Team-BHP - Performance Tuning Box review
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Performance Tuning Box review (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/45313-performance-tuning-box-review.html)

Hello everyone,
I was posting on Hellstar's thread for the Verna and he gave me a good idea to start a new thread for people who are really keen on owning a performance tuning box OTHER than the much acclaimed Pete's tuning box for their CRDi (common rail diesel engine) Cars.

The only reason I bought a performance tuning box which is not Pete's which is so ever popular in these forums is because I could not digest the cost given to me by the dealer in my city. 31,000/- Rs.

So I decided to do a little bit of research on my own and take little risks. Well it was definitely worth it. Well yes considering I might have lost some money if it did not work but it SURELY DOES clap:

I bought 2 x PowerBox CR for common rail diesel engines, one of which is already installed on my Verna CRDi VGT and it has clocked about 5000 kms. with it working to my expectations. The good parts with the PowerBox CR is that :
1.) It has 24 rotations of adjustment settings for beefing up power.
2.) In all, 24 x 360 degree rotations would give you upto 25-30% more
than stock car.
3.) Does not void warranty since there is no need for cutting wires. Just
plug and play.
4.) Most importantly it works with a wide variety of cars like common rail
engines .... for eg. CRDi , CDi , HDi , TDCi and also is known to work on
the Fiat Palio & the Swift DDIS. So even if you decide to sell your car
you can retain the PowerBox CR by just unplugging it :)
5.) It cost me about 18,000/- per tuning box landed in India. How's that
for VFM ???

Below if a overview of the same:

The PowerBox CR works by modifying the electronic signals that control fuel pressure produced by the pump in order to optimize engine performance. The PowerBox CR senses and responds to changes in engine load/speed throughout the range of acceleration. With the PowerBox CR, pressure accumulates faster in the rail and is readily maintained to deliver more power and torque. The result is smooth and responsive acceleration that produces sportier handling. The increased torque produced by the PowerBox enables the engine to operate more efficiently, so fuel consumption is minimized.
The PowerBox CR is equipped with plugs that are compatible with those in your vehicle. With the instructions provided, an inexperienced driver can complete the installation in 5 minutes on most models. The PowerBox CR will not override the safe operating parameters of your engine and does not change or interfere with ECU functioning. Other features are highlighted in the product overview below

Product Overview: Please let me know if you have any questions and I shall be glad to be of assistance to fellow TBHPian's !!! Cheers ........

MODS Please move this thread to the appropriate section. I think I made a mistake in the section where I should have posted. Thanks :)

Good review. How about gtech'ing a 0 - 100 time so we can gauge the actual performance improvement? My only concern is that, this power box seems to be a one-size-fits-all. AFAIK, the boxes from Petes are fine-tuned to each individual engine's characteristics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 967277)
Good review. How about gtech'ing a 0 - 100 time so we can gauge the actual performance improvement? My only concern is that, this power box seems to be a one-size-fits-all. AFAIK, the boxes from Petes are fine-tuned to each individual engine's characteristics.

Hi GTO,
Thanks for your reply. And thanks for moving it to the appropriate section. Yes it is a sort of a one-size-fits-MOST lol. The company makes the PowerBox CR for most common rail diesel engines, they also make PowerBox PD for pump duese engines , and also for the older TDi engines which go into the likes of the Skoda Octavia, Fabia etc etc.

Pete's box surely must be a wonder for sure since it is fine tuned to give the best outright performance for individual cars and I also might speculate slightly better performance of the same. (have not tested it yet)

But I guess there are pro and cons for everything in the world. I would differentiate both between practicality to performance. For eg. Price + retainability + settings for the PowerBox CR as compared to outright performance and non-retainability for PSI Motorsport Box. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Lets say I own a diesel verna right now and after 2-3 years I wish to buy a Ford Fiesta TDCi I can use the PowerBox CR there. If I buy a Pete's Box dedicated for the CRDi Verna .... can I use it on a Fiesta TDCi ??

Cheers,
Adit.

Quote:

Oh yes, I have been meaning to do that ever since I installed the PowerBox CR ..... can you give me an idea where I can or who can help me out here ??

Cheers !!!

Nice! There are several other european manufacturers of plug-n-play boxes for diesel engines - there are quite a few alternatives available.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid (Post 967299)
Nice! There are several other european manufacturers of plug-n-play boxes for diesel engines - there are quite a few alternatives available.

Hi Steeroid,
For sure there are many manufacturers and I had a look at a lot of them. I make my decisions on a lot of things, its not just price. I emailed most of them and found out they were too lazy to respond. If at all I got a reply and I would ask another question which would bias my decision towards buying they would not take the liberty of searching their heads for answers and would make you feel like "you're just another indian who just asks questions, not a potential buyer".
Dave Chandler of TDC Tech. was the only one who answered my queries with the utmost respect and promptness that I would have asked for. Each question was treated with respect and individuality.
Hence the immediate decision to buy from them was invoked :)

Cheers !!!

Interesting!! Nice review.
Here's another tuning box i found on net.
Tunit Performance product range

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpzen (Post 967366)
Interesting!! Nice review.
Here's another tuning box i found on net.
Tunit Performance product range

Interesting - they have boxes for the full Tata range!

model
bhp
torque (lbs/ft)
before
after
before
after
Indica 1.4 DiCOR
Indica V2 DiCOR
Indigo CS DiCOR
Safari 2.2 DiCOR
Safari 3.0 DiCOR
Sumo Grande 2.2 DiCOR
Xenon 2.2 DiCOR
Xenon XT 3.0 DiCOR

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid (Post 967391)
Interesting - they have boxes for the full Tata range!

LOL thats phenomenal !!! So India is popular in tuning cars :)

The tunit box is really expensive, almost 40k.

Good review.

Cant understand the bit about power increase by not increasing fuel pressure but by "pressure accumulates faster in the rail ".. I think i will talk to these guys...

Quote:

Actual petes box has nothing to do with engine characteristics. There are 4-5 tuning boxes suitable for 4000+engines. It depends on fuel pump fitted into the engine. Think you got it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid (Post 967391)
model
bhp

torque (lbs/ft)

before

after

before

after

Safari 2.2 DiCOR

Safari 3.0 DiCOR

:Shockked:!!! Look at these figures, that is a bloody big boost for the 2.2L engine.
If its true then Scorpio mHAWK owners can try this too because the 2.2L DICOR and the 2.2L mHAWK are essentially the same engine designed by a firm in Australia for both TATA and M&M.

A Tuning Box delivering 96BHP increase with just electronics??? Can anybody please explain technically if this is possible and how.

@Sameel if you are following this, your tech inputs would be appreciated by all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhik (Post 967913)

A Tuning Box delivering 96BHP increase with just electronics??? Can anybody please explain technically if this is possible and how.

@Sameel if you are following this, your tech inputs would be appreciated by all.

dude its 20 bhp. i dunno how you got 96.