Team-BHP - Buying an Automatic Car (Preferably Diesel). EDIT : Bought an OHC Automatic!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Buying an Automatic Car (Preferably Diesel). EDIT : Bought an OHC Automatic! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/43372-buying-automatic-car-preferably-diesel-edit-bought-ohc-automatic.html)

Hello there BHPians!

I am planning to buy an Automatic Car, preferably Diesel. My budget is around Rs.8,00,000

I have looked at the new i10 Automatic, even though I liked the gearbox, and interiors, I did not like the looks of the car [especially at the rear]

Then I looked at second hand Skoda Octavia Diesel Automatics. They go for around Rs.7,25,000 - Rs.8,00,000 for a 2004-2005 make depending on the condition of the car. Is this a good buy?

Then I purchased this month's issue of Autocar and I saw the Suzuki Splash. I like the car's looks and it is specified that it has a 4-speed Automatic gearbox. Will the automatic option be launched in India? I am considering to wait till 09 for the launch of the Suzuki Splash

So please advice me what to go in for. Is it better to buy the i10/Octavia or should I wait for the splash?. Please tell me about other automatics in the Rs.8,00,000 bracket (including used ones). I am not interested in the Honda City CVT. Is there any future launches of Automatic Cars in this price bracket?

Thank You!

At that price, there is no new AT Diesel. Of course a diesel Skoda AT would be cheaper in running costs than a petrol AT (Honda CVT). But other users on this forum have reported 13-14 kmpl on Honda CVT. Many users have also complained about the high maintenance costs of Skoda cars. Honda CVT should be cheaper to maintain, and it has a 5K service interval (same as Skoda diesel). I suggest buying a new Honda CVT than an old Skoda. Also what about Sonata Embera. That should also be available, though an AT may be harder to get in used car market. That should be even cheaper than Skoda.

Within the specified budget, you'll only get used diesels with slush box. And, Octavia is the only option. Sonatas depreciate fast but, I doubt if you'll get an A/T CRDi around 8. The Octavia is a good, solid car and will faithfully serve you for a very long time. Even with the A/T, you can expect very good FE.

In petrol, you could look at used A/T Corollas and Civics.

Edit: How about a Lancer INVEX?

Does the Sonata Embera come with an AT in Crdi form ?

I checked with the Hyundai dealers here a few days ago, they stated that the Embera Crdi comes only with a MT.

Only the petrol comes in MT and AT apparently.

The Octavia diesel is your best bet, if you are keen on an automatic diesel sedan. The NHC CVT is a superb urban commuter too, though you'd do better to wait for the all new generation that is expected soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclipse78 (Post 923764)
Does the Sonata Embera come with an AT in Crdi form ?

I checked with the Hyundai dealers here a few days ago, they stated that the Embera Crdi comes only with a MT.

Only the petrol comes in MT and AT apparently.

Oh! My bad then. A friend told me that the diesels also have transmission options. Sorry!

I would suggest you to go for the Octy. Splash will come only in April 09. That too there is no confirmed report of the Automatic . How i wish Verna came with Automatic!!! There were some rumours about Verna getting Automatic.

Hi shuvd,

> Oh! My bad then. A friend told me that the diesels also have transmission
> options. Sorry!

No. Your friend is aboslutely right. The Sonata diesel does come in AT.

How about the Corolla Automatic? I came to know that Corolla comes with an automatic option yesterday.....

Please tell me about the servicing costs of a Skoda Octavia

Hi everyone! I finally ot hold of a car!

Its a 2003 (Old) Honda City 1.5 EXI AT! Its presently at Mumbai and I am waiting it to be transported here to Cochin. My Cousin lives in Mumbai, so he bought it for me -- he managed to haggle with the dealer and he brought the price down to Rs.3,30,000 -- Please tell me your opinion on this, wheter it is a good buy!

Hi Games,

> Its a 2003 (Old) Honda City 1.5 EXI AT!

That is a lovely looking car that you have got. Is it the dark green colour?

It appears to have been well maintained. How much has it run?

I am not ware of the prevalent prices.

I have driven a similar car for about 3 kms inside my town here. You will definitely like it. It has the necessary performance and fair economy.

The brakes even without ABS is terrific. Be careful, you could have somebody rear end you.

The only drwabacks that I felt were the low seating at the back and the bouncy ride especially for the back seat.

Hey congrats! The car looks nice and well cared for. No idea about the price though.

Dear trrk & shuvd

The car has run for 45000 KMS

It is solid black colour.

There are a few scuffs in paint on the exterior (although that is not surprising for a car in Mumbai! :) ) Dealer said he'd touch up the marks......

Looks great, especially the squeaky clean interiors. Congratulations! It has atleast 1,00,000 useable kms left, and 3.3 lakhs is a fantastic price for a hard-to-find Automatic City.

Drive safe.

Congratulations.. clap:

OHC is a great looking car, especially in Black..