Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2008, 15:19   #1
BHPian

Crash Guard & Arm rest for SWIFT VDI

I recently upgraded my car from a Santro to SWIFT VDI.

Aft a month of usage I feel that this car definitely needs a crash guard/bumper guard.
the Bumper of Swift is very delicate is mostly held by clips.
Has any swift owners fixed a crash guard/bumper guard and a Rear bumper guard (like in Innova).
I tried in car accesory shops in bangalore & coimbatore but was told that if crash guards are fixed in small cars/hatch they tend to touch the ground when going over speedbreakers/humps, hence most small car owners avoid fixing them.
So members pls help.

Another accesory which i feel is necessary is a drivers side arm rest or a centre console box between the driver seat & front passenger seat, near the hand brake (like in Innova).
Have any of you guys got it.

Can we fix a Air horn (only for highway use, not in city) in the swift. as I see the Diesel Swift's bonet is filled with engine & other stuff & I dont see any place where to fix a Air horn (3 red pipe horns plus a motor & interconecting pipes). there is no space at all. the OEM horn is horrible. On highways even cyclists dont give way, forget trucks.

Another thing:
My wife delivered a baby girl few months back.
So was thing of getting a child seat/baby seat.
any idea where it is available & how much it costs.
Is it really useful or a useless gadget.

Pls help & thanks in advance

Mod, pls move thread to relevant section if required.Thanks
Old 28th August 2008, 16:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMINC View Post
I recently upgraded my car from a Santro to SWIFT VDI.
Congratulations!!!

Quote:
Aft a month of usage I feel that this car definitely needs a crash guard/bumper guard.
the Bumper of Swift is very delicate is mostly held by clips.
Has any swift owners fixed a crash guard/bumper guard and a Rear bumper guard (like in Innova).
I tried in car accesory shops in bangalore & coimbatore but was told that if crash guards are fixed in small cars/hatch they tend to touch the ground when going over speedbreakers/humps, hence most small car owners avoid fixing them.
So members pls help.
Correct, Your accessories shop owner is correct. Why do you want to spoil the look of swift? Also why you are crash driving so need of crash guards in swift?

Quote:
Another accesory which i feel is necessary is a drivers side arm rest or a centre console box between the driver seat & front passenger seat, near the hand brake (like in Innova).
Have any of you guys got it.
You can get this. But I am not sure how much modifications required in fitting those hand rests.

Quote:
Can we fix a Air horn (only for highway use, not in city) in the swift. as I see the Diesel Swift's bonet is filled with engine & other stuff & I dont see any place where to fix a Air horn (3 red pipe horns plus a motor & interconecting pipes). there is no space at all. the OEM horn is horrible. On highways even cyclists dont give way, forget trucks.
Air (or Train) horns. It should be big NO NO in car like swift. Instead you can go for Roots WindTone (Skoda OEM) horns. You get these horns in Rs 450 and Rs 550 two models. IMHO even if you fit train horns those truck drivers will never put side their truck give you side on just honking. Normally I did not have any problem driving on higways with those truck guys (To be honest), usually they give side when there is adequate place/situation.

Quote:
Another thing:
My wife delivered a baby girl few months back.
So was thing of getting a child seat/baby seat.
any idea where it is available & how much it costs.
Is it really useful or a useless gadget.
Again congratulations!!!.

You can get child seats in Shopper Stop, LifeStyle, Bangalore Central etc shops or malls. Prices starts from Rs. 2500 onwards.

Hope this helps...
Old 28th August 2008, 18:17   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Most after-market crash guards cause structural damage to your car in the case of an accident. Trust me, you are better off without one.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2008, 18:33   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Most after-market crash guards cause structural damage to your car in the case of an accident. Trust me, you are better off without one.
Add to that it looks horrible!
Rudra Sen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2008, 19:03   #5
rippergeo

I have nudged quite a few objects with the swifts bumper. it takes really hard hits to cause any serious damage. so far, just have a dent on the underside of the front bumper. I've been rear ended thrice and escaped without damage. all were mild hits. the bumper deforms easily then bounces back if its a low speed impact.

crash gaurds will reduce the GC and cause damage to the chassis if you even scrape a tall bump at highway speeds. they also tend to lift the front wheels of you car off the ground when you attempt to go over a bump, leaving you stranded with the front wheels spinning in the air.

add to that, the reduced safety.

there is a very nice install of a arm rest in hydrashok's swift. have a look.

Old 28th August 2008, 19:13   #6
BHPian

Please avoid the crash guard as it serves no purpose other than reduce scratches.Center Arm rest available MGA stock at the dealer itself. I got it for Rs 1500 see my garage for a photo.
Old 28th August 2008, 20:20   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on new arrivals in your family. (car and baby)

Do not put crash guard for swift. It looks awful. If you install the armrest in drivers side, there might some objection to the shifting of gears since this is not an OE fitment. Pls check out if this is really feasible.

AFAIK, air horns are banned. Hence putting them is not feasible. You can use the other available models as anuj has said.

The baby seats are available in most of the malls (Forum, Total, Shoppers stop, Lifestyle) to name a few. If you want further details, pls pm akroy. He has recently purchased one and may be of some help to you.
Old 29th August 2008, 16:52   #8
BHPian

Thanks a lot guys for all the responses.
Hydrashok PMed me that armrest/centre console box costed him Rs.1500-1800/-.
I checked up at all Maruti Dealer in Bnagalore & in car accesory shops in JC Road nobody has it except Car Shringar & he is quoting Rs.2000.
What shall I do ? Should I pick it up in JC road or shall i buy it when I pass through Cochin or Coimbatore.
Old 29th August 2008, 17:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What shall I do ? Should I pick it up in JC road or shall i buy it when I pass through Cochin or Coimbatore.
It depends on the below 2 queries:
1)How urgent it is?
2) When are you going for Cochin or Coimbatore?

IMO, difference of Rs.500~200 is not much and you can go ahead and buy the same.
Old 29th August 2008, 17:56   #10
BHPian

I guess I'll pick it up from Car Shringar on JC road
Old 24th November 2008, 12:02   #11
BHPian

can someone suggest a shop for buying center arm rest for swift in chennai...
any specific brand/ price & pic if possible
Old 24th November 2008, 13:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

Now since the topic of arm rest is up can any one in Delhi suggest where i can pick up one for my aveo as well?? Preferably around Jor Bagh area woud be great.
Old 24th November 2008, 13:45   #13
BHPian

Quote:
I guess I'll pick it up from Car Shringar on JC road
Dude once you gave fitted the centre armrest do post a picture, I myself may go in for one.
Old 24th November 2008, 14:23   #14
BHPian

Dont you get OE armrest with seift zxi?. I think armrest of Sx4 will work well with swift's, even a better option will be Dezire(Only if it has armrest?)
Old 24th November 2008, 15:13   #15
BANNED

Guys what about the Spoiler for Swift how much it costs, seen in many Swifts and felt like even my car needs that(just for looks).
Do they drill the metal for fixing it or how? as i dont want any damage which leads to rustings in body.

Most Viewed