Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2008, 12:11   #1
BHPian

Palio Stile Headlamps

Hi,

I have been actively reading articles posted in this group for the last 1 year. I have benefitted immensely from the posts. I have learnt various car options available for me, what car to buy and from where, what kind of ICE set up and where to go for it and many more. I have been meaning to write about my new car experience, my first long drive but me being lazy always enjoyed reading that contributing.

I feel embarassed that my first meaningful post is not about any such good experiences but because I have a problem and need your help. I bought a Palio Stile 1.6 last december and am proud of my possession. I love the ride city or highway - its just amazing - I dont mind feeding this glutton for sheer pleasure of driving her.

I met with an accident a few days back. I flirted with a BMTC bus and got back handsomely. BMTC just kissed the left eye of my Palio. Being a Palio, it survived and came out with minor bruises - a couple of scratches on the bumper and the left headlamp. Low beam isnt glowing but all others are intact.
I went to Concorde Motors Service center on Hosur Rd. They said, they wouldnt be able to replace the low beam bulb alone and need to replace the complete headlamp assembly which would cost me Rs 7500. I would love to have a scratch-free brand-new headlamp but the cost is imposing.

Finally, here is what I want to know:
1) Is Concorde telling me everthing right?
2) Are there any alternatives - can I get only the bulb changed or faceplate changed?
3) Is there any other service center that can provide me better service?
4) Anything else that can help.

Thanks in advance,
Chakri
Old 27th August 2008, 13:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

go to Green Tracks, Bangy - its a simply bulb replacement. perfect time to upgrade to OSRAM Night Breakers
Old 27th August 2008, 13:31   #3
BHPian

Headlight Replacement

I guess you might have to replace the headlight if the bulb holder behind the light is cracked. The Palio Stile headlight glass cannot be replaced like the older Palio's.
Old 27th August 2008, 15:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

Well thats a first one, are you sure its only the bulb which has gone bad, and no damages to the inner beam or any of its holders? Im sure the dealership would not be that stupid to suggest a headlight replacement if it was ONLY for the bulb!
Old 27th August 2008, 16:15   #5
BHPian

well that's strange thing to know that dealer is suggesting the whole assemble not the bulb.

I would suggest to try it your own :
Change the right side bulb to left side and check whether it's working or not.If yes go to any other dealer or any accessories shop nearby to get a new air of bulbs PHILIPS H7 will cost you around 1200/- pair(in Delhi)

If it's the other way around (not working ) then do check it with other dealer and ask him what is the fault..
Old 27th August 2008, 17:39   #6
BHPian

Philips H7 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin View Post
new air of bulbs PHILIPS H7 will cost you around 1200/- pair(in Delhi)
Osram H7 pair will cost you no more than 400/- Philips is expensive in that case.
Old 27th August 2008, 21:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopsyche View Post
Well thats a first one, are you sure its only the bulb which has gone bad, and no damages to the inner beam or any of its holders? Im sure the dealership would not be that stupid to suggest a headlight replacement if it was ONLY for the bulb!

If it is concorde am sure they would at least from my experiences with them in Chennai. As far as possible they replace rather than repair. I m not complaining too much though.

@chakri400

Do check out green tracks as someone suggested but if you want to replace heres some info for you, I got my headlight replaced very recently for Rs.6500+300 labour approx. Do talk to them and reconfirm the rates before any purchase
Old 27th August 2008, 21:57   #8
BHPian

@Chakri400: Go to Babu of Greentracks. PM me if you need his mobile number. If it is only a few scratches on the headlamp and the bulb holder or the refelctive setup inside is intact, there is no need to replace the entire assembly.

Cheers,

Rajan
Old 28th August 2008, 18:39   #9
BHPian

Thanks everyone for the prompt replies.

I saw a couple of suggestions:

Green Tracks, Bangy and talk to Mr. Babu
- I will PM PatchyBoy for mobile number

Get it checked with other dealers
- I will see what Mr. Babu has to say and then decide

Change the right side bulb to left side and check whether it's working or not.
I have never done this - I checked the headlamp assembly before and didnt think I could open it up. I will check again if I can try my hand at it.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks again!
Chakri
Old 31st August 2008, 10:11   #10
BHPian

Update

Here is the update:
I called Mr. Babu and went to Green Tracks yesterday. Got the bulb changed for a 100 bucks. The headlight assembly seems to be fine except for a broken clamp (one of the two clamps that holds the assembly in position), it now appears to be falling off onto the bumper slightly.

But I think I will live on with the bulb change for now, thanks again for all your help (@PatchyBoy, thanks for providing the contact) - the best part of being at Team-BHP - true and honest help at no cost!

BTW - Green Tracks is just a few KM away from where I live, so was easy for me!
Old 1st September 2008, 17:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

smal FYI

my cousine's old palio headlight clamp had fallen off. After some days, there was water vaper formation inside the headlight. And now even dust has sneaked in. It looks pretty dull and cleaning it is a big problem. So it is advisible to make sure that headlight assembly is airtight by clamping it.
Old 8th September 2008, 12:40   #12
BHPian

Thanks for letting me know. From the face of it, looks like the assembly as such is closed tight. One of the two clamps that holds it in position has come off. I will get it rechecked though.

Thanks again for posting your inputs.

Chakri
Old 15th May 2010, 19:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to bump an old thread, but how easy is it to replace the bulbs on a stile ? worth attempting ourselves or does it mandate a visit to the service center ? only worried about the fogging issue in palios
Old 15th May 2010, 21:18   #14
BHPian

ravin anna,
i have tried changing bulbs in palio,stile,linea and also my punto.it is very easy compared to many other cars.actually many of the parts in fiat are plug and play.
Old 15th May 2010, 21:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

thanks vignesh saar, thinking of picking up osram night breakers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks