Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2005, 13:19   #1
BHPian

Need help for my Honda Vtec!!!

hi friends, i just got a honda vtec a month back. Ive put 16' 7 spoke hyperblack wheels with 205/45 goodyear eagle F1's & i also got a freeflow (full with headers) done, but the exhaust chap has designed it to deliver more high end torque, so below 4000rpm the car really struggles to get going, but above 4000 its a beauty. Now i want to compensate for it & want some more low end torque. I was thinking to install the K&N cone filter with the plumbing, plugs & plug wires. My car gives me a mileage of 8. Now i was wondering if this is a right combination i am putting for the Vtec. Coz, i was told that the K&N cone with plumbing does give some trouble. So can u please help with the right combination of performance stuff to be installed for it to blend well with each other.????
Old 6th March 2005, 14:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

Vtec with mileage of 8 , sounds less , unless it s always above 4000 rpm for max power and torque.

A stock Vtec gives atleast 10 with a/C in 2nd 3rd and 4th gears city traffic.
Old 6th March 2005, 15:00   #3
BHPian

No ya, i think its coz of the exhaust design..... my exhaust is almost like a straight pipe only.... there is not much back pressure from the muffler.....
Old 6th March 2005, 16:00   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigarmuni
Ive put 16' 7 spoke hyperblack wheels with 205/45 goodyear eagle F1's & i also got a freeflow (full with headers) done,
Just check if these new wheels of yours are the culprit. Mis-match exhaust system can also play the same role. If possible put back your old wheels and try it out.
Old 6th March 2005, 18:12   #5
BANNED

With the mods you done your fe should increase. Get your car checked up by a authorized Honda service centre. The upgradation of tyres from 175s to 205 can lead to a drop in fe and you are running very very low profile rubber. Do you drive at high speeds. If not the such low profile is not recommended. Also do post some pics. You must have changed the alloys as well. How much did you get the car for?
Old 6th March 2005, 18:19   #6
BHPian

No even before i got the wheels, my mileage was the same..... its not dropped after the wheels..! So i guess according to me, the exhaust is the culprit.! but well, thats not a very big problem, i wanna further do mods, but i am wondering as to which combination of mods will blend the best..! cone filter with plumbing, plugs...etc...etc... can u help me with that..??
Old 6th March 2005, 18:21   #7
BHPian

maybach, i got the car for 4.7lacs. Yes i have also changed the wheels.! but even before changing them i was getting a mileage of 8! so it seems that the wheels havent affected the mileage! I need to know... which combination of mods will now blend best with the Vtec!!
Old 6th March 2005, 19:02   #8
BHPian

I guess a cone filter with a set of iridium plugs and plug wires shud help u out...(not sure if it'll increase ur low end tho) i'd recommend remapping of ur ECU to suit ur performance needs..
Old 6th March 2005, 22:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigarmuni
No even before i got the wheels, my mileage was the same..... its not dropped after the wheels..! So i guess according to me, the exhaust is the culprit.!
jigar,

where is the problem then ? how can u say then the exhaust is the problem if the FE is still the same ?

but if u were getting the same FE before u got the exhaust fitted , just get the car checked by honda - maybe get it serviced !

a change of oil and ecu checking could just get the engine running better resulting in a little better FE !

as for the mods , there is no limits to what you can do on a honda!

just check out the modification section - u will find lots of stuff there

cheers
Old 6th March 2005, 22:37   #10
Team-BHP Support

hey NC, i don't think he said he has a prob with the FE. The prob he has is with the power delivery, which, due to the free flow, is all above 4,000rpm. I guess what he wants is a way to bring back some power below that figure.

Jigar, where did you get your exhaust done? It's probably not a very good design, or maybe to focused a design, which is no good for the road.
Old 6th March 2005, 22:43   #11
Senior - BHPian

okie,

so Jigar, where did you get your free flow done ? Automech ? if not then i say no harm in getting it checked by automech. tell him specifically what you want ( low end torque )...and see what he says.....

get a K&N filter - it wont help much to improve the low end torque though.

i suggest get the exhaust system checked by another expert...

cheers
Old 6th March 2005, 23:41   #12
BHPian

Rice tuner, the mileage part is still okay!! i dunt care too much..! but now i need to have a more even distribution of torque. Here with the exhaust the torque at low rpm with the A.C. On is really really low...!!! The car actually is crawling.. even in the `1st gear at 3000rpm.
Old 6th March 2005, 23:46   #13
BHPian

Rtech, i got the exhaust done from a place called smokeage in mahalaxmi. And she sounds also very loud..... infact i race formula cars for JK Tyres and there we have straight pipes for exhaust....my Vtec sounds louder to my formula car also.!!!!! So i guess since the fact that my FE is bad, low end torque is bad & da car sounds like a monster itself are enough to guess that DA EXHUAST SHOULD BE THE CULPRIT! But i have to get my low end torque back, without changing the exhaust..... so what would u suggest for that??? Filter & Plugs???
Old 7th March 2005, 01:12   #14
BHPian

hey buddy the headers that you have on your car..are just to support high end performance..and if you dont usually drive above 4000 rpm then in a way they can even damage your head and pistons..so i would advise you to get that checked...well all i can tell you for now is that..the automech design is ideal for mumbai city driving..well you have a mix of high n low end...so that gives you overall power...as far as the k&n filter and the plugs and wires are concerned well i can arrange those for without a hassle..so do pm me..if you need anything..well a k&n filter conical 3570 or 4670 should do the trick for your car..we can get the filter installed with a custom made cold air system..and the plugs from splitfire..iridium tip..and the split fire 8 mm performance cables...and performance exhausts...from hks...and the list never ends..cheers...!
Old 7th March 2005, 10:08   #15
Team-BHP Support

Hey Jigar, Loud does not = power

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks