Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2008, 14:37   #16
BHPian

Bro guess you need to read the thread again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Amit, it is universal or the OE replacement one? If it is OE replacement, then you need NOT worry about the mod/fitting etc.
Its a stock replacement filter(OE Fitment).

Quote:
If it is universal, then I hope you have got it installed ion a way that it is NOT sucking in hot air.
It cannot suck in hot air as it is fitted directly inside the air-box.

Quote:
Saw that you mentioned that it was a 3 minute install. Difficult to do a CAI in 3 minutes with a universal K&N.
Its just an OE replacement and all you need to do is unclip the air-box, take the old filter out, plonk the new one in and close the air-box.
Old 5th August 2008, 14:44   #17
BHPian

Amit, great install there and very surprising your Zen performs so well with just the OE replacement. But what matters is that your happy and enjoying the difference. Get a cat-back or a complete FFE and the smile on your face will be wider than the horizon.

I have a Universal K n N RC3870 in my Ikon 1.6 which is sucking in 3times the air as compared to stock(as per calculations on the KnN website.) but the difference was nominal, maybe that is attributable to it being exposed and hot air does creep in.
Old 5th August 2008, 14:52   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theodore_ftw View Post
Sounds doable to me...but how often do you clean it? I was recommended between 5-10K. I would want to drop in once and check out the kit. May end up buying it myself (Beer @ Sunday afternoon is the motivator here, not the cleaning!)
It is very doable, just ensure that you clean the sink too, after your through with the filter cleaning that's all. I check the filter occasionally and have found it a necessity to clean only twice in the the 25,000 kms it has done.

One word of caution though. when you give your car for service, do ensure that the fellas do not touch the filter. If they try to clean it, the way they do the normal filters, its money down the drain literally.
Old 5th August 2008, 14:54   #19
BHPian

Just thought this might help for people looking for KnNs in the future!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-your-car.html
Old 5th August 2008, 19:26   #20
Team-BHP Support

Congrats amit on getting the filter. I think a good reason for such a big, noticeable difference could also be that your stock OEM filter was partly clogged. This is more so if the filter was older than 15000 kms. In that case the K&N will definitely come in as really liberating.

The behavior or rather the outcome of K&N install most probably varies for different fuelt types.

Most petrol engines seem to show different degrees of increase in the low end grunt after a K&N install. When I tried it in an Indica Turbo Diesel I felt the exact opposite. If there was a change in the low end grunt it was definitely not very prominent in my case. However I realized that once the car hits the highway the difference becomes noticeable. I could hear a shrill sound because of the extra air that pours in. The same car that earlier did 140-145 now easily goes past 160 (I believe it can do more but then the tires surrendered at that speed).

So most probably the effect varies.
Old 5th August 2008, 19:45   #21
Senior - BHPian

Maybe you have mentioned it earlier and Iv missed it but Im just curious as to why you didnt consider a conical filter as your out of the warranty period anyway ?

I was weary of replacement filters till I drove a friends santro (before and after experience). It did give the feeling of a little bit pep.

Enjoy !
Old 5th August 2008, 21:01   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
Amit, great install there and very surprising your Zen performs so well with just the OE replacement.
@abhik - Like Zappo mentioned later on it, i maybe feeling the difference as my OE filter may have been clogged. It had done about 7k without cleaning though it was a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
One word of caution though. when you give your car for service, do ensure that the fellas do not touch the filter. If they try to clean it, the way they do the normal filters, its money down the drain literally.
@Suren181 - Will definitely keep this in mind boss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Congrats amit on getting the filter. I think a good reason for such a big, noticeable difference could also be that your stock OEM filter was partly clogged.
Most petrol engines seem to show different degrees of increase in the low end grunt after a K&N install.
So most probably the effect varies.
@Zappo - Thanks. Probable noticeable diff cuz maybe i hadnt cleaned my filter for about 7k but it was a new one also and driven about 2k in Hyd.
As i had mentioned two of my other colleagues put the respective K&Ns in a Petrol Swift and Petrol Getz and didnt feel the difference yet in performance (only on their pockets!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
Maybe you have mentioned it earlier and Iv missed it but Im just curious as to why you didnt consider a conical filter as your out of the warranty period anyway ?
That's probably my next level of upgrade but at this point of time i was a bit crunched on cash since i needed tyres more than the filter. The cost of the filter was partially offset by the amount of money i saved on new tires. And yes before the forum members ask me i will be putting up my review on my new set of Pirellis (yes you heard me right, i have put Pirelli Tyres) shortly!
Old 5th August 2008, 21:02   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi@64bhp View Post
Congrats Amit. Interesting and encouraging. Now I am thinking of fitting it in my Wagon-R. I will do it only if it is plug-and-play.
Take the leap bro....Its definitely worth it!
Old 5th August 2008, 21:10   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Amit, congratulations, i have been contemplating of getting a filter from past month and you beat me to it. My turn to get the filter is around the corner.

Glad to know your enjoying the subtle changes. Keep Revving!!!
@Mobike008 - Thanks mate. Like i always say, you need to take the first step (like you did with your Pete's Box). You know the price of both the K&N and the GC, so whatcha waiting for? Christmas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonvaz View Post
Hi,
The K&N site does not mention that they have a replacement filter for the Zen.
Can i have the K&N part number.
Thanks
@alstonvaz - Part Number is 33-2709

33-2709 - K&N Replacement Filters, Replacement Air Filter

I got this from the box itself and its a direct fit on my MPFI 2002 Zen.
Old 6th August 2008, 08:54   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@Mobike008 - Thanks mate. Like i always say, you need to take the first step (like you did with your Pete's Box). You know the price of both the K&N and the GC, so whatcha waiting for? Christmas?
Been too busy at work and since i travel from the real city to the village ( so called Hitec city), including travel i spend over 12+ hours a day so shops dont wait for us so late in the night. Thefore, i need to get it done only on weekends. So this weekend expect it to happen.

It will be a surprise to myself whether it is going to be a GC stock replacement or GC Storm CAI kit. It all depends on Rider60.

Rider60, are you listening?
Old 6th August 2008, 10:22   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
spend over 12+ hours a day so shops dont wait for us so late in the night.

It will be a surprise to myself whether it is going to be a GC stock replacement or GC Storm CAI kit. It all depends on Rider60.
Option A - Work from home
Option B - Get it fixed @ Office (We did that with mine). No sense if wasting a weekend getting it fixed when you can spend it driving it!

From what i have read/reviewed, Storm CAI is recommended only for >100BHP. Check Abhik's thread that he had put (link in one of the threads above) regarding Air Filters. Btw i got Pirelli's (P400 Aquamile) fitted with a smaller Momo Replica steering wheel. I'll post the review shortly.
Old 6th August 2008, 12:27   #27
BHPian

I got this from the box itself and its a direct fit on my MPFI 2002 Zen.[/quote]

Hey Theo,
Thanks a lot....Am looking at fitting one in my Zen too since its a direct fit.
Did u reset the ECU after changing the filter?
Old 6th August 2008, 17:44   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonvaz View Post

I got this from the box itself and its a direct fit on my MPFI 2002 Zen.

Hey Theo,
Thanks a lot....Am looking at fitting one in my Zen too since its a direct fit.
Did u reset the ECU after changing the filter?[/quote]

Nopes....No changes to anything. Only took out old filter and put in new one.
Old 6th August 2008, 21:33   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's probably my next level of upgrade but at this point of time i was a bit crunched on cash since i needed tyres more than the filter. The cost of the filter was partially offset by the amount of money i saved on new tires. And yes before the forum members ask me i will be putting up my review on my new set of Pirellis (yes you heard me right, i have put Pirelli Tyres) shortly!

Totally understand about priorities

Try and get the R-Active conical filter if you can its great VFM and have a couple of friends who can vouch for the performance!
Old 7th August 2008, 12:56   #30
BHPian

Green Cotton 'WIND' - ZEN ESTILO

Hi there,

I have an Estilo which is 1.5 years old and has done 14000 kms. About 2 months back I had installed a K & N stock replacement filter. Since I could hardly make out any difference in performance I have been wanting to try the next best thing. I had my eye on the K & N series of performance (cone) filters but was slightly hesitant since these need special care while servicing (covering with a plastic cover to avoid water etc).

So I did a bit of surfing on this site and discovered that a member - Redfire, had installed the GCCAI in his Swift. The GC filter comes with a fibre cover of its own so is pretty much self contained as far as protection goes. After a very energetic exchange of PMs between myself and Redfire, I finally decided to take the plunge (but half way though). Yesterdday I finally got my Estilo fitted with a GC 'Wind' filter but without the CAI piping.

Details below:

Price: INR 4888 (all inclusive)
Source: RAC, koramangla, Bangalore.

Description: Ranjith had suggested that I take it step-by-step and so I decided to get the filter fitted without the CAI fitments, to be added on later if required. I think it was a good decision since as can be seen from the photos below, the Estilo engine bay is too cramped for this equipment. There was some sound & vibration from under the hood when I first started the car upon taking delivery.

This was then rectified by removing and refitting the filter only. Afterwards there was still a lit bit harshness in the sound and feel of the engine, so when I got back yesterday night I decided to disconnect and reconnect the battery to reset the ECU as per the advice of experts on this forum. Below are some of the pics I took during the discon-recon procedure today morning.

Zen 2002 MPFI - K&N Replacement Filter Review-1.jpg

Estilo engine bay full view

Zen 2002 MPFI - K&N Replacement Filter Review-2.jpg

GC close up 1

Zen 2002 MPFI - K&N Replacement Filter Review-3.jpg

GC close up 2

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	1581
Size:	277.9 KB
ID:	35980

GC close up 3

Zen 2002 MPFI - K&N Replacement Filter Review-4.jpg

GC up close and personal

Zen 2002 MPFI - K&N Replacement Filter Review-5.jpg

The old filter assembly

I would like one and all to inspect these photos and let me know their thoughts about the fitment. I will be driving to office now and can give my final feedback only then. Besides, I will also be going on a 300km (both ways 600km) trip tomorrow to Kerala and there will be another review after that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks