Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2008, 01:27   #1
BHPian

Palio Brake Upgrade

My Palio 1.6 is a really nice performance car but, the brakes are terrible. They literally do not work in panic brake situations. A fast car should have even better brakes or you can get into serious trouble.

I have heard that the Fiat Adventure brakes can be fitted to a Palio. Has anyone done this?

Is there any other way to upgrade the inadequate Palio Brakes?

Thanks,
Old 21st July 2008, 01:49   #2
BHPian

Same for my Ikon 1.6- Pathetic brakes, they wouldnt lock up even if you stood on them.(I know what you guys are thinkin, No i dont have ABS!!!)

Going for a complete brake system overhaul turns out to be a very expensive job especially if you are looking at Brembo/ Wilwood/Tarox etc.

Try going step by step or a mix of products like grooved/cross-drilled rotors, high performance brake pads(but keep the operating temperatures in mind as these pads require a certain operating temperature to perform best), going for caliper change aswell like a four pot one.

I guess Arush(Autopsyche) has aftermarket brake systems, you could contact him.

When i put forward the same issue of bad brakes for the Ikon at Ford, they happily said "we know sir! the brake booster does not generate enough force for powerful braking!" --->This was the exact expression on my face and i asked them "So is Ford doing anything about this" and the answer was "No!", so blunt was this no that i was left feeling stupid asking that question because i had asked this question when Ford was there with the 1.6 ROCAM, sold it and had also stopped production and it was very evident they did not do anything about it.

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st July 2008 at 09:36. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of postnig another consecutive post.
Old 21st July 2008, 10:58   #3
Senior - BHPian

the palio's brakes are not that effective in panic braking situations - period

i always pump the brake paddle while slowing down and at the same time downshift.

saw a video @ you_tube (red bull palio) - the palio had cross drilled rotors, NOS and Unichip chip upgrade.
Old 21st July 2008, 11:09   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Gaurav,

Join this Palio group also, if you haven't done so already. You have tons and tons of great information about all things Palio. I am sure you will find your answer there.

PalioUsersIndia : PalioUsersIndia

Cheers,
Old 21st July 2008, 11:24   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Gaurav,

Join this Palio group also, if you haven't done so already. You have tons and tons of great information about all things Palio. I am sure you will find your answer there.

PalioUsersIndia : PalioUsersIndia

Cheers,
I went through PUG, but there is no brake upgrade info there.

I believe that the Fiat Adventure front brakes may fit. They are larger discs and rotors. I have even got a quote:

Adventure rotor Rs. 1700
Adventure Caliper: Rs. 4800
Adventure dust shield: Rs. 350

So the total will be Rs. 13,700.

Has anyone done this swap? If so how well does it work?

I have talked to the folks at Samyak Motors in Noida, and one of the mechanics will test fit an Adventure rotor/caliper on my car as soon as a donor vehicle is available.

Regards,
Old 26th July 2008, 08:35   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Gaurav,

What's the update buddy. Did you manage to find the 'donor' vehicle? Am waiting for this update.

I had once touched 175+ on my S10 (on NICE road in Bangalore) and I felt that the car had lots of power still left and could do a lot more BUT the braking was my worry and had to slow down. Upgrading the brakes is a TOP Priority item for me also.
Old 26th July 2008, 19:49   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Gaurav,

What's the update buddy. Did you manage to find the 'donor' vehicle? Am waiting for this update.

I had once touched 175+ on my S10 (on NICE road in Bangalore) and I felt that the car had lots of power still left and could do a lot more BUT the braking was my worry and had to slow down. Upgrading the brakes is a TOP Priority item for me also.

SK,
No donor vehicle yet. I think the Fiat Dealer thinks I am crazy, and is trying to avoid me.

Any Delhi/NCR Adventure owners willing to let me test fit your car's brake components on my Palio? I promise to put all your parts back!
Old 26th July 2008, 20:22   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
SK,
No donor vehicle yet. I think the Fiat Dealer thinks I am crazy, and is trying to avoid me.

Any Delhi/NCR Adventure owners willing to let me test fit your car's brake components on my Palio? I promise to put all your parts back!
I can imagine what the dealer must be assuming -- am beginning to get similar vibes from the FITA/TATA A.S.S here in Bangalore.

Do post the donor vehicle request in the PUG also. Need to expand the search horizon
Old 27th July 2008, 01:27   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
Same for my Ikon 1.6- Pathetic brakes,...

When i put forward the same issue of bad brakes for the Ikon at Ford, they happily said "we know sir! the brake booster does not generate enough force for powerful braking!" ...

Hmmm. Is that what the issue is with the ikon braking? I always assumed it was a brake fade issue (i imagined the OEM supplier of pads or the cooling was not up to par), since i notice a degradation in the braking over time.

Any idea whether the booster is actually at fault or if there is another component that is the weak link?

cya
R
Old 27th July 2008, 02:11   #10
BHPian

N 1 in Bombay has EBC brake upgrade options , think even for the palio - pads at least.
Cost efficient good stuff.
You should contact them,
n1 engineering . com
Old 27th July 2008, 02:36   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Hmmm. Is that what the issue is with the ikon braking? I always assumed it was a brake fade issue (i imagined the OEM supplier of pads or the cooling was not up to par), since i notice a degradation in the braking over time.

Any idea whether the booster is actually at fault or if there is another component that is the weak link?

cya
R
Other than the brake booster, the components like rotors and brake pads dont hold up good for long thus further multiplying the effect. Again people at Ford admit to the above aswell but there has not been any change in quality for these products. Even the Fiesta is better in braking than the Ikon but not as confident as the Hondas or Hyundais or Suzukis.
Of course upgrading to performance rotors, pads etc solve the problem to a great extent but if someone has the expertise to fit a better brake booster, even that of a Mondeo then the braking would phenomenally improve since the brake booster being the root cause for the Ikon.
Old 27th July 2008, 02:58   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyneverdie View Post
N 1 in Bombay has EBC brake upgrade options , think even for the palio - pads at least.
Cost efficient good stuff.
You should contact them,
n1 engineering . com
Bro no luck with braking system on their website.
But the front bumper on the Ikon looks smashing!!
Attached Images

Old 28th July 2008, 16:25   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
Bro no luck with braking system on their website.
But the front bumper on the Ikon looks smashing!!
Hey man , doubt their website would help , 9821221791 - Anant from N1's no - he's a nice helpful guy try him out , feel free to tell him where you got his number from.
But , your from delhi - autopsyche can't help you??
Old 28th July 2008, 16:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

I have always felt palio brakes needs little warm up before they work perfectly ..... In both track days i have seen this, in the second track day i felt brake are not working perfectly and after a lap it was just as good as new ...... i could lock the front two tyres with little force other wise i have press them with more force to lock the wheels, tyres are 195 section ....

one of the reason palio brakes are not good in emegency braking situation ..... if you find anything please update the thread
Old 28th July 2008, 21:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest sourcing performance brake pads from EBC.
I'm uploading an excel file for your convenience.
Attached Files
File Type: xls ebc_for_fiat.xls (145.5 KB, 891 views)

Most Viewed