Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2008, 15:32   #106
BHPian

your jeep looks neat bro.have you resolved the heating issue inside the cabin?my jeep suffers the same problem.gets heated inside after a few kms of running.
Old 17th September 2008, 15:49   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princezahed View Post
your jeep looks neat bro.have you resolved the heating issue inside the cabin?my jeep suffers the same problem.gets heated inside after a few kms of running.
Thanks bro! I have not resolved the issue yet, I have to keep the Jeep in this week at the mechanics to solve it.
Old 17th September 2008, 16:48   #108
BHPian

ok.let me know how it goes.
Old 17th September 2008, 19:01   #109
BHPian

@yamanic,

Please let me know once it is done and if it has solved the problem so that i could do it on my jeep as well
Old 13th October 2008, 12:47   #110
BHPian

Brake fail

Hey guys! Sorry couldn't keep you updated on my mm540 for the past couple of weeks, had a hell lots of work at office completing some assignments and very tight schedules. So here are a few updates.

Last week I was casually driving around the city, and one of my worst Nightmares came true. Yep! BRAKE FAIL!!!!!! But before that somewhere here on the Team-Bhp threads I had asked this question about What will one do in case of a brake fail? and was told the brakes will give sufficient warning before it fails. But in my case it was not so. Man!!! Was an experience of a life time.

So as I said' I was just driving the jeep around the city with a couple of my friends and was about to overtake a bus ahead of me, I had almost overtook the bus half way through and to my horror there was a rickshaw coming from the opposite direction say about 50 FT away. And I did what everyone would do hit the brakes and go back behind the bus as the roads here are a bit narrow. To my horror there were no brakes at all, The pedals just went in and there was no pressure on the brakes they just went in as if I was stepping on a piece of sponge. I was doing around 60 KM/H, I shifted to lower gears as fast as possible from 4rd to 3rd I could not shift to second but at this point of time the auto was almost close to hitting the jeep. but luckily the Auto guy stopped to the edge of the road giving me enough space to slow down but obviously with a few insults and rage from the auto guy. From there I started applying the gear brakes and some how stopped the vehicle on a pile of sand near a construction site nearby with a jerk. All of us were shocked and no one spoke for a few seconds, With a question mark on everyone's face. I called up my mechanic and told him the situation. He advised me to keep the jeep where it is right now and he will come back a bit later and pick it up.

So the mechanic took the jeep to the garage and gave me a call saying the the main brake cylinder from where the oil is pumped has given away. and thus the brake oil fluid had leaked out completely. I asked him to replace it . He said he can repair it but I did not want to take any chances. So he replaced it. The front disc brakes masthead had worn out, asked him to replace it. The rollers in the disc were cheaper ones replaced by the previous owner. The result was during braking the jeep steered to the left. Asked him to replace it and so it was done. I also changed the rear shackles on the chassis and the left side spring plate was also broken, thus giving a huge thud sound in pothole situations. replaced with a new one. And yes I wanted to replace all fluids including engine oil change, radiator cleaning etc. The jeep stood in the garage for 2 days after which I went to pick it up.

The parts installed were quiet a lot , I might have to scan it and upload it here but here are a few grim highlights.

Main brake kit :1400 Rs
Mast heads:1200 Rs
Rollers: 600 Rs
engine oil change:1200 Rs
labour 1000Rs.
And a lot of other parts.
Total Bill: 8250 Rupees.

But the feeling of driving a jeep with new set of brakes PRICELESS.

The jeep was now smoother and felt safer.

I am a newbie to jeeps and trust me each experience is making me stronger, As I am pretty new to diesel vehicles and especially jeeps. I would suggest everybody to do a first hand inspection of brakes while buying a second hand jeep, Or else it might cost someone their life.

And today was a big day for the MM540. Total modifications, Want it to be like how I dreamed it to be. So I took her to the garage today morning to start with the alterations. So keep checking this thread as I will be posting pictures from the start of the Mods till the End.

Cheers!

Last edited by yamaniac : 13th October 2008 at 12:51. Reason: spelling corrections
Old 13th October 2008, 20:52   #111
BHPian

That is truly scary. Glad to know you guys got out of it unscathed. More so for me, since I'm about to buy and drive one back all the way from KL to MH in a week or so. Can't take these things for granted I guess.

And replacing the whole master cylinder assembly was a wise choice, the way I see it. Complete peace of mind. Well, hope the jeep doesn't throw any more surprises at ya. Take care and drive safe.
Old 5th December 2008, 01:06   #112
Senior - BHPian

Hi yamaniac
Any updates on the Jeep. Did you change the Jeep to a 4x4 or still driving with a 2WD system. The break fail was still scary . I hope now its ok.

I too am thinking of buy a 550DP ( it has the same engine as the 540) and want to convert it to 4x4 drive system.
Old 5th December 2008, 15:43   #113
BHPian

4x4 is a must for Jeep. I do not know why company makes 2wd models.

Last edited by DesertKing : 5th December 2008 at 15:51.
Old 6th December 2008, 19:38   #114
BHPian

my 540xd underwent an engine overhaul.the engine sounds smoother but the problem is smoke coming from the exhaust under idling which thins out during acceleration.anyone know what could be the problem?the mechanic says the rings need some time to set and the smoke would disappear soon.the new engine has run about 200kms
Old 9th December 2008, 19:59   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Hi yamaniac
Any updates on the Jeep. Did you change the Jeep to a 4x4 or still driving with a 2WD system. The break fail was still scary . I hope now its ok.

I too am thinking of buy a 550DP ( it has the same engine as the 540) and want to convert it to 4x4 drive system.
hey Harjeev!
Lately, Have been very busy.. That I could not concentrate much on altering my jeep. Although the Jeeps got new brakes now. I am confident while driving it.

Doesn't 550 Dp come with a 4x4 drive? I saw one while I was in Madikeri once. The new dashboard of the 550 was really nice. But yes. All 540 owners looking for a latest dashboard can avail it directly from Mahindra. Costs around 3500 a piece. But is worth it
Old 9th December 2008, 20:39   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaniac View Post
hey Harjeev!
Lately, Have been very busy.. That I could not concentrate much on altering my jeep. Although the Jeeps got new brakes now. I am confident while driving it.

Doesn't 550 Dp come with a 4x4 drive? I saw one while I was in Madikeri once. The new dashboard of the 550 was really nice. But yes. All 540 owners looking for a latest dashboard can avail it directly from Mahindra. Costs around 3500 a piece. But is worth it
hey Yamanic,
Go to see that your jeep is comming out good.

I have abandoned my plans to buy and restore a 540/550.
Instead I will now be getting a new Mahindra Major 4x4 CL 550 and then will be modifying it as per my need and requirements.
Old 4th February 2010, 02:47   #117
BHPian

Back into action

Hey guys! Sorry was away for a long time, couldnt keep posting on the developments of my jeep. But lately there haven't been any. Was busy with loads of work and had to travel north for a couple of months. so..

I have started the mods on the jeep again. Hopefully this time will complete it. I am looking for two bucket seats. Used ones are fine.. Any one here has them and are willing to sell, please PM me

Lets throw up dirt again and eat cars for breakfast..

Pics and posts coming soon.
Old 11th February 2010, 21:09   #118
BHPian

updates..

Hey guys, I thought its now or never, The jeeps with me almost a year now and I havent started on the mods yet. Thanks to my work schedule. Woke up one fine day, took it to the mechanic and started on the project.

Here is the latest update on the mods. Got the soft top removed, as well as the steel rods and plates from the roof, had a lot of tinkering work. But finally got it removed. Took a drive from the mechanics to the painer, Got the ugly welding mars removed and got the welded areas painted.

Got the jeep back after 4 days, looked really cool, with out the soft top, And I really felt good driving it back... Its amazing driving an open jeep.

Got yokohama Geolanders 215 75 R15's 5 sets. Mounted on platy alloy wheels... The jeep look gorgeous.

After I installed the tires, The jeep became super smooth, I did not feel any pain steering with those large tires, And I felt it was the right size for looks and for great road control, ALthough breaking looks a bit affected, have to apply more pressure on the brakes to stop the vehicle. Also the rattles, while drving in the pot holed roads of Mangalore, The comfort has improved
far more.

Will post pics of this tomorrow, after clicking it

Ok, Now here is the part thats worrying me.

While engine breaking on second gear, The jeep makes noises.. I feel its from the gear box or is it rear axle? Not sure. It makes the same exact sound when you try to put the jeep on the reverse gear while its moving forward.

This also happens when you reverse the jeep, when you lift your foot from the accelerator the jeep comes to almost a sudden halt. (Jerk) in a very harsh manner with the same type of noise..

Is it because of the tires that I have installed? I see no part of it rubbing against the body of the jeep. Oh jeep gurus please guide me.

Here are a few pics of the top thats removed
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra MM540 SDP? EDIT : XDP-photo0094.jpg  

Mahindra MM540 SDP? EDIT : XDP-photo0095.jpg  

Mahindra MM540 SDP? EDIT : XDP-photo0096.jpg  

Mahindra MM540 SDP? EDIT : XDP-photo0097.jpg  

Mahindra MM540 SDP? EDIT : XDP-photo0098.jpg  

Old 11th February 2010, 22:49   #119
Team-BHP Support

The tyres have nothing to with your problems. You have installed a smaller tyre than most of us who prefer 235/75R15. When you switched from your slicks to Yokos, the braking should have improved, a lot.

First, check the brakes by opening all the drums. I suspect jammed pistons in the drums. Get the brake lines bled too.

I am not so sure about the sound part.
Old 11th February 2010, 23:15   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The tyres have nothing to with your problems. You have installed a smaller tyre than most of us who prefer 235/75R15. When you switched from your slicks to Yokos, the braking should have improved, a lot.

First, check the brakes by opening all the drums. I suspect jammed pistons in the drums. Get the brake lines bled too.

I am not so sure about the sound part.

hmmm I will open all the drums, I recently had done that, But again just to make sure that its fine. I think The sound part is from the gear box, I guess the clutch plate has to be replaced, Since the gears to have become hard - 1st and 2nd gear, I need to Declutch - accelerate a bit - Declutch and then these gears fall in place, Also when making slow turns on 2nd gear and 3rd gear especially, The gear immdeiately falls on neautral, I guess it needs a complete over haul. Not sure if this is a minor problem.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks