Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2008, 06:34   #61
BHPian

can pls post more info on old Willys winch

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaniac View Post
He also has an old winch, Which I guess is from an old willy's and is prepared to part with it for 600 bucks, I have no idea about the winch performance.
What kind of winch is that? Is it a PTO winch? Can you please post a picture of the winch(600 bucks wallah, not Chinese winch)?

One of my friend is looking for PTO winch for his '67 Willys Jeep. So wanted to know more info on that old willys winch.

Thank you
-Vaspro
Old 10th September 2008, 08:20   #62
BHPian

@ yamaniac

congrats bro that is a very nice jeep of yours
Old 10th September 2008, 09:16   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
ok!! Now here is the first pic of the jeep I could take today. I am yet to remove all the names that are on the windshield. Check it out.
Also the rear right tyre went flat today so I had to put the spare one which is not NDMS. Also What do you guys think about the colour? I am thinking of making it completely black or white, Bythe way its a "2K company paint" on the MM.
Quote:
Here is the interior of the jeep. Those are supposed to be gypsy bucket seat. Thats what the owner said. Also check out the handles dropping down from th e top for the rear side passengers to hang on! This was a practical family jeep for the owner! NOT ANY MORE!
Quote:
Here is the rear of the jeep "Note the wrong hologram on the back it says cj500 DIESEL" Also the stop signal sign has to GO!!! These are it for now! will click more of the interiors and the dash and post it! Any ideas for modifications are welcome!

Buddy, Thats a great MM540 you have managed to find yourself. The current color looks good. Save that money on some other work that you could do on the MM.

It seems that most people are finding hidden gems (MM540/550) these days. Lots of gems waiting to be unearthed.

Stick with NDMS if the majority of your drive is going to be through your estate/muddy roads. Nothing, I repeat, NOTHING comes close to NDMS in mud/slush.

Quote:
Here is the pic of my estate terrain in chikmaglur, I couldn't click a lot of snaps as I was the only one driving and the only one clicking snaps. Of course these look like a few easy tracks. The rest of the most difficult tracks, I was busy trying to maneuver the jeep! Hope this helps the explanation I had provided earlier.

Nice estate buddy. So when do you invite us there
Old 10th September 2008, 10:33   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Buddy, Thats a great MM540 you have managed to find yourself. The current color looks good. Save that money on some other work that you could do on the MM.

It seems that most people are finding hidden gems (MM540/550) these days. Lots of gems waiting to be unearthed.

Stick with NDMS if the majority of your drive is going to be through your estate/muddy roads. Nothing, I repeat, NOTHING comes close to NDMS in mud/slush.
Thanks Khan, I was looking for a jeep from a long time, Traveling around the state just hoping to find a Good MM and then loosing hope. But I had no idea I would find one in my own town. I test drove this MM and said to myself "this is it".

Also I will be traveling to my estate in the 540. And will be cruising the estate in the estate jeep DI 4x4. But the 540 is now my daily ride and planning to put in alloys and wider tires. And the current tires and disc's will be shifted to the estate jeep. I am planning to retire the wagon-R and keep it as a family car.

Quote:
It seems that most people are finding hidden gems (MM540/550) these days. Lots of gems waiting to be unearthed

There are quiet a lot of MM540's in Mangalore & Chikmaglur area. Those interested can PM me and I will see if i can get a good one.

Quote:
Nice estate buddy. So when do you invite us there

Any time khan, We can actually keep a 4x4 event in the estate, There are much more difficult routes to conquer from other than which I drove through.
Old 10th September 2008, 10:38   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeel View Post
@ yamaniac

congrats bro that is a very nice jeep of yours
Thanks Akeel! Your MM540 is awesome too! and Wow you got AC too! By the way.. I think we both got a same problem. Cabin heating after a while. I spoke to my mechanic he said it can be stopped if we put in a tar or rubber matting inside the cabin area and completely cover the floor. Let me know if you find some new solution.
Old 10th September 2008, 10:46   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaspro View Post
What kind of winch is that? Is it a PTO winch? Can you please post a picture of the winch(600 bucks wallah, not Chinese winch)?

One of my friend is looking for PTO winch for his '67 Willys Jeep. So wanted to know more info on that old willys winch.
I have no idea if its a PTO winch, But I also know there are lots of Old winches available at the Junkyard here. which you can bag for dirt cheap! As Mangalore has a naval base, the port used to keep lots of willy's. And after a few years, sold it to some scrap dealers and they dismantled the jeep and sold their parts, But some of the old Willy's parts are still available. Like the shovel, Gun holder, seats, steering wheel, winch etc. But they are in OK condition. I will make sure I go there and see if i can get my hands on those winches and few old parts.
Old 10th September 2008, 11:09   #67
Senior - BHPian

Hi yamaniac,
Thats a nice looking 540. Good find for a good price. You need to do the following to give it a bit of personal touch-

1. Change tyres and go for alloy wheels

2. Remove those stickers

3. put a nice looking auxillary lamps

This will transform the looks of your vehicle.

Enjoy your MM540!

regards

vinod
Old 10th September 2008, 11:28   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, i had a firsthand experience with that statement.
Good tyres make your vehicle look good, but what good looks gonna do when they get stuck. Sandgrips go bald in slush. So, select your tyres wisely based on your driving situations in and around your estate.
Read this

Regarding the heat, Its mostly because of padding. Seal off all possible holes open to the cabin. Even the ones where wires run. That will keep you cool.

BTW, great looking jeep u have got yammy. Just remove all the stickers immediately. Wash it off with petrol to remove the stick stains.
I dont think you have to spend anything on the looks. Its already loaded.
The indicators on the fenders are gone, and that adds a lot of beauty to the beast.

Hey, beautiful estate you have got there. Please post a few more pics of the estate. Just hoping to see if we can plan a bring-your-own-tent meet there some time.

Krishna.
Old 10th September 2008, 11:56   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Quote:
Also I will be traveling to my estate in the 540. And will be cruising the estate in the estate jeep DI 4x4. But the 540 is now my daily ride and planning to put in alloys and wider tires. And the current tires and disc's will be shifted to the estate jeep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittigadu View Post
Good tyres make your vehicle look good, but what good looks gonna do when they get stuck. Sandgrips go bald in slush. So, select your tyres wisely based on your driving situations in and around your estate.
Read this
I agree with Khan_sultan and Krishna's comments above. In Mud/slush driving NDMS tyres perform better. Heck my friend even suggested me to acquire a set of steel rims and NDMS tyres for off-roading in Mud :-)

My suggestion:
1. If you plan to stick with NDMS, try to get 7.00/16.00 NDMS tyres (regular ones are 6.00/16.00). They are wider by 1inch.

2. If you want to go with Alloys and wider tyres you can consider Yokohama Geolander A/T Tyres. My jeep got 31"X10.5" inchers. They are good off road tyres too. But IMO they are second best in mud/slush situations.

3. Dont go for Sandgrip tyres since your driving mostly on highway and in your estate.

Cheers!
-Vaspro
Old 10th September 2008, 12:05   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Hi yamaniac,
Thats a nice looking 540. Good find for a good price. You need to do the following to give it a bit of personal touch-

1. Change tyres and go for alloy wheels

2. Remove those stickers

3. put a nice looking auxillary lamps

This will transform the looks of your vehicle.

Enjoy your MM540!

regards

vinod
Thanks Vinod. I have already ordered for the auxiliary lamps, should be here by this Saturday. Will be posting more pics once they are installed. Stickers I removed them myself last night and was at it from 12:00 am to 2:00 Am. The stickers on the glass was very easy and could be removed nicely but on the glass frame? took me hell lot of time and got a badly wounded thumbnail

I am yet to decide what tyres? and the alloys? I like the Rays Gram-Light
Alloys. Gives a unique look! Are the Gypsy's alloys the same PSD as the MM540's?
Old 10th September 2008, 12:13   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaspro View Post
I agree with Khan_sultan and Krishna's comments above. In Mud/slush driving NDMS tyres perform better. Heck my friend even suggested me to acquire a set of steel rims and NDMS tyres for off-roading in Mud :-)

My suggestion:
1. If you plan to stick with NDMS, try to get 7.00/16.00 NDMS tyres (regular ones are 6.00/16.00). They are wider by 1inch.

2. If you want to go with Alloys and wider tyres you can consider Yokohama Geolander A/T Tyres. My jeep got 31"X10.5" inchers. They are good off road tyres too. But IMO they are second best in mud/slush situations.

3. Dont go for Sandgrip tyres since your driving mostly on highway and in your estate.

Cheers!
-Vaspro
Hey vaspro! I love your jeep man! Its done up very nicely! Actually when i saw shekar's ad in the classified I was interested and gave him a call! But he did not recieve my calls And you got the jeep! . The good thing is it was taken up by an enthusiast and a Team-BHP member, who will take good care of it. you painted it white? looks sexier. Your 31"X10.5" inchers are amazing gives a good and a macho look too. Also what is the PSD of your alloys? and the make?
Old 10th September 2008, 12:32   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittigadu View Post
Read this

Regarding the heat, Its mostly because of padding. Seal off all possible holes open to the cabin. Even the ones where wires run. That will keep you cool.

BTW, great looking jeep u have got yammy. Just remove all the stickers immediately. Wash it off with petrol to remove the stick stains.
I dont think you have to spend anything on the looks. Its already loaded.
The indicators on the fenders are gone, and that adds a lot of beauty to the beast.
Thanks Kitty!
But nothing to beat your jeep dude! If mahindra opts to sell the XD 4x4 for public, I will be the first one to book it.

Regarding the heat. There are lot of holes (Company made) which were meant for wiring in the cabin, below the dash board. When going at a constant speed the air moves inside the cabin thus getting all the engine heat inside. After driving along for say about 40 kms or so, i feel like i have run a marathon and I sweat like crazy. I spoke to my mechanic he said we need to put in tar sheets on the whole cabin area and seal the hole. Phew.
Right now there is nothing to be done one the jeep except for the extra accessories. The ex owner has taken care of it like his baby! and was literally in tears when he gave it away! but told him not to worry! its in good Hands now.. A hands of a Team BHP member.

Quote:
Hey, beautiful estate you have got there. Please post a few more pics of the estate. Just hoping to see if we can plan a bring-your-own-tent meet there some time.
Sure kitty, with pleasure. You guys can hop in anytime. But right now its the coffee picking season and also the area is leech infested. Best time would be after october when there are no rains. We guys can camp inside the estate area to give it a more rigid feel. We can even spark up fire using stones..and cook chicken on camp fire cooking.
Old 10th September 2008, 12:39   #73
BHPian

By the way here are a few more of the estate pics that you wanted to see Kitty. Its greenery everywhere and my weekend getaway.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra MM540 SDP? EDIT : XDP-estate2.jpg  

Mahindra MM540 SDP? EDIT : XDP-estate3.jpg  

Mahindra MM540 SDP? EDIT : XDP-estate4.jpg  

Mahindra MM540 SDP? EDIT : XDP-estate6.jpg  

Last edited by yamaniac : 10th September 2008 at 12:43.
Old 10th September 2008, 12:39   #74
Team-BHP Support

yamaniac, offroaders prefer rains and leaches over dry terrain. That is why most OTRs are held during monsoon.

That's a very nicely maintained MM540, very impressive looks. Please don't do anything to the paint job. In the coastal area we need to worry about rust. So don't mess with original paint.
Old 10th September 2008, 12:47   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
yamaniac, offroaders prefer rains and leaches over dry terrain. That is why most OTRs are held during monsoon.

That's a very nicely maintained MM540, very impressive looks. Please don't do anything to the paint job. In the coastal area we need to worry about rust. So don't mess with original paint.
Thanks Samurai,

Quote:
Seriously? If that's the case, lets have one soon!

Quote:
Please don't do anything to the paint job. In the coastal area we need to worry about rust. So don't mess with original paint.
you're right! Right now, I am more worried about rust than anything else. Need a few pointers as to how to avoid it getting rusted.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks