Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2008, 09:11   #1
BHPian

HAM Radio in a car

Hi folks, Does anybody has some info on setting up a HAM radio set in a car ?
Old 12th August 2008, 11:10   #2
BHPian

Don't know if it's possible - not from a technical standpoint, but from a Government / licensing perspective. The process of getting a HAM licence is pretty arduous and I think it needs to be operated from a fixed address only.

BTW do we have anything like Citizens Band (CB) radios in India? How do city taxis etc. operate? does anyone know?

Last edited by ajitkommini : 12th August 2008 at 11:11.
Old 12th August 2008, 11:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post

BTW do we have anything like Citizens Band (CB) radios in India? How do city taxis etc. operate? does anyone know?
City Taxes have licensed frequency usage Since 2002 [i think or after that] Indian government has opened it policy for use of Non military frequencies to public use under licenses, Big companies like taxi operators, construction,etc. can buy these.
CB are restricted to 27MHz. the fee initially was 5lacs deposit, a yearly another 6 lacs.it may have increased or decreased now.
Thats the reason Motorola launched their Wireless equipment business officially.
One can use off the shelf waky talkies without any fees, but only till copes do not find out.
Old 12th August 2008, 12:30   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
From the little bit of information i have it is necessary for you to have a Ham Radio Lisence first and secondly if you are gona fit it in you car you cant do it on permanant basics. For fitting it in the car too you need to inform the WPC office reason for fitting it and the number of days you will be using it and the city of use and you need to have the permission letter from them regarding this.
Old 11th September 2008, 21:58   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by egangsta View Post
From the little bit of information i have it is necessary for you to have a Ham Radio Lisence first
Yup. You would not have asked this question in first place if you were a HAM. You need to suffix "MO" to your call sign if you are transmitting from a mobile setup.

Quote:
and secondly if you are gona fit it in you car you cant do it on permanant basics.
True in all respects. But I have seen a chevy people-mover in Cochin with a permanent mobile ham set up. The guy even uses a name board with red background, with his call sign; as if he is some politico.
Old 17th September 2013, 18:41   #6
BHPian

Hi folks, cb radio has been delicensed now. Does any one know how to adjust the radio in cars to 27mhz so as to use the bandwidth without installing a cb radio set?
Old 17th September 2013, 19:51   #7
BHPian

Re: HAM Radio in a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
Hi Joecherian..

Am assuming that you are a HAM. If not, you would not be able to operate the frequency assigned to HAM radio operators.

Normally we operate under the frequency 144-146 Mhz in the short wave mode.

Am a HAM Myself..goes by the call sign VU3JKN. My dad is also a HAM. He has an antenna he set up in his car. If you need it will let u know the details.

Editing this post -- Saw the date of post pretty late!! Anyways if anyone needs info, please do let know.

Last edited by JayKis : 17th September 2013 at 20:16.
JayKis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2013, 20:18   #8
BHPian

We have a cb radio network up and running in Patna now. We are normally on line from 9 to 10 pm on channel 5.
Old 20th September 2013, 15:52   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKis View Post
Hi Joecherian..

Am a HAM Myself..goes by the call sign VU3JKN. My dad is also a HAM. He has an antenna he set up in his car. If you need it will let u know the details.

Editing this post -- Saw the date of post pretty late!! Anyways if anyone needs info, please do let know.

Hi all, I am a ham too, active on HF and VHF. My call-sign is VU2ORO. If I have to use a radio in my car, it's a mag mount antenna for 144MHz, with a FDC150A handy, with external antenna adaptor. But the New Delhi VHF repeater is giving problems these days.

[OT : What is your dad's call sign? Do you know VU2DK, Zal, in Pune?]
Old 20th September 2013, 16:04   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Hi all, I am a ham too, active on HF and VHF. My call-sign is VU2ORO. If I have to use a radio in my car, it's a mag mount antenna for 144MHz, with a FDC150A handy, with external antenna adaptor. But the New Delhi VHF repeater is giving problems these days.

[OT : What is your dad's call sign? Do you know VU2DK, Zal, in Pune?]
Hi @lapiz_Lasuli,

Am not an active HAM its been a long time since i have been active. I used to when i was in school! I got the license when i was in 8th class.

Infact my mom and sis are HAMs too!! But they are rarely active.

My Dad though is still active. Goes by the call sign VU2RNL and QTH is Kottayam, Kerala. He is active on the VHF.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks