Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2008, 12:28   #1

Cooking options on a road trip

Yes it may sound crazy. I always thaught about this. Just immagin keep a cooker in the engin boot (There should be sufficient space), run for about 100 KM , yr rice is ready !!!.

Just think how much heat energy is wasted every day, does it make sence to utilize this heat in one way or the other.

I do not think any one has tried , Please comment on this, let us give a try.
Old 27th July 2008, 18:50   #2
SuperSyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by deva kuduvalli View Post
Yes it may sound crazy. I always thaught about this. Just immagin keep a cooker in the engin boot (There should be sufficient space), run for about 100 KM , yr rice is ready !!!.

Just think how much heat energy is wasted every day, does it make sence to utilize this heat in one way or the other.

I do not think any one has tried , Please comment on this, let us give a try.
Well this depends on which car you are running, most cars these days do not have volume to keep a rice cooker in the engine compartment. And you cannot harness the heat from air alone, you'll have to tap into the radiator.

Besides this genius idea of your only makes sense if you cook along with essential driving, just dedicated driving to cook meals would be far to energy inefficient. Use LPG at home.

You will have better luck harnessing the heat in exhaust, and you'll need controls to make sure the food is not overcooked and is edible after cooking.

PS: I am speculating here, but you must be a product of IIT-Delhi, right? Currently working with Mahindra or Tata, perhaps?

Old 27th July 2008, 19:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

Cooking... with your car - Instructables - DIY, How To, ride
Old 27th July 2008, 21:04   #4
BHPian

LOL! You could also prepare tea by hanging the container right out of your cars exhaust. Question is : Why ?
Old 27th July 2008, 21:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

Rice / Tea ?? You guys forget the easiest thing to cook with car heat.

Eggs - Easiest to boil them in the engine compartment.
Old 27th July 2008, 21:24   #6
BHPian

How about a chicken under the hood! Imagine...a tasty roasted chicken at the end of the long tiring journey .

The best I have done is to keep the tea kettle on the rear parcel tray during afternoon drives to reduce the heat loss.

Regards,
amohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2008, 23:26   #7

Great Idea. Just load the cooker before starting from Pune and when you will reach Mumbai, by that time food will be ready.

In Animal Planet, I have seen in one programme (two guys, one robinhood type and other with broken tooth, forgot the name actually ). He cooked the chicken under the hood in his jeep but meal for one person was burnt.
Old 27th July 2008, 23:44   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post
LOL! You could also prepare tea by hanging the container right out of your cars exhaust.
Ya if you want to invite the person behind you for tea that is. And people with free flows can invite whole cars and a few bikers and pedestrians for tea.
Old 28th July 2008, 00:22   #9
Team-BHP Support

Really interesting question deva kuduvalli,

In our day to day civilized lives this doesnt have much of a practical application - but if you were on a road-trip in the middle of nowhere it would surely be a useful little trick.

I think using the coolant as the source for heat would be an efficient and manageable way. Manifold-top grillin' could work too.

I imagine something like a pressure cooker / steamer with coils of copper piping around it, through which the hot water/coolant flows. Maybe you could bypass the radiator if you required more heat, or alternatively just have this device in the circuit before the radiator.

You could definitely cook instant noodles etc, or maybe rice (would take a little longer) etc etc.
Drop something in the cooker 10mins to an hour before reaching your camp-site, and arrive to a hot cooked meal!

cya
R
Old 28th July 2008, 03:18   #10
BANNED

I've got the same BIG question, WHY?

But if this goes forward, soon we'll see people looking for grill plates, shawarma cookers etc.. instead of alloy wheels and seatcovers!

We'll also get to hear, "Hey! My ride is dual cookerised." "Did ya see ma oven in the hood?" "Dude! I stepped too much on gas last night and the chapattis got burnt". "Last night's COOK my ride was cool man! It showed a hummer with 2 ovens, a cooking range, 4 coffee makers, 3 blenders and it also came with storage for all the vessels it needed."

Now, the question is when will it be launched in India?

In Kerala we used to make Puttu from the time we remember and if somebody had thought about this earlier, all those steams from the Ambassadors should've put to good use!
Old 28th July 2008, 05:33   #11
BHPian

I wasn't really sure until i saw this one....

Old 28th July 2008, 11:54   #12

That’s gr8!!! lot of encouragement from Team-BHP. I definitely know that this requires a totally different car design which allows cooking.

In today's energy crisis and alternative source of energy, this may be a small solution. Let us hope car manufacturers think about this of how to utilize this heat energy.

I am just a ordinalry science graduate with passion about science and technology.

Thanks
-Deva

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th July 2008 at 05:24. Reason: Formatting tags removed.
Old 28th July 2008, 14:46   #13
Senior - BHPian

While applauding this 'genius' thought in this era of global warming, my "scientific" mind wandered to the results of the cooker ovrturning inside the engine compartment or the number of whistles the cooker would give out to indicate the completion of cooking and last but not the least, will the extreme heat radiated will have any harmful effects..
Old 28th July 2008, 14:56   #14
Team-BHP Support

Ride Bike for about 15 mins.

Take 2 eggs.
Put in a clean tumbler and strap it to the crash guard.
Ride for 3 mins.

Add salt and pepper.

Pour over silencer

Your omelet is ready.

Spend the next 1/2 hour cleaning silencer.

Enjoy.

Note: add pieces of rood kill for enhancements.
Old 28th July 2008, 15:06   #15
Senior - BHPian

This reminds me of the Seinfeld episode in which Kramer wraps food in a aluminium foil and places it over the engine.

If you like pizza, you could do the same.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks