the engine started after 2+ years of gap , which has agasket leak , worn out piston rings & 2 seized pistons)

if fuel supply/starter/alternator/compression is ok then no engine will give any problem.

a snap from owners manual of our 750dp. (it was common for all models of mahindra)
Need help Regarding MM540/550-dsc05354-.jpg

BTW what will you do with your cj500?

rgds,
Nikhil

Last edited by jeepster : 27th August 2011 at 18:49.
jeepster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2011, 21:16   #54
BHPian

Re: Got an offer of 1996 mm540

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
i

is it already registered?yes its already registered

check the chassis number for any tempering. i have done it

(even my armada have 4.90 & if you see my thread the engine started after 2+ years of gap , which has agasket leak , worn out piston rings & 2 seized pistons)
thats quite comforting to know and ofcourse i have gone through your thread

BTW what will you do with your cj500? It will be with me ofcourse ,have you heard of escalation of commitment ?

rgds,
Nikhil
I am having sleepless night since I saw her ,you know what I mean ,now first thing in the morning i will do is to get my baby,come what may!

Last edited by blueblooded : 27th August 2011 at 21:22. Reason: faulty grammar
Old 4th September 2011, 13:11   #55
BHPian

MM540 1995 Model Buy / Not Buy

Hi All,

I came through a MM540,1995 model. diesel company fitted engine.

The Vehicle is in good condition and currently its a daily drive for one of my relation from Home to Paddy Fields and vice-Versa.

The Vehicle requires a paint Job(with some tinkering on the TUB), and engine is in running condition(any way would restore it).

these also requires a paint Job.

The tyre's are in good condition, Brakes are also good.

no problem with the Chassis(no rust for chassis).

only thing which is confusing me is it has got a diesel engine(pijo/Pigo) not sure with the correct naming.

so wanted to check whether i can pick this one or not.(especially on the engine front)

lets the pictures speak further.
Attached Thumbnails
Need help Regarding MM540/550-5.jpg  

Need help Regarding MM540/550-05012011004.jpg  

Need help Regarding MM540/550-05012011006.jpg  

Need help Regarding MM540/550-05012011009.jpg  

Need help Regarding MM540/550-05012011012.jpg  

Need help Regarding MM540/550-05012011013.jpg  

Need help Regarding MM540/550-05012011014.jpg  

Need help Regarding MM540/550-05012011016.jpg  

Need help Regarding MM540/550-05012011019.jpg  

Old 4th September 2011, 13:38   #56
Senior - BHPian

Re: MM540 1995 Model Buy / Not Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER View Post
I came through a MM540,1995 model. diesel company fitted engine.

only thing which is confusing me is it has got a diesel engine(pijo/Pigo) not sure with the correct naming.

so wanted to check whether i can pick this one or not.
its Peugeot XDP4.90 Engine.

why the confusion???

all depends on the condition of the vehicle, Asking PRICE for it& Documents.

rgds,
Nikhil

Last edited by jeepster : 4th September 2011 at 13:46.
Old 4th September 2011, 14:03   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
its Peugeot XDP4.90 Engine.

why the confusion???

all depends on the condition of the vehicle, Asking PRICE for it& Documents.

rgds,
Nikhil

I got an update from couple of people that these engines are with lots of troubles.

so that was the confusion.

messaged you the price and the documents are clear.

regards
suresh
Old 4th September 2011, 14:32   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER View Post
so that was the confusion.
the documents are clear.
ok why do you need the 540?

as a daily drive or Offroad vehicle?

if you need a reliable jeep which can be used both as daily drive as well as occasional offroading,
then you will not have any problems with XDP 4.90 .

its a very good engine.

i am using two of them in 1993 mm 750DO 4x2 & 1998-99 mm Armada 4x4.

& never had any problems.

for the pricing please see following threads.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post2483806

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...-mm-540dp.html
Old 10th September 2011, 11:26   #59
BHPian

Dear jeepester ,
I have changed battery of my mm 540 , still the engine requires a bit of effort to come to life .I have duly checked the glow plugs with a good mechanic who connected a direct wire from battery to the glow plug terminals and phew all the plugs gave good spark -meaning they are ok.
Now, the beast may be needing a regular servicing -what do you say- the mechanic says the engine oil has still got 1000kms of life left .
One more thing the wheels of baby seems to be jammed , I got it checked ,the mechanic opened the front right wheels which was most tight and examined the brake shoes and the pistons and later brake hoses .
The mechanics take was that as vehicle was lying stand still for some time so the brake hoses might be jammed and asked me come another day as the brake master cylinder has to be checked .
What I could not get that had the master cylinder been causing the trouble how come only the front right wheel is more jammed than others?
So please tell me how to correct
1.Starting trouble
2.jammed wheels

Most Viewed