Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2008, 19:53   #1
BHPian

Diesel engine noise reduction - How?

I own a Bolero, DI engine. I find it a tad bit too noisy when I park it in the basement.

I see a lot of ads in automobile magazines that claim to make your exhaust note sporty. Can something like this be done to reduce the noise level?

Or anyother treatment recommended?

Thanks in advance.
Old 22nd August 2008, 20:00   #2
BHPian

If its old try to add STP Oil Additives to Mineral or Better use synthetic. Clean the exhaust system and try a decorb.

if its new, check the car with a workshop. or try to install sound proof materials under bonnet & underbody. Also check the condition of your floor carbet.
Old 22nd August 2008, 20:03   #3
BHPian

She is less than 6 months old.
Old 22nd August 2008, 21:00   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough Square View Post
I find it a tad bit too noisy when I park it in the basement.

Thanks in advance.
Hi,

You do not have any problem in the car its just that the sound level is amplified in a enclosed are like basement/tunnel etc.

Viper
Old 23rd August 2008, 01:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I own a Bolero, DI engine. I find it a tad bit too noisy when I park it in the basement.

I see a lot of ads in automobile magazines that claim to make your exhaust note sporty. Can something like this be done to reduce the noise level?

Or anyother treatment recommended?

Thanks in advance.
I have a question here, as you said that there are mags claiming to make your exhaust note sporty, does that mean it would make the same kinda sound which petrol car's make with the sporty exhaust they have. Like the ones which u hear in crosscountry rallying???? i hope i make sense here
Old 23rd August 2008, 14:01   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

DI engines inherently create more clatter. Honestly, there is little one can do about it. A healthy engine & better oil will help but only so much. Sports exhausts for diesels are available, though they won't make the car any more silent (I personally find them funny!). Remember, most of the sound is coming from the oil-burner itself and not the exhaust.

Call me crazy but I actually love the loud sound of a rugged diesel, especially if it's in an MUV / SUV. Gives them character. I once drove a Tata Sumo Spacio (with the 407 truck engine, no less) and loved every bit of the acoustic entertainment!!
Old 23rd August 2008, 14:24   #7
BHPian

Regarding the clatter, I remember our old amby (Trekker Diesel Engine) being treated with 'NULON ENGINE TREATMENT' oil, I am talking about 6 or 7 years back. It was about INR 400 for 350 ML and not sure about the current trends.

But one thing is for 100% sure, as I have experienced this personally- the engine ran considerably smooth after the treatment.
Old 23rd August 2008, 14:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

Dont think much can be done...apart from putting deadening material around....
We too had a Bolero DI but couldnt really get rid of the noise and vibrations as well...
Old 23rd August 2008, 21:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

I totally agree GTO. When in school/college we used to travel down south by train on LTC availed by Dad. At each station I used to get down and rush towards the big diesel powerplant, just to hear the idling sound. It used to make my adrenalin rush.

Later when looking for employment, while writing a brief about self, always used to mention that I had a desire to be a diesel locomotive driver..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Call me crazy but I actually love the loud sound of a rugged diesel, especially if it's in an MUV / SUV. Gives them character. I once drove a Tata Sumo Spacio (with the 407 truck engine, no less) and loved every bit of the acoustic entertainment!!
Old 24th August 2008, 11:50   #10
BANNED

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang is STRICTLY prohibited on this community. We would much appreciate your using full & proper english in posts, for the benefit of other forum users.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 25th August 2008 at 12:57.
monty9991 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 25th August 2008, 15:06   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevertouchme View Post
Regarding the clatter, I remember our old amby (Trekker Diesel Engine) being treated with 'NULON ENGINE TREATMENT' oil
Could you tell me something more about this

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
I have a question here, as you said that there are mags claiming to make your exhaust note sporty, does that mean it would make the same kinda sound which petrol car's make with the sporty exhaust they have. Like the ones which u hear in crosscountry rallying???? i hope i make sense here
I guess it would work for engines with common rail technology, likes of Skoda, Palio MJD, Swift VDi.

Last edited by Aditya : 26th November 2017 at 08:57. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Fixing quote tag
Old 25th August 2008, 21:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

LOL Nulon was very much there in early 1990's as well. I did use it, the difference was there. (quiter / smoother engine). Nowadays, I dont think anyone uses it maybe the company does not sell it now or has closed down.

Synthetic oils work well - BUT the cost is huge !!!

Quote:
I guess it would work for engines with common rail technology, likes of Skoda, Palio MJD, Swift VDi.

Putting a sport (read loud) endcan on a deisel ? I dont think it is going to add any thing to the performance. The sound it makes is also ?????

Check out with someone who has done it or else it's a worthless effort !

Cheers

Last edited by ampere : 25th November 2017 at 10:13. Reason: back to back posts merged.
Old 28th August 2008, 08:17   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevertouchme View Post
Regarding the clatter, I remember our old amby (Trekker Diesel Engine) being treated with 'NULON ENGINE TREATMENT' oil,

Could you tell me something more about this
I am sorry for the late reply- was away.

Coming back to NULON- I did some google on this and found the following. The pic of the can is the same for the past 10 years or so. It hasn't changed.
Mind you, this is lifted off from their site and not my DIY stuff

“NULON ENGINE TREATMENT” coats the internal parts of the engine with a 0.5 micron thin film of activated PTFE which prevents metal to metal contact offering engine protection and eliminates friction to near zero level, benefits which no other engine oil offers.

DIRECTION FOR USE FOR MAXIMUM BENEFITS:-

FOR FOUR WHEELERS
Step 1 Change engine oil and filter.
Step 2 Run engine for some time to ensure that engine is at normal operating temperature.
Step 3 Shake Nulon Engine Treatment 350/700ml can vigorously for at least two minutes.
Step 4 Stop engine and add contents of the can to engine oil sump.
Step 5 Restart engine.
Step 6 Run/Drive engine for at least 20 minutes.

Not sure if I can post a direct link, mods please delete it if I am not supposed to NULON INDIA LTD.

I hope this information helps you.

Last edited by ampere : 25th November 2017 at 10:14.
Old 28th August 2008, 16:32   #14
BHPian

Nulon is still available, the outlet is in Noida Sector-2 i think.
Old 28th August 2008, 16:41   #15
BHPian

I too have a Bolero DI which is 1 year old...and i don't think anything much can be done to lessen the sound. I sometimes feel embarassed to stick to the 1 minute idling rule while in the basement. It gets VERY VERY loud.

I haven't tried synthetic oil though.

Last edited by Torqy : 28th August 2008 at 16:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks